Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:36 AM

5 posts, read 11,389 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
my partner and i are thinking of moving to San francisco to attend graduate school. we're both middle eastern and we're thinking of living there after taking our masters. but how friendly is san francisco (the bay area)?? we did visit the place for like 4 days and loved it. but we're not sure if we're going to meet people and have friends and all.. its a big change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 01:58 PM

we just wanna know how friendly is san francisco after you live in it? Especially if you're an middle Eastern, is there any LGBT middle eastern group or meet ups?! any tips or advices would be really helpful. thank you.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:02 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,468,275 times
I don't know about groups or meetups (I'm sure you could Google that) but your biggest problem in SF -- by far -- will be trying to afford it. The rental market is the cruelest gatekeeper there is, and the only people against whom it discriminates are poor ones, i.e. those earning less than $100K.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I don't know about groups or meetups (I'm sure you could Google that) but your biggest problem in SF -- by far -- will be trying to afford it. The rental market is the cruelest gatekeeper there is, and the only people against whom it discriminates are poor ones, i.e. those earning less than $100K.
Been trying to google around and can't find much. maybe its just hard to google for things like that from here. half of the websites here are blocked. I guess we're gonna do that when we're in SF. Rent isn't a main issue for now only because we'll be staying in campus housing. but i did read that they're pretty expensive, kind of like where I'm from. Thank you so much for the reply.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Here's a listing of resources, which includes a couple of gay groups (though one is apparently for men only):

Resources

I know there are a few mosques (assuming you and your partner are Muslim) as well as narghile bars etc. But then I suppose you might encounter anti-gay discrimination from other community members.

I should add that if you're political at all, and even perhaps if you aren't, you might find yourselves -- merely by virtue of your ethnicity -- drawn into pro-Palestinian, anti-Israel politics, which are omnipresent in the Bay Area and particularly in academia.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
This is not Nebreska, I can almost guarantee you that if you have a problem in SF, that problem will not be about race or sexual orientation. If publicly naked transgender potheads with outsized egos can be accepted here, there's no reason you won't be. The only people who may have a problem here are Republicans, ok kidding; half kidding.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushixoxo View Post
we just wanna know how friendly is san francisco after you live in it? Especially if you're an middle Eastern, is there any LGBT middle eastern group or meet ups?! any tips or advices would be really helpful. thank you.
You could start one. There are Islamic associations around the Bay Area. You might be able to start there, at least for a sense of community, and do some kind of networking. Or....maybe not. You decide.

http://www.iseb.org/

http://www.mcceastbay.org/

Old 03-28-2014, 03:34 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,666,155 times
you should have almost no problem with being lesbian in San Francisco or the greater bay area. Where you might run into problems is within the Arab community where being gay is not equal opportunity where being a gay man is kept "secret" but really it is more or less accepted as boys will be boys being lesbian is not accepted. But if you were going to find a community of Arab lesbians anywhere on earth this is where you would find it.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:28 PM

we're not really muslims, i mean my partner is an atheist and i believe in god but not in religion so that isnt a problem at all. we just meant the who arab lesbian thing. and if its a friendly place? if its easy to live there and be apart of a community??

Thank you SOOO much for all of your replies, they were helpful ^_^

Old 03-31-2014, 01:37 PM

Sure, as long as you can find your niche. Many people here have a compulsive need to be "interesting" in some way, and to have friends who are "interesting" in similar ways -- but merely being gay, or even being a gay Arab, is probably not enough. You'll have to find a smaller niche. It'll help if you're really "into" something -- people in SF are heavily into being "into" things -- like music, art, theatre, yoga, etc. Or even organized outdoor activities like hiking or biking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland