Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 03:47 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Heck yeah, fewer threads here because the East Bay is the last bastion of slightly-affordable-to the-already semi-wealthy value!! And probably because SV types are overly research oriented and don't need to go to city-data to get opinions (although some do)

And if I were King, I'd have real rail or significant bus transport from the East Bay to SV, and a few billion for expanded BART. And your house would be a lot more valuable. And I'd move in next door.

Look, I don't think my experience is invalid, and I think yours is valid, too. Degrees are debateable, no point in going deeper. ("I have 8 friends." "Well, I have 14 friends.....") I think I know enough to offer comments, and I certainly would defer to a local on issues of local culture.

Commuting is quantifiable, so that's a lot easier for an "outsider", as are home prices - they can be looked up. If I said something like, "there are not that many inlaws" - well, that can be verified. If I said, you won't easily find an inlaw w/3/2 house in X town for 700k after bidding and there were 2 or 3 or zero on the MLS, then I think that's an OK statement to make. Doesn't matter if I'm a local or not. (Just making that up, I didn't go find the thread)

We're going to disagree on some things, but maybe only on the margins. This is like one of those arguments between hardcore Sanders and Clinton fans. Good times.
You would think so, but alas your inexperience got the better of you.

No no, that's okay. Last thing I would want is for the East Bay to be as overpriced as the Peninsula and SV, it's overpriced as it is already. And the people...no thanks either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 03:50 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
people know what their finances are like and what they can afford for housing and how to look up the cost of housing, so if they're not asking then they likely don't need your advice on it.
l
You would think so, but that has not been my experience in this forum. For example, the recent thread where a woman wanted to move to the bay on 3k per month of income and 5 cats and MUST have her own place. Or the woman who wanted to move to san jose with her husband who is an asst retail manager, while she makes 2k a month through a pyramid scheme "which will soon surely be 6k per month". Or the couple who wanted to pay less than 1700 per month for an apt in mill vallley, and not have a car. Those people are dreaming... in this case, it sounds like the op may have the money to not worry. Sorry, op, didnt mean to get preachy. Ive just seen a lot of people waste time breaking down "farmers markets in marin vs berkeley" when three pages in, the op figures out they cant afford either...

Old 03-17-2016, 03:55 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Considering all the bickering you see on this forum about salary, COL, jobs, etc.. if I was the OP I'd probably avoid answering that too if they don't really need or want any advice on it. I don't know what it is that makes sticking to the OP's inquiries so hard on this forum.

What's your salary OP? What is your future career trajectory and possible future salary? Do you have kids? What if you want 1 kid and you have triplets? Do you work in tech? What if you have health problems? Does your family have health problems because what if you get cancer? Are you going to max out your 401K contributions? Without knowing any of this there is absolutely no way we can provide advice on those 4 cities you inquired about!! Tell us your deepest darkest secrets OP! We need this pertinent information to answer your questions! There is absolutely no way you can research or figure out salaries and jobs without City-Data forumers advice!
It makes sense when telling the posters that you want to live in such and such a place, but never mention where your job will be or whether it's a city that's remotely in one's price range. If someone says well I want the top schools in the safest places 10 minutes to the job in Palo Alto, and you make 30k a year, have three dogs, and don't want to have roommates, then I'm not gonna waste my time telling someone that Palo Alto fits the bill.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
It makes sense when telling the posters that you want to live in such and such a place, but never mention where your job will be or whether it's a city that's remotely in one's price range. If someone says well I want the top schools in the safest places 10 minutes to the job in Palo Alto, and you make 30k a year, have three dogs, and don't want to have roommates, then I'm not gonna waste my time telling someone that Palo Alto fits the bill.
Exactly.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Proof or citations? This isn't a dissertation here. Yet look at all the stuff you just accused me of; being retired, doesn't know what's going on, etc.. Do you realize how hypocritical that sounds.

Great then maybe give advice on Marin and SF. Since you don't seem to know what it's like living in the East Bay you may actually be costing people their lives with your Google searched expertise. Think about that! You might have blood on your hands Chuck! BLOOD! lol

Well lets see, off the top of my head your dumb incorrect comments about living and commuting from Concord to SF. Another one was the price of homes here with in-la www.google.com/
what did chuck say that was inaccurate about the commute from concord to sf? Is this from a different thread? Kind of hard to tell what you were arguing about, sav?

Old 03-17-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Personally I assume they have that part figured out and/or I don't consider it until it gets mentioned. If they wanted or needed to know they would ask imo. The OP didn't and stated that.

I get how some people ask "where should I live" and you need more info. But the OP just wanted info on these 4 communities and that is all it seemed like.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
what did chuck say that was inaccurate about the commute from concord to sf? Is this from a different thread? Kind of hard to tell what you were arguing about, sav?
That it's "well over" 60 minutes door to door and only a "lucky few" have that commute.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:29 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Personally I assume they have that part figured out and/or I don't consider it until it gets mentioned. If they wanted or needed to know they would ask imo. The OP didn't and stated that.

I get how some people ask "where should I live" and you need more info. But the OP just wanted info on these 4 communities and that is all it seemed like.
Well in any case, the OP didn't seem to have an issue telling the folks on the SoCal forums her budget and people on that forum also asked those generalities as well...

Old 03-17-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
That it's "well over" 60 minutes door to door and only a "lucky few" have that commute.
Was he talking about rush hour by car? If so, thats accurate. If hes talking midday, then, no, hes wrong its faster than that. "Lucky few" must be a joke as there is nothing "lucky" about a concord -sf rush hour commute.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
was he talking about rush hour by car? If so, thats accurate. If hes talking midday, then, no, hes wrong its faster than that. "lucky few" must be a joke as there is nothing "lucky" about a concord -sf rush hour commute.
bart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland