Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times

Advertisements

I think that unless you are getting specific experience that will enable you to grow that you cannot get outside the Bay Area, and you get a cost of living salary match, I wouldn't move. I do think that these calculators understate the difference in housing costs. I think if you make 150k in Texas, that's like 300k in the Bay Area, I think 250k is probably too low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:33 PM

149 posts, read 181,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
I think that unless you are getting specific experience that will enable you to grow that you cannot get outside the Bay Area, and you get a cost of living salary match, I wouldn't move. I do think that these calculators understate the difference in housing costs. I think if you make 150k in Texas, that's like 300k in the Bay Area, I think 250k is probably too low.
I'm not sure about online "cost of living calculators", but average house listing price in places like Houston or Austin is over 3 times lower than in SF or Mountain View, CA--extra 50K per year would not remotely compensate for this factor alone (especially considering they'll be taxed). Average listing price in MV is over 1.2M, 2.4M in Palo Alto and barely over 300K in big TX cities. After taxes, 50K add-on to salary would barely pay for a half of semi-decent property loan principal over the course of 20 years here. Also, in TX, an average "house" would be a property with real backyard--in a SF it'd be some kind of townhouse; if someone likes to have some space and actually be on a property, have land and privacy, it'd take more than 300K to compensate with. Considering property values, they literally would need to pay 3X of TX pay. As to the climate being a big benefit...not sure, I really learned to appreciate 4 seasons, climate in the Bay feels flat, the same thing every day really gets to you over time.

Last edited by opossum_; 07-06-2015 at 10:50 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 10:58 PM

113 posts, read 133,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum_ View Post
Sounds like a great place for a 3 year old!
3 year olds don't judge or hate. This is all learned from "intelligent" adults. I think your quote displays this form of "intelligence" perfectly.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:10 PM

149 posts, read 181,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
3 year olds don't judge or hate. This is all learned from "intelligent" adults. I think your quote displays this form of "intelligence" perfectly.
Yes, they'll learn some hate once they get spit on or assaulted by those adults you adore. Or, may be once they get stabbed with a needle or shot? Ah, 2-braincell pseudo-intellectuals who learned to type the word "intelligence"...Your quote exactly describes why the city should be stayed away from now. No decent parent would want to bring a small kid into environment you described--they'd turn into a product of it....like some...(post above). Kool aid about "judging" or "hate" doesn't work here, pal, I'm not gonna worship street junkies and trash like you tell others to, neither going to pay their drug bills off my taxes. It's you who's been showing hate and judging, considering what you said about TX culture. And if any politics is "obnoxious" is the greediest SF hypocrite libs. Hahaha, someone is saying hateful things about "cowboys" 1st and then describing some naked junkies as a good company, this just can't be for real. No, seriously, hypodermic needles off the sidewalk is the best toy for a 3.y.o and it's free!

Last edited by opossum_; 07-06-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 11:42 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennar View Post
I've been offered a position in SFO which pays close to 200k.I currently make around 150k in Texas. I have a very young family with a 3 year old and own a small house. The lure of the good weather and career prospects draw me to california but not being able to be close to the extended family and the high house prices draw me back. I've been unable to make a decision and any input would be appreciated.
I think money-wise you will be able to afford to live in one of the cheaper cities in bay area. In terms of lifestyle adjustment it might feel like moving from a developed to developing country. The CA houses you can afford with a 200k income would be pretty bleak and most middle class in TX can't even imagine living like that!

Old 07-06-2015, 11:58 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I think money-wise you will be able to afford to live in one of the cheaper cities in bay area. In terms of lifestyle adjustment it might feel like moving from a developed to developing country. The CA houses you can afford with a 200k income would be pretty bleak and most middle class in TX can't even imagine living like that!
So true.

Most people here can't afford to purchase in the very nice neighborhoods.

Even with an above average salary you will be reduced to neighborhoods that would be considered ghetto looking by any Texas standards. The houses in that price range will also leave you stunned.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:25 AM

40 posts, read 40,039 times
Greetings,

I moved from Houston to Lafayette, CA around 2 months ago. I was offered a career advancing position in Oakland, a bump in pay and went for it. I have two small children, (5yr and 18m) plus my wife. I had a nice house, tons of family back in Houston but decided change is good. Its true the Bay Area is expensive but livable. People on this board always gripe about it but its all about perspective and how well you manage your finances. The amount of outdoor activities for adults and kids is wonderful. The weather is unlike anything I've ever experienced. We love it. We have a 5 year plan, after 5 years we may stay or move back to another more affordable city. I'm the type of person that would rather try and fail than never tried at all. I say go for it. Experience what its like to live here and after a year or two, it doesn't work, then move back.

Last edited by MajorDMP; 07-07-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
When you say "moving," are you talking about visiting for a month or so? There has been some recent confusion with that term.

In seriousness, if it isn't a dream job opportunity, or a chance to completely change your life, it doesn't sound like enough of an increase to be worth it at this point.

I came from Texas specifically to live here, rather than for a job opportunity, counting on the market to offer career advancement that wasn't available in Texas. I took a pay cut to move, but within a year had made that back and much more, due to increased opportunities available. But my focus wasn't on a specific offer, rather, it was on relocating to SF regardless of the sacrifices needed. That's the luxury of not having kids, though.

My plan worked, but many don't. It sounds like you need a bigger opportunity that aligns with some of your individual needs a bit more closely. The Bay Area has a powerful draw, but it shouldn't supersede family concerns. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:45 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Silicon Valley is pretty expensive, but not as expensive as SF. Certainly Fremont would be more affordable than most of Silicon Valley, but I have to ask, if your job in in SF, why do you want to be close to Silicon Valley, do you think it is likely you'll be changing jobs in the future. If you work in tech that is one big advantage of Silicon Valley, being able to move to a new job relatively easily.

On the other hand, you can live in areas that are more affordable than Fremont, and possibly about as long a commute to SF.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:41 PM

457 posts, read 756,906 times
I would do this move in a heartbeat. I live in Fremont. It is an excellent family friendly place to live and you can get decent single family homes in the 750-800K range in decent school districts. Fremont also has the best Indian food scene, IMO, in the Bay Area. Check out Shalimar.

I make a little bit more than your offer and my wife is stay at home as well. However, with that income life is extremely comfortable and I save around $3K a month after mortgage and paying for a Telsa. Remember that going from 150K to 200K in Texas would take you a long time, while in the valley your income can rise exponentially if you are in the right technology area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland