Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Your plan isn't realistic. The best way to get a job in tech, especially the way it works now is:
1. be a superstar
2. have friends that will help you get your foot in the door

It looks like none of these are the case for you. Your housing budget is also unrealistic.

If you really want to get a job here forget about craigslist and start making some connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 01:57 PM

337 posts, read 405,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Here is an affordable home within "commute distance" to the Bay Area for OP...in Los Banos.

489 Winemaker Street, Los Banos, CA For Sale | Trulia.com
Oh yeah totally forgot about south of San Jose options. People are now moving to Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Santa Cruz, Las Banos etc. to save money and commuting from there.

I actually like places south of SJ; they are very picturesque and have easier access to places like Monterey on the Coast.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Your plan isn't realistic. The best way to get a job in tech, especially the way it works now is:
1. be a superstar
2. have friends that will help you get your foot in the door

It looks like none of these are the case for you. Your housing budget is also unrealistic.

If you really want to get a job here forget about craigslist and start making some connections.
Wrong all on fronts. He is not trying to get a job at Google and doesn't have to live in SF or the fancier Bay Area suburbs.

He is willing to put up with long commutes and live in a small home as well.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:03 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Oh yeah totally forgot about south of San Jose options. People are now moving to Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Santa Cruz, Las Banos etc. to save money and commuting from there.

I actually like places south of SJ; they are very picturesque and have easier access to places like Monterey on the Coast.

Well, and with Gilroy there, OP can get his/her garlic on as recompense for the multi-hour long commute.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:06 PM

I would rather do a long commute in California than just about anywhere else. Yes, traffic is bad but at least its pleasant, sunny and not humid outside and the scenery along the way is gorgeous.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Wrong all on fronts. He is not trying to get a job at Google and doesn't have to live in SF or the fancier Bay Area suburbs.

He is willing to put up with long commutes and live in a small home as well.
You need friends / superstar status for even small tech companies. Tech is cliquey. You need to be in the clique.

It is almost easier to get a job at a big company, at least they cast wide nets. Smaller companies fill the job before it is posted via the employee's personal networks. That's why tech is not diverse.

It is not practical to spend 4 hours a day commuting. It is also not sustainable. There is no place that meets his criteria, and he has the wrong skill set and wrong connections.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:39 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,376 times
Crouching - what the OP is missing is that nobody is telling him he can't get a job. What he is missing is that he is making all kinds of assumptions that arent true a) getting a career progression path that will lead to high paying jobs, and b) buying a place in the Bay Area that will be workable re: commuting to jobs. Nobody....Nobody....wants to spend 90 or 120 minutes each way commuting.

In the end, time is the most important thing in life. Why waste a substantial amount of life commuting? Pretty roadside views are not worth it to almost anyone, I think you're an outlier. If one is older, and past young fun and child rearing years, sure, who cares, spend another 20 minutes in the car enjoying the view before you get home. In the end, people really want quality of life recommendations.

People who yearn to escape their current lives are usually, in my experience, blinded by that pure need to escape. The wrong decision just makes getting over unfinished personal business take longer.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You need friends / superstar status for even small tech companies. Tech is cliquey. You need to be in the clique.

It is almost easier to get a job at a big company, at least they cast wide nets. Smaller companies fill the job before it is posted via the employee's personal networks. That's why tech is not diverse.

It is not practical to spend 4 hours a day commuting. It is also not sustainable. There is no place that meets his criteria, and he has the wrong skill set and wrong connections.
I would argue tech is diverse, lots of Asians, Indians and Foreigners are working in it. Just because there are few blacks and hispanics doesn't mean its not diverse. Also he can try getting a job with a bigger company to start out with. Finally 4 hours a day commute is an exaggeration. A commute from say Gilroy to San Jose (31) miles takes only 37 minutes without traffic and maybe 1 hour with traffic.

As long as he is ok with living in one of the exurbs, he should be fine. He is moving from expensive NYC metro area, not Biloxi, MS.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:52 PM

26 posts, read 25,990 times
I also want to add that I am flexible as to where I end up working. I don't have to work in the Bay area, but be living close to it to be able to commute there within reasonable time frame. I wouldn't mind working in a place like Fremont, for example.

Edit: I see it's part of the bay area, but you get the point. The idea is to be within reasonable distance to San Francisco on a pay similar to what I currently make. Similar to how my current distance to NYC takes an hour or so.

Last edited by snaaaaake; 07-16-2015 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Corrected errors

Old 07-16-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaaaaake View Post
I also want to add that I am flexible as to where I end up working. I don't have to work in the Bay area, but be living close to it to be able to commute there within reasonable time frame. I wouldn't mind working in a place like Fremont, for example.

Edit: I see it's part of the bay area, but you get the point. The idea is to be within reasonable distance to San Francisco on a pay similar to what I currently make. Similar to how my current distance to NYC takes an hour or so.
Yeah if you get a job in Fremont, you could for example live in Tracy or Gilroy for your budget and have an 2 hr/day commute. People are doing such commutes right now.

Just don't have unrealistic expectations of maybe (ever) living in tonier neighborhoods like Palo Alto, Orinda, Danville etc.

What's the worst that could happen? You fail and end up back in NYC. Big Deal. Its not like he is moving to Syria or something.

Never give up on your dreams however ridiculous they may be - give it a shot especially when you are young. I wonder how many people discouraged people like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise etc. to pursue their dreams in Hollywood and settle for a middle class life in the midwest. Yeah the odds are slim but you never know until you try. Life is all about taking some chances, especially in places of big dreams like California and NYC. That's what these two places are all about and that's why they say NYC is the concrete jungle where dreams are made of.

As long as you have a backup plan I see no harm. He is trying for a friggin tech job folks, not moving to LA to be the next Steven Spielberg.

Last edited by crouching_tiger; 07-16-2015 at 03:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland