Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Well according to all the transplants from fly over country and randos from the 925, racism does not exist and white people are the only victims of racism. I'm so confused
of course racism still exists but it is equal on both sides or maybe more so blacks against whites. It will always to some degree. Everyone has a prejudice against something. Believe me, I am white and I faced it when I was still employed. I am also white!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 06:22 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course racism still exists but it is equal on both sides or maybe more so blacks against whites. It will always to some degree. Everyone has a prejudice against something. Believe me, I am white and I faced it when I was still employed. I am also white!!!
I get what you mean. Remember when whites used to run most of the companies in this country? Or when they were the majority in colleges. Maybe whites should rise up against the black minority that is holding them down.

/s

Old 01-25-2016, 10:07 AM

540 posts, read 653,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Race surely does come into play.

Asians and whites have it the hardest.

Blacks have it the easiest.

Nice Try with that BS you just posted, that's from the American Enterprise Institute a right wing think tank site obviously playing off the fears of whites. Please stop posting BS Trash to fit with your Woe is me whites have it so hard agenda.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 AM

The common theme here is Whites just hate talking about racism. They refuse to believe it exists and they must throw in but but but we've faced it too. You just can't sit back and listen, you have to inject some story about how you've had it bad too. Another thing why is slavery your buzz word? My parents couldn't even legally drink out of certain water fountains 50 years ago. Funny how you like to skip over that entire era and go back 400 years to talk about slavery. You don't have to go back that far to see the atrocities committed. Then again none of you say a word when Jews celebrate the Holocaust and want to remind people never to forget. That's fine, but god forbid Blacks or other non whites want to do the same thing. The faux reverse racism chants start.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:59 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Well according to all the transplants from fly over country and randos from the 925, racism does not exist and white people are the only victims of racism. I'm so confused
What?...

Old 01-25-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
The common theme here is Whites just hate talking about racism. They refuse to believe it exists and they must throw in but but but we've faced it too. You just can't sit back and listen, you have to inject some story about how you've had it bad too. Another thing why is slavery your buzz word? My parents couldn't even legally drink out of certain water fountains 50 years ago. Funny how you like to skip over that entire era and go back 400 years to talk about slavery. You don't have to go back that far to see the atrocities committed. Then again none of you say a word when Jews celebrate the Holocaust and want to remind people never to forget. That's fine, but god forbid Blacks or other non whites want to do the same thing. The faux reverse racism chants start.
Well there's the debate about whether all whites or just some whites should feel responsible for slavery and segregation. If you want to forget about slavery and just talk about segregation, it becomes harder to blame all whites for it. I don't think there were segregated water fountains outside the South. You can't say that all whites supported or benefited from segregation. Heck, some whites marched with Martin Luther King Jr or went on the freedom rides. Now Racism, sure, absolutely there is Racism in this country, and I am sure you have experienced that. If we want to be honest about it, Racism exists all over this country, not just for African Americans but Latinos and Asians too.

When people bring up the idea that some whites had it tough, I bring up the fact that not all African Americans were poor and not all whites were middle class. In fact, groups like the KKK took advantage of that fact to create resentment. If we go back to the privilege argument, who has more privilege, an African American at a place like Harvard, or a poor white student at a state school? A poor white student hasn't experienced Racism, but they know what it's like to struggle and try to survive.

It's just my impression, but groups like BLM aren't that interested in hearing whites talk about Racism. Maybe that's because people go into a tangent and try to compare one wrong with another. Some whites aren't comfortable talking about Racism because they aren't convinced that they or their ancestors took part or benefited from it. Then you get into the whole discussion about recruitment at US companies and does it reflect the local diversity. How much do whites benefit when they are hired over a minority candidate?

Old 01-25-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Well there's the debate about whether all whites or just some whites should feel responsible for slavery and segregation. If you want to forget about slavery and just talk about segregation, it becomes harder to blame all whites for it. I don't think there were segregated water fountains outside the South. You can't say that all whites supported or benefited from segregation. Heck, some whites marched with Martin Luther King Jr or went on the freedom rides. Now Racism, sure, absolutely there is Racism in this country, and I am sure you have experienced that. If we want to be honest about it, Racism exists all over this country, not just for African Americans but Latinos and Asians too.

When people bring up the idea that some whites had it tough, I bring up the fact that not all African Americans were poor and not all whites were middle class. In fact, groups like the KKK took advantage of that fact to create resentment. If we go back to the privilege argument, who has more privilege, an African American at a place like Harvard, or a poor white student at a state school? A poor white student hasn't experienced Racism, but they know what it's like to struggle and try to survive.

It's just my impression, but groups like BLM aren't that interested in hearing whites talk about Racism. Maybe that's because people go into a tangent and try to compare one wrong with another. Some whites aren't comfortable talking about Racism because they aren't convinced that they or their ancestors took part or benefited from it. Then you get into the whole discussion about recruitment at US companies and does it reflect the local diversity. How much do whites benefit when they are hired over a minority candidate?

The arrogance of thinking it's "All Whites" what makes you think anybody is talking about "All Whites". It's the System, the government which was legally allowed to oppress and yes Latinos and Asians obviously face racism too, and many Latinos have latched onto the BLM movement in support with the Brown Lives Movement as well.

The Classism example about the poor white vs. the Harvard student is not what this is about. It's about perception and treatment. Ex Mayor Willie Brown was harassed by an SFPD officer who didn't recognize him. It's deeper than just class, a white guy can walk down the street in the same town with a gun permit and get no harassment. A black person does it, cops pull up guns drawn.

How many blacks have been passed over just because of their name. Whites are not passed over for less qualified Minorities. They are given an equal chance to compete for the same positions that normally wouldn't even look at a minority candidate. The myth that unqualified minorities take more qualified white jobs is based in racism. That's not how it works, White women are benefited by affirmative action more than anybody else. These are facts, yet nobody is crying about these women "taking jobs".

Old 01-25-2016, 02:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Should've just tossed them over the rail.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
The arrogance of thinking it's "All Whites" what makes you think anybody is talking about "All Whites". It's the System, the government which was legally allowed to oppress and yes Latinos and Asians obviously face racism too, and many Latinos have latched onto the BLM movement in support with the Brown Lives Movement as well.

The Classism example about the poor white vs. the Harvard student is not what this is about. It's about perception and treatment. Ex Mayor Willie Brown was harassed by an SFPD officer who didn't recognize him. It's deeper than just class, a white guy can walk down the street in the same town with a gun permit and get no harassment. A black person does it, cops pull up guns drawn.

How many blacks have been passed over just because of their name. Whites are not passed over for less qualified Minorities. They are given an equal chance to compete for the same positions that normally wouldn't even look at a minority candidate. The myth that unqualified minorities take more qualified white jobs is based in racism. That's not how it works, White women are benefited by affirmative action more than anybody else. These are facts, yet nobody is crying about these women "taking jobs".
You said "whites hate talking about racism" and when someone does, you don't seem to like the response.

If you think poor whites are always treated well by the police and by people in power, then I would say you are naive. And I think it certainly is relevant to analyze privilege.

It's certainly wrong for police to treat blacks differently than other people. But I know Mayor Brown's reputation. I have to wonder if he was "harassed" because he was black or because he was rude to the officer. I know from my own experience that police don't like it if you disagree with them. Guess what! I've been threatened with arrest by a police officer because I was questioning a speeding ticket. But how could that be possible if I'm white? I must not remember that situation correctly.

We can argue all day about whether affirmative action reduces the number of jobs for whites. I think it's a good idea in general. But I know that a lot of whites resent it. Would you agree that jobs should go to the most qualified person regardless of what race they are?

Old 01-25-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
You said "whites hate talking about racism" and when someone does, you don't seem to like the response.

If you think poor whites are always treated well by the police and by people in power, then I would say you are naive. And I think it certainly is relevant to analyze privilege.

It's certainly wrong for police to treat blacks differently than other people. But I know Mayor Brown's reputation. I have to wonder if he was "harassed" because he was black or because he was rude to the officer. I know from my own experience that police don't like it if you disagree with them. Guess what! I've been threatened with arrest by a police officer because I was questioning a speeding ticket. But how could that be possible if I'm white? I must not remember that situation correctly.

We can argue all day about whether affirmative action reduces the number of jobs for whites. I think it's a good idea in general. But I know that a lot of whites resent it. Would you agree that jobs should go to the most qualified person regardless of what race they are?
There's a difference between talking about and being defensive about it. The only "talk" that's being done is to try to discredit the Black Experience by showing some sort of reason why Whites may be treated bad. Now you're blaming the victim. Willie Brown was stopped for no reason. It had nothing to do with his "attitude". Any black person can tell you the "What are you doing in this car" story. It's not about disagreeing with anybody, before a situation even gets to that point it's harassment. As soon as you're stopped it's, you from around here, what do you do for a living, why are you in this neighborhood etc etc etc. So no you don't get it.

Of course jobs should go to the most qualified person, unfortunately in this racist country it has never worked that way for people who aren't white males. It's like saying people shouldn't go hungry you agree? Well yeah of course they shouldn't but it happens every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland