Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:33 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
my impression is there's more of a "go, go, go" competitive energy here under the surface that doesn't exist to the same degree in the TC.
I feel this from people too. Seems like everyone is talking about their new startup idea. People change jobs a lot here, not uncommon.

Quote:
Oh, and the beaches here are beautiful to look at, but it's almost never beach weather unless you go to Santa Cruz (which is 1 - 1.5 hours from SF and the East Bay)... And even in Santa Cruz, you won't want to get in the cold water.
This.

Urban, what is your career field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:52 PM

67 posts, read 107,084 times
Quote:
I haven't lived in the TC, but this is my impression, too. Bay Area people are pleasant enough, but my impression is there's more of a "go, go, go" competitive energy here under the surface that doesn't exist to the same degree in the TC.

Oh, and the beaches here are beautiful to look at, but it's almost never beach weather unless you go to Santa Cruz (which is 1 - 1.5 hours from SF and the East Bay). Typical daytime highs at the beaches top out in the high 60s, and there are many days even in summer/fall where they top out in the low/mid 60s. And even in Santa Cruz, you won't want to get in the cold water. It is a bit warmer in Santa Cruz, though. Daytime highs regularly hit the 70s 6 months out of the year, and it's sunnier and less foggy than the other beach areas.
That's good information about the weather. The winters here are brutal though. I don't mind the snow but the wind chill gets 30 below zero. Considering the fact that I don't have family here, moving to San Fran sounds so much better. From my one visit there, I did find the downtown very pretty.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_245 View Post
That's good information about the weather. The winters here are brutal though. I don't mind the snow but the wind chill gets 30 below zero. Considering the fact that I don't have family here, moving to San Fran sounds so much better. From my one visit there, I did find the downtown very pretty.
becareful in moving here to the Bay Area. although i will admit the Bay Area has one of the best climates on earth (I freakn love that I can take a jog in the morning with only shorts and a white T-Shirt), the cost of living here is insane and the people here are very aggressive in ways that didn't even exist before the 2000s. Hell, I am even considering leaving the Bay Area to where you are at for the cons that I mentioned for the Bay Area.

If you really want to move here, I recommend checking parts of the East Bay. Oakland has improved a lot in some areas and Berkeley isn't too shabby either.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:52 AM

148 posts, read 149,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_245 View Post
The winters here are brutal though. I don't mind the snow but the wind chill gets 30 below zero.
I getcha. Minnesota is a beautiful state and Minneapolis/St. Paul is probably in my top 3 areas to live in the entire country, but at the same time it gets pretty difficult when you go outside and immediately freeze like that one scene in The Day After Tomorrow.

Everybody else is pretty much right on the money about the cost of living over here though, and it's not just rent. Any kind of public or private transportation is going to be slightly-to-substantially more expensive than in Minneapolis...with cars, gas is higher and there's a fee for crossing bridges, BART and MUNI are more expensive than MSP's Metro Transit, and while biking isn't more expensive, the bay area's bike trails are not remotely as connected as Minneapolis's. Food and other things are going to be a bit more costly as well. As for rent/housing itself, Bonez has pretty much the right idea...SF itself is beautiful, but so are places like Berkeley/the hills of El Cerrito/Point Richmond/certain parts of Oakland, and unlike SF those places don't involve a landlord stealing your soul and your firstborn child as a security deposit.

Also, both MSP people and SF people are great, just in different ways. They're both nice, but MSP is more of an insular environment that is stereotypical of the Upper Midwest, so as an "outsider" you have to search a little bit to find friends.* That's opposed to SF people who are more outgoing with their friendliness.

...unless you say the words "San Fran" around them, in which case they instinctively try to punch you in the throat. Trust me, I ain't making that mistake again.

*I mean, it's not impossible though. Especially if you hang out in the Warehouse District or the University area long enough.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:16 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,740 times
^I actually now like better the East Bay than the Peninsula, SF, and Marin County areas. The East Bay has people who are more social and aren't socially ackward techies/liberals. That crowd doesn't attract me at all even though I myself am an introverted type of person. And don't even mention SJ or SV. Those two places are the most boring and sterile areas of the Bay Area.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:41 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,125 times
Quote:
I haven't lived in the TC, but this is my impression, too. Bay Area people are pleasant enough, but my impression is there's more of a "go, go, go" competitive energy here under the surface that doesn't exist to the same degree in the TC.

Oh, and the beaches here are beautiful to look at, but it's almost never beach weather unless you go to Santa Cruz (which is 1 - 1.5 hours from SF and the East Bay). Typical daytime highs at the beaches top out in the high 60s, and there are many days even in summer/fall where they top out in the low/mid 60s. And even in Santa Cruz, you won't want to get in the cold water. It is a bit warmer in Santa Cruz, though. Daytime highs regularly hit the 70s 6 months out of the year, and it's sunnier and less foggy than the other beach areas.
Pretty much. Our beaches are useless even in the summer 97% of the time.

OP, I have a horrible time making friends in the Bay Area. I never had that problem before anywhere else. So just keep that in mind. People in the Bay Area are a lot more reserved than outsiders (and even some locals) make it out to be.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:55 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Pretty much. Our beaches are useless even in the summer 97% of the time.

OP, I have a horrible time making friends in the Bay Area. I never had that problem before anywhere else. So just keep that in mind. People in the Bay Area are a lot more reserved than outsiders (and even some locals) make it out to be.
Not my experience.

Various beaches are frequented by plenty of surfers and hikers and those just looking to relax.

Friendly strangers strike up conversations with me daily over one thing or another as I walk about the parks and waterfront - more often than anything my dog. Dog lovers community for sure.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:49 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not my experience.

Various beaches are frequented by plenty of surfers and hikers and those just looking to relax.

Friendly strangers strike up conversations with me daily over one thing or another as I walk about the parks and waterfront - more often than anything my dog. Dog lovers community for sure.
Compare this to socal and come back at me. Just because there are people who enjoy being cold as hell on the beach, does not mean we have beach weather.

Dog lovers community... Wonder why it's so hard to rent with a dog

Old 01-13-2015, 07:10 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Compare this to socal and come back at me. Just because there are people who enjoy being cold as hell on the beach, does not mean we have beach weather.

Dog lovers community... Wonder why it's so hard to rent with a dog
No need to compare with any other place. The considerable number of people on the beaches tells the story. I doubt many if any "enjoy being cold as hell on the beach". Which is why they enjoy the beaches in appropriate clothing at appropriate times. I was on a beach today in jeans, open sandals, t-shirt with light pullover and a ball cap. It's mid January in the Bay and it was about 65* with a light breeze. Beach weather for me and the dog.

Why it's "hard to rent with a dog"? Has nothing to do with SF being a dog friendly community. Has to do with the business of landlording. Two entirely separate functions.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No need to compare with any other place. The considerable number of people on the beaches tells the story. I doubt many if any "enjoy being cold as hell on the beach". Which is why they enjoy the beaches in appropriate clothing at appropriate times. I was on a beach today in jeans, open sandals, t-shirt with light pullover and a ball cap. It's mid January in the Bay and it was about 65* with a light breeze. Beach weather for me and the dog.

Why it's "hard to rent with a dog"? Has nothing to do with SF being a dog friendly community. Has to do with the business of landlording. Two entirely separate functions.
Shhhhhhhhh ....

In any case, yes, that is the secret, during winter the beach is the warmest place (especially when compared with bone chilling Tule Fog way inland and damp cold Bayside).

Also, the upwelling is much less so water temps can get amazingly high, especially in Jan and Feb. Seen at least low to mid sixties many years, on par with or even better than Malibu this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland