Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Colin Kaepernick's motivation for his protest?
He's very much concerned about the country and how racial discrimination is effecting it 41 32.80%
It is a cry for attention as he's about to become irrelevant and he knows it. 50 40.00%
He feels the team won't cut him now because they're scared of the backlash, thereby taking away attention from his poor play. 22 17.60%
Other 12 9.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:08 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

Forgive my ignorance here, but SF is widely known as an extremely liberal area. Wouldn't Kap's views be commonplace there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 08:50 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Liberals can be just as racist as Republicans (if not more), so there's that.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:52 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Would you liberal extremists be satisfied with these changes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goWXdybAtC0

or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6DC6QYwLkU

Old 09-16-2016, 06:43 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Would you liberal extremists be satisfied with these changes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goWXdybAtC0

or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6DC6QYwLkU
South Park. The great American arbiter of national morality.

Yes, bmw, Americans who demand equal treatment under the laws are "extremists". What a concept.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:53 AM

Meanwhile, beyond South Park, both professional athletes and now even high school athletes are joining the protest:
As Kaepernick

Quote:
Every player on the roster — black, white, Latino, Asian — was on one knee, an echo of the hotly debated move by 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick to protest racial inequality and police brutality. In that moment, Hill said, he saw a team that had decided to experience “this historical moment” as a unit.

The players at Mission High plan to kneel again at their game Friday night at San Mateo High, and they won’t be alone. In the weeks since Kaepernick sat, then knelt, for the national anthem, scores of professional and amateur football, soccer and volleyball players in fields and courts across the country have joined in.

Last week, more than a dozen NFL players, including the 49ers’ Kaepernick and Eric Reid, knelt or raised their fists during the anthem. High school football players in Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland and other states also knelt.
The athletes’ reasons for protesting have varied, as have the responses. While the 49ers pledged $1 million to aid causes cited by Kaepernick, Denver Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall lost two endorsement deals after he knelt during the anthem.

The silent protest by the Mission High football team wasn’t spontaneous, nor flippant. According to the players, the conversation over whether to do it began in earnest between a few players during Saturday’s bus ride to Redwood High in Larkspur.
Then, before the game, Niamey Harris, a 17-year-old senior team captain and the starting quarterback, along with a few teammates, explained to the rest of the players that they would take a knee to bring attention to racial injustice in America. They asked their teammates to join in so they could do it as a unit.
The pitch to the other players, Harris said, went like this: “This is for helping everybody else in the world to understand that black people and people of color are going though difficulties and they need help. It’s not going to take care of itself.”

Coach Hill said he was often moved to tears by the anthem during his own playing days because it represented the freedom of being an American. But he understands and respects his team’s decision. Taking a knee is a sign of respect, he explained, while also acting as a symbol of protest. He noted that after practices, his players get down on one knee to listen to his instructions.
“It’s important that the whole team did it,” he said. “We’re a diverse team — black, white, Hispanic, Asian — so the fact they all did it? I could only respect them for doing that. They’re the future leaders of this country ... so for them to lead the way, it shows change can take place, and it starts with them.”

Old 09-16-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
I can only comment to the posts that he has directed at me, and they are typically childlike barbs and Ad Hominems. Quite frankly, I'm not interested in conversing with someone that has a history of those type of responses to me. I dismissed his comment because I thoroughly answered it in my original post. There really was no need for him to even ask that because he already had the answer. We can both agree that my question was purely subjective. I simply wanted to know what people thought Kaepernick's motivation was for his protest. Nothing more, nothing less. The minute the thread started going off on a tangent and people calling each other racist, I lost interest. However I did like to come back in and at least see what the poll results were. As I commented early on, similar to Tony La Russa's comment, I don't believe CK is being sincere with his protests. And it's all about timing. Had he shown this was extremely important to him when he first entered the league, I would have more respect for his protests. The fact of the matter is, as La Russa stated, he was all about himself when he first entered the league, and he made sure he did nothing to rock the boat prior to getting his new contract and all his money from sponsors. Now at this stage of his career, losing his starting job and his skills eroding, he suddenly has this Epiphany. Sorry, I'm not buying it. It's also bothersome to me when people try and compare his actions with people like Muhammad Ali and Jackie Robinson, who in my opinion were men of courage and conviction, with much more to lose than Kaepernick. I have no problem with him exercising his first amendment rights, or anyone that does feel he is sincere with his protests. We simply have a difference of opinion.
Well, if you have a personal history of problems between you, that's one thing. To apply that feeling dismissively to everything he posts indiscriminate of the content of the posts individually runs a risk of glossing over valid observations and comments.

But, moving on, you have repeated your opinion several times that CK only began his protest as his career appeared to be tanking. Ok, a flag to consider there. On the other hand, his point (of the protest) is entirely valid, obviously. So then it is also reasonable to consider that people are constantly evolving. Maybe his introspection on his personal struggles increased his vision of his larger place in society. We are certainly seeing the protest now in athletes all across the spectrum and nation as they realize the power of their platform. And there is a lot of risk and sacrifice going with it as players lose fans and endorsements and make contributions to causes. These aren't a bunch of losers as you are accusing CK of being.

I'd also point out that your defense of Muhammad Ali and Jackie Robinson fails to recognize that those athletes also grew into their public images in stages. Ali wasn't popular in his protest of the Vietnam War at the time he went to jail. That helped build his persona of greatness over time as the value of his protest became later apparent.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:12 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh um yeah, bmw. You who have never been in the military join in this nauseously obsequious display of phony patriotism - while ignoring the great patriotic tradition of protest of injustice that launched this nation.

Bub, I served. In combat. I picked up bodies that were fallen and had young men die in my arms. And I applaud CK and the many others who are taking a knee to remind America of what we are failing in our quest for equality among all men.
Ad hominem. You seem to think those who have never served cannot be patriotic.

You applaud phony outrage by ballers who are infinitely more privileged than most.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:32 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
South Park. The great American arbiter of national morality.

Yes, bmw, Americans who demand equal treatment under the laws are "extremists". What a concept.
You aren't advocating for equal treatment, you are advocating for preferential treatment.

For example, if a Black, Asian, and White student have the same grades and there is only one admission spot left, it will be given to the Black student. Heck, now even Black students will lower grades than Asian students are being chosen simply because of their skin color. That is not called equal treatment, so tell the truth... you are demanding preferential treatment under the law.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Ad hominem. You seem to think those who have never served cannot be patriotic.

You applaud phony outrage by ballers who are infinitely more privileged than most.
Nonsense in every respect. There's nothing whatsoever ad hominem about my observation. There IS however something ad hominem and straw-man, both, in your criticism of "ballers who are infinitely more privileged than most". "Ballers'" privilege has absolutely nothing to do with the validity of the protest.

Furthermore, I haven't inferred anything about people who haven't served being incapable of patriotism. In fact, to highlight how incredibly ridiculous your accusation of that is: I have been labeling CK and his protest as highly patriotic. CK's never served in the military. Get it now, OC?

Double furthermore, the privilege of the "ballers" has not exempted them from mortal threat by police either:
Quote:
Here is just a partial list of black athletes who have been beaten, shot, harassed or wrongly accused by police in recent memory.
Colin Kaepernick's wealth and fame don't protect him from police brutality. Here's proof - LA Times

Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You aren't advocating for equal treatment, you are advocating for preferential treatment.

For example, if a Black, Asian, and White student have the same grades and there is only one admission spot left, it will be given to the Black student. Heck, now even Black students will lower grades than Asian students are being chosen simply because of their skin color. That is not called equal treatment, so tell the truth... you are demanding preferential treatment under the law.
Your post is bizarre. This isn't about Affirmative Action. It's about specious, racially profiled, police violence. That is ALL about equal treatment - and about nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland