Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 12:05 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
Your spiel is almost as bad as the OP.
Subjective opinion.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
I concur. I wonder what it's like to be in such desperate need of attention...
Don't be so childish. I don't jump on the 'bash the homeless guy' bandwagon, so I'm the enemy now! Lol.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:55 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorjpj1 View Post
I hate to repeat myself, but ill say it again: there IS no work for someone in my position... I haven't been able to be hired anywhere in almost 8 years now... Just trying filling out an application without an address, references, or job history! Good luck.. Generally only someone is homeless, UNLESS someone of means reaches down in the gutter and helps them out of it, and without a support system that actually works, they will probably be homeless for life! As is the case with me... Also, until you've walked in my shoes, you can't really judge me, or any poor desperate person.. You can talk about "opportunities" til the cows come home, but they are not available for many!! I speak whereof I know..
Most of the so-called "programs", are set-up SPECIFICALLY for bums fighting addictions, be it drugs or alcohol.. And the very few programs that exist for non-addicted homeless have waiting lists so long they might as well not be there.. Almost impossible to get on.. For example, in portland, there was a housing list, but it was 2 years long!! And thats IF you have some kind of income!! If you have nothing, you can't even get on the list!!
Many bums get checks of some type from the government, either disabled, or vets, or some kind of welfare... And many COULD get off the streets if they could stop their vices, but they choose to spend their checks on drugs/alcohol... In all my years being homeless, I am one of the very few who cant seem to get a check for anything!! So I receive zero real "help", hence my continuing homeless status anywhere I go!
No drug/alcohol addiction, the only thing that is keeping you homeless is your hopelessness + your list of excuses. You don't have an end game because you don't want one. I'd suggest seeing a mental heath worker, and a job councelor, if you really want to find work and get off the streets.

I don't think San Francisco is the best place, if you truly want to succeed. The cost of living is high, and the drastic weather changes can take you though four seasons in a 24 hour period.

If you don't have any vices and you don't panhandle, what do you do all day?

Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM

78 posts, read 86,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
No drug/alcohol addiction, the only thing that is keeping you homeless is your hopelessness + your list of excuses. You don't have an end game because you don't want one. I'd suggest seeing a mental heath worker, and a job councelor, if you really want to find work and get off the streets.

I don't think San Francisco is the best place, if you truly want to succeed. The cost of living is high, and the drastic weather changes can take you though four seasons in a 24 hour period.

If you don't have any vices and you don't panhandle, what do you do all day?
Well lets see... I hang out at burger king cause they don't kick me out, go find a shower once a day somewhere, go hang at the library, go to a supermarket with chairs and wifi, starbucks, they dont kick me out either, even though I don't buy anything! And before I know it its time to sneak into the storage building I sleep in before they lock the doors, otherwise id be on a sidewalk! Youd be amazed how fast the day goes by wandering from place to place! Yesterday I spent the day taking pics of landmarks in the french quarter. Yes, i find things to do.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Don't be so childish. I don't jump on the 'bash the homeless guy' bandwagon, so I'm the enemy now! Lol.
Yeah, your the enemy. Just like me! Haha. People who have love to bash on the homeless, until it happens to them. Then they end up singing a different tune

Old 07-18-2014, 07:12 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Yeah, your the enemy.
Hey, prof, watch the spelling. And good luck. Write to us from San Fran. (I still think Seattle would be a better ticket for you, but...whatever.)

Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 PM

406 posts, read 435,862 times
Been following this thread for a bit now.

OP, I want to believe you, I really do because there are so many in this country that are in similar situations such as yours, but theres one part of your posts that doesnt check out with me that went unchallenged. You mentioned food stamps, aka coupons and "selling" them. AKAIK, they dont produce the stamps anymore and havent since the 90s at least. It is called electronics benefit transfer now and selling a cashless benefit it seems would be darn near impossible. Also having 300 per month for a single man without children is frankly laughable. Youd be lucky to get less than 200 per month.

Secondly, wifi. Most fast food dining rooms have limited hours, something like 9-9, not the 24 hour drive thru hours reserved for cars. I highly doubt the BK dining room is open at 6:30 am in the Big Easy, but hey who knows.

As I said believe it or not I want to believe you I really do. I know what its like being stuck in a crazy situation.

If you are for real, Id honestly suggest Southern California, LA by the beach. Im also someone that despises heat, but honestly when you are exposed to the elements even if not homeless 75 at night sounds a lot better than shivering in 50 and in SoCal or Norcal without eastern humidity make that 39 or 45. Id rather be in LA or Miami exposed to the elements in that case.

Anyway, good luck to you. I hope you can get a place, where theres a will theres a way, sometimes we have to go to places without the best climates to make it to provide a roof, but it is doable.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Been following this thread for a bit now.

OP, I want to believe you, I really do because there are so many in this country that are in similar situations such as yours, but theres one part of your posts that doesnt check out with me that went unchallenged. You mentioned food stamps, aka coupons and "selling" them. AKAIK, they dont produce the stamps anymore and havent since the 90s at least. It is called electronics benefit transfer now and selling a cashless benefit it seems would be darn near impossible. Also having 300 per month for a single man without children is frankly laughable. Youd be lucky to get less than 200 per month.

Secondly, wifi. Most fast food dining rooms have limited hours, something like 9-9, not the 24 hour drive thru hours reserved for cars. I highly doubt the BK dining room is open at 6:30 am in the Big Easy, but hey who knows.

As I said believe it or not I want to believe you I really do. I know what its like being stuck in a crazy situation.

If you are for real, Id honestly suggest Southern California, LA by the beach. Im also someone that despises heat, but honestly when you are exposed to the elements even if not homeless 75 at night sounds a lot better than shivering in 50 and in SoCal or Norcal without eastern humidity make that 39 or 45. Id rather be in LA or Miami exposed to the elements in that case.

Anyway, good luck to you. I hope you can get a place, where theres a will theres a way, sometimes we have to go to places without the best climates to make it to provide a roof, but it is doable.
You seem nice, but kinda naive.. Ive been on the streets MANY many years! Ive learned a LOT of hidden things many homeless dont know(or regular non-homeless folks either).. Ill answer your questions point by point(since all I have IS time)..
1st..food stamps.. NEVER in my posts did I EVER say I would sell them!! I would certainly never do that, I like to eat too much!! I DO stretch them out however, and whatever doesnt get spent rolls over into next month.. In actuality, I only get 189 per month, and maybe use less then half of that!! So yes, I let it build up.. And its there until its gets spent..
2nd.. wifi.. I literally get wifi ANYWHERE I go that I can find an open connection, and there are PLENTY of those.. For example, a LOT of times I sit in hotel lobbies, which are open 24 hours a day(in presently in the downtown hyatt presently).. And they usually have great connections.. Since I pride myself on not LOOKING like a bum, I can usually "blend in" with the tourists and such.. Having electronics helps a LOT! You'd be surprised!
And for your info, the BK here on st charles opens at 530 am!! By the way, I did LA back in the 80s, it was a COMPLETE cesspool! I literally STARVED for 2 weeks, because the lines for the meals would SO long they would go for 3 blocks, and by the time I got close to the front they were all OUT of food!! Certain cities I would NEVER go back to, LA, NY(what a hellhole), chicago(might as well be back in buffalo), and new orleans...
Other then that, I can only take certain climates! Can take cold, but NOT snow... And can't take heat at all anymore.. SF being maybe the only city in the nation with the perfect climate for someone like me.. Since I LOVE rain and fog, and chilly temps..
By the way ALL the years Ive been homeless Ive never been without a good sleeping bag and waterproof bivy, so I wont "shiver" in 50, thats the ideal temp for me, since Im always prepared!! Unlike other homeless who dont think ahead! And believe it, Im NOT a troll, or making any of this up! No matter what others on this board think.. I am giving the homeless a voice, or at least trying to.. No wonder all these so-called "normal" people cant relate to my practical view, they've never had to survive like this!!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:44 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
You seem nice, but kinda naive.. Ive been on the streets MANY many years! Ive learned a LOT of hidden things many homeless dont know(or regular non-homeless folks either).. Ill answer your questions point by point(since all I have IS time)..
1st..food stamps.. NEVER in my posts did I EVER say I would sell them!! I would certainly never do that, I like to eat too much!! I DO stretch them out however, and whatever doesnt get spent rolls over into next month.. In actuality, I only get 189 per month, and maybe use less then half of that!! So yes, I let it build up.. And its there until its gets spent..
2nd.. wifi.. I literally get wifi ANYWHERE I go that I can find an open connection, and there are PLENTY of those.. For example, a LOT of times I sit in hotel lobbies, which are open 24 hours a day(in presently in the downtown hyatt presently).. And they usually have great connections.. Since I pride myself on not LOOKING like a bum, I can usually "blend in" with the tourists and such.. Having electronics helps a LOT! You'd be surprised!
And for your info, the BK here on st charles opens at 530 am!! By the way, I did LA back in the 80s, it was a COMPLETE cesspool! I literally STARVED for 2 weeks, because the lines for the meals would SO long they would go for 3 blocks, and by the time I got close to the front they were all OUT of food!! Certain cities I would NEVER go back to, LA, NY(what a hellhole), chicago(might as well be back in buffalo), and new orleans...
Other then that, I can only take certain climates! Can take cold, but NOT snow... And can't take heat at all anymore.. SF being maybe the only city in the nation with the perfect climate for someone like me.. Since I LOVE rain and fog, and chilly temps..
By the way ALL the years Ive been homeless Ive never been without a good sleeping bag and waterproof bivy, so I wont "shiver" in 50, thats the ideal temp for me, since Im always prepared!! Unlike other homeless who dont think ahead! And believe it, Im NOT a troll, or making any of this up! No matter what others on this board think.. I am giving the homeless a voice, or at least trying to.. No wonder all these so-called "normal" people cant relate to my practical view, they've never had to survive like this!!
I you see more like a person giving free-loaders a voice. Your posts only boast about taking, not about giving. You started this thread to ask us how you can be a drain on the economy in yet another city, San Francisco. You have no intention of giving back, your long term goal, is to take, take, take. Do you ever volunteer at a soup kitchen, or give your time to any other charitable organizations to help people? After all, you were the one who said, "all I have IS time."

Old 07-19-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I you see more like a person giving free-loaders a voice. Your posts only boast about taking, not about giving. You started this thread to ask us how you can be a drain on the economy in yet another city, San Francisco. You have no intention of giving back, your long term goal, is to take, take, take. Do you ever volunteer at a soup kitchen, or give your time to any other charitable organizations to help people? After all, you were the one who said, "all I have IS time."
Actually the only long term goal I have it to survive fairly "comfortably" until my time inevitably comes.. Thats pretty much it.. If I can do it there, all the better.. And I dont need to volunteer at those places, since I ALREADY spend so much time there anyway getting meals!! So why would I give my "extra" time? Makes no sense to me.. Besides, I find PLENTY of things to do!! Thats NOT a problem.. Hehe, I have about 100 games on my laptop, and another 30 on my new tablet.. Trust me, I keep busy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland