Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Colin Kaepernick's motivation for his protest?
He's very much concerned about the country and how racial discrimination is effecting it 41 32.80%
It is a cry for attention as he's about to become irrelevant and he knows it. 50 40.00%
He feels the team won't cut him now because they're scared of the backlash, thereby taking away attention from his poor play. 22 17.60%
Other 12 9.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:06 AM

406 posts, read 288,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
So if you have group A, B, C and D. Group A commits a much higher proportion of violent crimes in most categories (homicide, assault, armed robbery, etc...) than group B, C or D. Do you don't think there is going to statistically be more violent confrontations with police officers with group A?
Looking at the total number of offenders, if Group B has a larger number of offenders than Group A, wouldn't that suggest that Group B poses the greater likelihood of offending. Likewise, since Group B commits 69% of the violent crime, then the chances of being a victim of Group B is higher than Group A because there are significantly more of Group B than Group A.

Quote:
I'm not saying there are no issues with police brutality in America. All I am saying is whenever this topic is discussed rates of violent crime should be part of the discussion. As well as a breakdown by race & ethnicity of who shoots police officers killed on duty.

Felonies by race and ethnicity in CA:
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a.../cd13/cd13.pdf

Homicide by race and ethnicity in CA:
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...hm15/hm15.pdf?

2014 FBI crime states by race and ethnicity in the U.S.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43
(this shows in 2014 blacks who are 13% if the U.S. population committed 51.3% of murder and non-negligent manslaughter, 55.9% robberies, 33.1% aggravated assaults, etc...)[/b]
Your argument is invalid: arrest rates and crime rates do not presage racial disparities in police shootings. They are independent of each other

Quote:
There is no relationship between county-level racial bias in police shootings and crime rates (even race-specific crime rates), meaning that the racial bias observed in police shootings in this data set is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates.
A Multi-Level Bayesian Analysis of Racial Bias in Police Shootings at the County-Level in the United States, 2011-2014. - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
Even though this is a conservative estimate of bias, the analyses of 12 law enforcement departments from geographically and demographically diverse locations revealed that racial disparities in police use of force persist even when controlling for racial distribution of local arrest rates.
https://gspp.berkeley.edu/research/f...e-use-of-force

Quote:
“The only thing that was significant in predicting whether someone shot and killed by police was unarmed was whether or not they were black,” said Justin Nix, a criminal justice researcher at the University of Louisville and one of the report’s authors. “Crime variables did not matter in terms of predicting whether the person killed was unarmed.”
Quote:
In the study, researchers wrote that their analysis of the 990 fatal shootings in 2015 “suggests the police exhibit shooter bias by falsely perceiving blacks to be a greater threat than non-blacks to their safety.”

Black individuals shot and killed by police were less likely to have been attacking police officers than the white individuals fatally shot by police, the study found.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1a3_story.html

Quote:
Here is an article from the Economist Magazine where a black economist (Roland Fryer) studied a lot of data and came to some interesting conclusions
Quantifying Black Lives Matter | The Economist

"What shocked Mr Fryer was when he looked in detail at reports of police shootings. He got two separate research teams to read, code and analyse over 1,300 shootings between 2000 and 2015 in ten police departments, including Houston and Los Angeles. To his surprise, he found that blacks were no more likely to be shot before attacking an officer than non-blacks. This was apparent both in the raw data, and once the characteristics of the suspect and the context of the encounter were accounted for."

Article on the issue by Jason Riley who is black
Jason Riley: Race, Politics and the Zimmerman Trial - WSJ
Fryer's paper was neither published nor peer reviewed, among other problems with the study. And for the most part, it actually contradicts the claim you are trying to make

Last edited by the happy guy; 09-09-2016 at 03:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Save your argument for a thread on the topic of race on race crime. This is about systemic authoritarian abuse of power against Black Americans.

And when you find the right thread (and I do mean "Right") then go ahead and reveal your ideology by quoting your American Renaissance positions.
Hmm. I note you didn't mention Wikipedia or infogr.am.....

Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Hmm. I note you didn't mention Wikipedia or infogr.am.....
Why would I? This thread isn't about the topics you linked them for. However, it was totally appropriate to cite your use of AmRen to unveil your motivation for trying to take this topic off into a racist direction using specious Storm-Front trigger memes.

Again, this thread is about CK's protest of systemic racial-based abuse of governmental authoritarian violence in policing. It is not about race on race crime. I can dissect and demolish any race on race crime argument proffered by you and your brethren. I have done so on numerous occasions on these forums as a number of regular readers can attest. I'm not in the mood here and now on this thread. Go take your disgusting diatribe over to P&OC and see if you can find a platform there.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:27 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times
Wonder where bodyforlife99 went...

Old 09-09-2016, 11:32 AM

23 posts, read 28,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
He thinks himself important enough to publically take a stand. He doesn't really have any real info or knowledge so he's following whatever hive mind thinking is happening among his social group. That's what most of these types of things usually come down to.
Nailed It!

Old 09-09-2016, 02:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Why would I? This thread isn't about the topics you linked them for. However, it was totally appropriate to cite your use of AmRen to unveil your motivation for trying to take this topic off into a racist direction using specious Storm-Front trigger memes.

Again, this thread is about CK's protest of systemic racial-based abuse of governmental authoritarian violence in policing. It is not about race on race crime. I can dissect and demolish any race on race crime argument proffered by you and your brethren. I have done so on numerous occasions on these forums as a number of regular readers can attest. I'm not in the mood here and now on this thread. Go take your disgusting diatribe over to P&OC and see if you can find a platform there.
My brethren? LOL You must mean the good people at Wikipedia, whom you wisely ignore.

This entire topic is grounded is race, and the efforts of athletic millionaires to draw attention to highly selective aspects of it. That their efforts are self-serving, worthless and contribute nothing to solving the problem, that they ignore the reality of who does wrong, how often, to whom, is indeed the point of this thread.

Was there a conversation about criminal/police confrontations before these football players began to blame America (with its two-time AA President and Attorney General)? Yes. One might plausibly argue that the media has discussed little else. Results? Zilcherino.

Is there any measurement with which, for example, someone might measure America's compliance whatever it is Mr. Kapernick demands? No.

Instead of boasting about how you can "demolish" folks, why not recommend a course of action to address the endemic problems which have given us a black President, forty some years of Affirmative Action, and elevated these oppressed athletes to fame and what can only be described as obscene wealth -- while countless thousands of our black citizens remain mired in poverty, their children ill-fed and uneducated, their young men addicted to dead-end lifestyles?

I speak as a Vietnam combat veteran, who served proudly with men of color in the jungle and on the Cambodian border, whom I considered and still consider my brothers.. I am happily married to a person of another race (going on 25 years!), and I am a non-Muslim active in the successful fund-raising for the construction of our local Islamic mosque.

To you and the others accusing me of racism and white supremacist beliefs, come forward and show me YOUR bonafides. Then offer something constructive that doesn't involve sitting, kneeling, or disrespecting our country -- tactics which do nothing to address the problem, but which drive us farther and farther apart.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:38 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
My brethren? LOL You must mean the good people at Wikipedia, whom you wisely ignore.

This entire topic is grounded is race, and the efforts of athletic millionaires to draw attention to highly selective aspects of it. That their efforts are self-serving, worthless and contribute nothing to solving the problem, that they ignore the reality of who does wrong, how often, to whom, is indeed the point of this thread.

Was there a conversation about criminal/police confrontations before these football players began to blame America (with its two-time AA President and Attorney General)? Yes. One might plausibly argue that the media has discussed little else. Results? Zilcherino.

Is there any measurement with which, for example, someone might measure America's compliance whatever it is Mr. Kapernick demands? No.

Instead of boasting about how you can "demolish" folks, why not recommend a course of action to address the endemic problems which have given us a black President, forty some years of Affirmative Action, and elevated these oppressed athletes to fame and what can only be described as obscene wealth -- while countless thousands of our black citizens remain mired in poverty, their children ill-fed and uneducated, their young men addicted to dead-end lifestyles?

I speak as a Vietnam combat veteran, who served proudly with men of color in the jungle and on the Cambodian border, whom I considered and still consider my brothers.. I am happily married to a person of another race (going on 25 years!), and I am a non-Muslim active in the successful fund-raising for the construction of our local Islamic mosque.

To you and the others accusing me of racism and white supremacist beliefs, come forward and show me YOUR bonafides. Then offer something constructive that doesn't involve sitting, kneeling, or disrespecting our country -- tactics which do nothing to address the problem, but which drive us farther and farther apart.
I am retired military and a two-tour Vietnam combat vet. Which has nothing to do whatsoever with CK's protest of systemic police racism. I don't have to accuse you of racist beliefs. You've laid them out yourself for all to read.

Now you suggest that there has been no change / results in protests that have only recently begun in the past two - three years? Further that somehow an AA POTUS and AG should have somehow been able to turn around a multi-generational national tradition of discrimination that was born with this nation historically? Ignoring, of course, how long all protest movements take to turn the ship of state? Ignoring the many recent studies resulting in large-scale implementation of anti-profiling procedures and training in LE departments across the nation that will require another generation to more fully cycle into overcoming tradition?

I have addressed those issues you describe above. I do so repeatedly. And among them, the ones that do relate to this thread, include that one of the prime forces at work in Black crime in America is systemic police racism which has always created an "us against them" suspicion and fear in the Black communities - which results in a pernicious mistrust that acts to keep law enforcement as a virtual enemy of the law abiding members of Black American communities as well as the obvious criminal elements. Thus there has been no community partnership with law enforcement to support effective respect.

Like I said before, take your broad brush overview to P&OC to mix and mingle with your Storm Front BS. If you were truly a man of "brotherhood" as you claim, you'd understand the situation you describe rather than spread the myths that support racism.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:56 PM

397 posts, read 364,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Tacos View Post
The ole I have black friends therefore I can't be racist. Your only "Brothers" are those white supremacists that share the exact same views as you. You should give your fellow "Brothers" a call and let them know how you feel about blacks the way you have exhibited on the forum. I'm sure they'll agree 100% with you. Better yet, go to the local black community and attend a town hall and express exactly what you've told us all and your feelings, You'll be welcomed with opened arms.

You can say anything you want online, ex combat Vietnam vet. Sure. I Co Founded Apple. I also walked on the Moon and performed the first brain surgery.
you are making me very hungry

Old 09-09-2016, 05:11 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times
que sabroso!

Old 09-10-2016, 11:26 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,411,487 times
This is a great clip of the African American Milwaukee police chief crushing Don Lemmon on CNN in a debate over BLM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K61XjqyXv_s

I would love to see this police chief debate Mr. Kapernick on TV, he would reduce him to tears in seconds. Raised by white parents in the burbs, Kapernick wouldn't know the 'hood if it hit him in the face. CK should call up the Milwaukee police chief and volunteer to go out on nightly patrols of the worst ghetto's with the local police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K61XjqyXv_s

It's amazing how people go ape sh*t when you merely point out statistics on violent crime (because it's not politically correct to do so), and they start calling people names and assuming they are a Trump fan, Republican, etc... I actually voted for Obama and will vote for Clinton (because I think the alternative is a disaster).

76% of people killed by police officers annually are not African American, but there is no hype, no media frenzy, no riots, no national talk show circuits about that. By the media hype over this issue you would think that 100% of people killed by police officers are African American. And the danger of over hyping racial bias in policing in the media, BLM rhetoric, CK type rhetoric...is it helps motivate the types of young impressionable African American males that assassinated 10 innocent police officers in cold blood in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland