Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:26 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,994,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I am from the East Coast and have never seen the Pacific Ocean and would like to swim in there. I am looking for a beach near San Francisco but I don't want to swim in the bay.

Any suggestions? I was suggested Linda Mar Beach.

Also since I am young what are some cool bars I should check out? I am straight btw lol I know SF has a huge gay scene.
It is not commonly known among outsiders, but July is one of the worst times to visit SF actually. SF experiences an unusual weather phenomenon in SF during July in which it actually gets very cold and foggy. It is not like summer elsewhere. If you want to experience SF when it is actually warm, you have to come during its Indian Summers which occurs in the fall, September through early November. A lot of tourists think it will be hot in SF like elsewhere and show up in shorts and sandals only to find themselves freezing their butt off and purchasing an SF souvenir fleece jacket to wear immediately. Elsewhere in the Bay Area and California, they do have a real summer during July with sun and all that- just not SF due to its microclimate.

The waters in Northern California do tend to be colder. If you want beaches with sun, tanning, and all that, you have to go to Southern California. So Cal consisting of LA, Orange County, and San Diego, fit that stereotype of beaches, palm trees, California girls sun bathing more. It was not really Nor Cal that created that California image.

Northern California and Southern California are very different. A lot of people who visit one area of the other, tend to wrongly generalize what they experienced and saw there to the entire state.

If you want better swimming, you should head down to Santa Cruz- but like another poster said, it is more like surfing because the water is still kind of cold.

The best swimming I have ever experienced at a California beach was in San Diego at La Jolla Shores beach. Beautiful beach and quintessentially Californian. You can do some snorkeling there too. So if you want the typical California beach culture, maybe you should redirect your vacation towards further down the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 PM

632 posts, read 933,284 times
Quote:
I like music, bars, adventure, hands on things, but not really museums or arts.

I have one day in San Fran...No real flexibility because this is just a one whole day stop in a 27 day road trip. I am actually coming from Denver....Zion...Grand Canyon....Vegas...Death Valley....Yosemite.
If you only have one day, I'd recommend just seeing some of the famout sights like the GG bridge or maybe ride a cable car on Powel St. There are a lot of bars in The Mission District.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,567 times
I am kind of limited coming from yosemite...also my schedule isn't flexible either since SF is just one stop in my month long trip.

Guess I am going to have to hope for the best!

Good places to catch lunch? dinner?

Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,399,070 times
Coming from a place where summer is extremely long, hot, and humid, I think summer vacations in SF are the best thing ever!!! That a place can be so cool and foggy in the middle of the summer is a very badly needed respite and also absolutely magical. You guys can have Baywatch. I'd much rather visit Point Reyes. One more thing about visiting San Francisco, the hills are very steep. Walking can be more challenging than you'd ever though possible. But that's half the fun. Good views from many different spots. Across the Golden Gate bridge in Marin County probably has the best views of the city.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,072 times
If you are lucky, Point Reyes may be fog free, and worth the drive.
I made that trip four times, just to see cows in the fog, but the fifth trip was worth it.

If you only have a day in SF, I suggest wandering around the Embarcadero, and Fisherman's Wharf area and then dinner at the Stinking Rose.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
SF has it's own weather. It's bizarre, really. Get out of SF and it's sunny and warm.

Mark Twain has a famous quote that I'm forgetting - something about the summer he spent in SF was the coldest winter of his life or something or other. You just cross the bay even from Oakland, and you know to take layers, because it can be so much colder, foggier and windier in SF.

Now, there are beautiful warm days, too. Maybe you will prove us all wrong and hit a heat wave LOL! But, the ocean will be cold. That's for sure :-)

Old 12-13-2013, 02:12 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,635 times
The only tolerable beach that time of year is probably going to be Santa Cruz, although there is a fluke in the weather now and then. I had family visit me in the spring of last year and the weather at Ocean Beach was phenomenally beautiful. Nicest day I've ever seen out there, as it's usually cold, foggy, and/or windy.

For gay bars, go to the Castro. Try around 18th & Castro specifically. For regular bars, go to the Mission District. Try the area around 16th & Valencia. If you want to hang out with your bros, give North Beach a shot. If you are too good for everything else, there's always the Marina. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:02 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,567 times
Well now that I think about it I am coming from some of the hottest places in Utah and the Grand Canyon where I am going to actually hike down near Supai. So maybe some cold will be good for me! Especially since earlier that week I am going to be in death valley!

How's Mama's Breakfast?

Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times
Quote:
Lol I was asking about bars that weren't gay bars bro...July usually is overcast in SF? Why do people live in this part of California? lol Can't swim, cold water, pollution, and those smelly seals on Pier 39.
The bars that aren't gay bars are in the neighborhoods where the gay bars aren't.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Why do people live in this part of California? lol
The short answer: Because it's NOT L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland