Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:33 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
No, black people can not be racist. There is a difference between prejudice, discrimination, and racism.

Racism entails power (both institutional and structural) that has the capacity to oppress and suppress (economically, politically, socially), as well as deny rights, opportunities, and humanity to the advantage of one group and to the disadvantage of another group. Blacks do not have the capacity to do this.
No, that can be a result from racism, anyone can be a racist in any society...

Racism: The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races. -Google

Racism: A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race -Merriam Webster

Racism: Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races. -Dictionary

Racist: A person who believes that a particular race is superior to another. -Google

Old 10-13-2015, 06:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
No, black people can not be racist. There is a difference between prejudice, discrimination, and racism.
LOL. Someone has been in SF too long, or has been taking too many liberal arts classes at the local community college.
Quote:
Racism entails power (both institutional and structural) that has the capacity to oppress and suppress (economically, politically, socially), as well as deny rights, opportunities, and humanity to the advantage of one group and to the disadvantage of another group. Blacks do not have the capacity to do this.
OK, this confirms it. Someone has definitely been spending too much time within SF city limits, or has taken one too many Sociology classes at the local junior college.

Anyone can be racist. End of story.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:01 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
LOL. Someone has been in SF too long, or has been taking too many liberal arts classes at the local community college.

OK, this confirms it. Someone has definitely been spending too much time within SF city limits, or has taken one too many Sociology classes at the local junior college.

I wouldn't even say stuck in San Francisco. I'm thinking more Lake County maybe? Where do you have to live where you've never seen a black person in a position of power. Heck I work in Marin in a very conservative industry and have had more than one black manager over the years. What an insult to black executives and business owners.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:55 AM

117 posts, read 257,690 times
I have plans of moving to this area one day (If i'm lucky enough). I'm from the south and have lived in several cities in the south. I have also visited the bay area on several occasion and call tell you for a fact that the area is DEFINITELY more progressive in terms of racial relations and several other factors.

Will my opinion change once I live there? maybe, but probably not. I'm black and will in that "white" industry and likely (if i'm lucky) have a "white" job. I'll probably also end up living in a "white" part of town. My theory is that if you're looking for racism, you'll almost always find it. So I tend not to focus on it. Fact of the matter is, if I made it in racist parts of southern Louisiana and i'm making it in racist Texas, i'm sure I can be just fine California.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:58 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
The bay area isn't "racism-free" by any means, but it's probably the least racist place on Earth. Even Sweden, which is famous for welcoming refugees from around the world, has a neo-nazi party as their third-largest political organization...

This conversation should be had in the context of "relative to the rest of the world."
A bold statement.

Quote:
All Newlyweds (Rate of Interracial Marriages):

South: 39%
Midwest: 22%
West: 24%
Northeast: 15%
Being able to "live" within the same neighborhood with minorities or other races and mix and mingle with them are two different things.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:32 AM

758 posts, read 551,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I wouldn't even say stuck in San Francisco. I'm thinking more Lake County maybe? Where do you have to live where you've never seen a black person in a position of power. Heck I work in Marin in a very conservative industry and have had more than one black manager over the years. What an insult to black executives and business owners.
1)It is saddening to read comments such as the above. I believe the person is well-meaning. But by the logic in the quote above, we have a black president, so its an insult to suggest racism and discrimination still exist in the United States. Now that we have a black president, any discussion of discrimination is just people trying to say this place isn't all that. Talk about SMH.

2)The issue for me is not whether there are black, white, brown, yellow, red, or whatever color faces on the other side of the desk. The question is whether the decisions emanating from the other side of the desk are supportive of or harmful to my interests. I believe most blacks would rather have Ruth Bader Ginsburg making decisions than Clarence Thomas. The race of the decision-maker isn't the issue, the discriminatory or non-discriminatory impact of the decisions is the issue. And, frankly, it is tough to look at the impoverished areas of the bay, see the racial segregation in those areas, and claim "Hallelujah! I've reached the racial justice paradise!"

Old 10-13-2015, 11:32 AM

540 posts, read 653,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Exactly, my prior statement holds true...

Blacks can't be racist in your eyes
You just make up all sorts of garbage and try to will it true. Point out where I said anything in response to your ridiculous assumption. I know your agenda here, the funny part is you keep claiming you're not a right winger. I see you on the Politics forum acting like the rest of those nationalists. When White Americans make up 13% of the population and get the historical treatment we have then we can discuss your silly claim of black americans being racist. Before you roll your eyes with the sarcastic slavery was 400 years ago and you didn't own slaves. The Civil Rights movement was AFTER the holocaust but it's only us that need to get over everything right? It's ok for the Jews to never forget their atrocity huh?

Old 10-13-2015, 12:31 PM

117 posts, read 257,690 times
Quote:
No, black people can not be racist.
That depends on where you get your definition of racism from. And it seems that there is a HUGE split on what racism ACTUALLY means.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:09 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
No, that can be a result from racism, anyone can be a racist in any society...

Racism: The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races. -Google

Racism: A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race -Merriam Webster

Racism: Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races. -Dictionary

Racist: A person who believes that a particular race is superior to another. -Google
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Racism is a social phenomenon. It has a historical and social context. A black person in a position of power still operates within the parameter of white dominated and controlled institutions and structures. Blacks, as a social group, are not the beneficiaries of racism (or a racist system). A black manager that denies a white person a job, or a black candidate chosen over a white candidate does not perpetuate a system of racism - that already exists - and does not have an adverse impact on whites as a social group, will not disenfranchise them, marginalize them, or define the terms of their existence.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 10-13-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 01:18 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Racism is a social phenomenon. It has a historical and social context. A black person in a position of power still operates within the parameter of white dominated and controlled institutions and structures. Blacks, as a social group, are not the beneficiaries of racism (or a racist system). A black manager that denies a white person a job does not perpetuate a system of racism and does not have an adverse impact on whites as a social group.
If you hate someone because of their skin color, you are a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland