Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Colin Kaepernick's motivation for his protest?
He's very much concerned about the country and how racial discrimination is effecting it 41 32.80%
It is a cry for attention as he's about to become irrelevant and he knows it. 50 40.00%
He feels the team won't cut him now because they're scared of the backlash, thereby taking away attention from his poor play. 22 17.60%
Other 12 9.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 12:36 PM

406 posts, read 288,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
This is a great clip of the African American Milwaukee police chief crushing Don Lemmon on CNN in a debate over BLM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K61XjqyXv_s
Funny. That clip doesn't show Clarke crushing Don Lemon, but rather Clarke's use of bluster and unsound arguments, which makes him look foolish to rational viewers and Don Lemon

Quote:
76% of people killed by police officers annually are not African American, but there is no hype, no media frenzy, no riots, no national talk show circuits about that. By the media hype over this issue you would think that 100% of people killed by police officers are African American. And the danger of over hyping racial bias in policing in the media, BLM rhetoric, CK type rhetoric...is it helps motivate the types of young impressionable African American males that assassinated 10 innocent police officers in cold blood in 2016.
If you are going to play poker in this section of the forum, you better know which cards you are holding.

Yes, racial profiling in policing is overhyped

in Oakland, CA
Stanford big data study finds racial disparities in Oakland, Calif., police behavior, offers solutions | Stanford News

in San Francisco, CA
Federal judge finds evidence of racial bias by S.F. police - SFGate

in Ferguson, MO
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justi...guson-missouri

in Cleveland, OH
Cleveland police will strive for bias-free policing under Justice Department consent decree | cleveland.com

in Baltimore, MD
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/us...lice.html?_r=0

Quote:
The only thing that was significant in predicting whether someone shot and killed by police was unarmed was whether or not they were black,” said Justin Nix, a criminal justice researcher at the University of Louisville and one of the report’s authors. “Crime variables did not matter in terms of predicting whether the person killed was unarmed.”
Quote:
In the study, researchers wrote that their analysis of the 990 fatal shootings in 2015 “suggests the police exhibit shooter bias by falsely perceiving blacks to be a greater threat than non-blacks to their safety.”

Black individuals shot and killed by police were less likely to have been attacking police officers than the white individuals fatally shot by police, the study found.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1a3_story.html

Quote:
LePage was widely criticized earlier this year for claiming men with names like “Smoothie, D-Money and Shifty” were coming into his state to deal drugs. Earlier this week, he said he keeps a binder with mugshots of all the drug dealers arrested in Maine, and he claimed that 90 percent of the people in that binder were black or Hispanic.
Quote:
Note that 95 percent of Maine residents are white, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Then the governor suggested that people of color in Maine were “the enemy.”

“Look, a bad guy is a bad guy, I don’t care what color it is. When you go to war, if you know the enemy, the enemy dresses in red and you dress in blue, you shoot at red, don’t you?” he said. “You shoot at the enemy. You try to identify the enemy. And the enemy right now, the overwhelming majority right now coming in are people of color or people of Hispanic origin. I can’t help that. I just can’t help it. Those are the facts.”
Then according to American Civil Liberties Union of Maine:

Quote:
Studies show that Black people and White people use and sell drugs at similar rates. Significant disparities in arrests, such as the nine-to-one disparity suggested by Gov. LePage, can often be attributed to racial profiling by law enforcement.
https://www.aclumaine.org/en/press-r...dealer-arrests

Last edited by the happy guy; 09-10-2016 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 01:10 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
Funny. That clip doesn't show Clarke crushing Don Lemon, but rather Clarke's use of bluster and unsound arguments, which makes him look foolish to rational viewers and Don Lemon

If you are going to play poker in this section of the forum, you better know which cards you are holding.

Yes, racial profiling in policing is overhyped

in Oakland, CA
Stanford big data study finds racial disparities in Oakland, Calif., police behavior, offers solutions | Stanford News

in San Francisco, CA
Federal judge finds evidence of racial bias by S.F. police - SFGate

in Ferguson, MO
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justi...guson-missouri

in Cleveland, OH
Cleveland police will strive for bias-free policing under Justice Department consent decree | cleveland.com

in Baltimore, MD
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/us...lice.html?_r=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...1a3_story.html

Then according to American Civil Liberties Union of Maine:

https://www.aclumaine.org/en/press-r...dealer-arrests
Lmao ... And all that was just for starters. Thank you Happy Guy for saving me a lot of posting

Old 09-10-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
This is a great clip of the African American Milwaukee police chief crushing Don Lemmon on CNN in a debate over BLM.

I would love to see this police chief debate Mr. Kapernick on TV, he would reduce him to tears in seconds. Raised by white parents in the burbs, Kapernick wouldn't know the 'hood if it hit him in the face. CK should call up the Milwaukee police chief and volunteer to go out on nightly patrols of the worst ghetto's with the local police.

It's amazing how people go ape sh*t when you merely point out statistics on violent crime (because it's not politically correct to do so), and they start calling people names and assuming they are a Trump fan, Republican, etc... I actually voted for Obama and will vote for Clinton (because I think the alternative is a disaster).

76% of people killed by police officers annually are not African American, but there is no hype, no media frenzy, no riots, no national talk show circuits about that. By the media hype over this issue you would think that 100% of people killed by police officers are African American. And the danger of over hyping racial bias in policing in the media, BLM rhetoric, CK type rhetoric...is it helps motivate the types of young impressionable African American males that assassinated 10 innocent police officers in cold blood in 2016.
I will add to Happy Guy's excoriation of your BS blathering nonsense by pointing out that CK being raised by wealthy white parents has absolutely zip to do with the validity of his protest.

Nor does his position as a wealthy, successful Black athlete exempt him from dangerous systemic police profiling and racism as demonstrated by this mind-boggling list of famous Black athletes manhandled, arrested, and shot without cause:
Colin Kaepernick's wealth and fame don't protect him from police brutality. Here's proof - LA Times
No really, read the article and list and come back with something snappy for us to chuckle over.

And finally, once again, this thread, like CK's protest, isn't about Black crime stats. It's about systemic authoritarian profiling and violence by law enforcement against Black Americans.

By the way, this systemic violence by law enforcement and judicial (in)justice directly and dynamically feeds Black criminal realities by alienating all Blacks, rich, poor, educated, homeless - all - from any trusting working relationship with law.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:43 AM

406 posts, read 288,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Broncos' Brandon Marshall kneels during national anthem in season opener

And a bunch more athletes poised to start doing the same. So much for CK's selfish, self-serving motivation, eh? He's just doing it because he's on the way out (except he isn't on the way out it seems). I guess all the other players joining him are all failing in their careers?

Or, is this an actual issue which time has arrived?
Here we go....
NFL Protests Grow Sunday as Players Follow Kaepernick's Lead - ABC News

Old 09-12-2016, 01:43 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times

Old 09-12-2016, 09:28 PM

655 posts, read 2,203,506 times
Tulemutt & the happy guy - I envy the extraordinary patience and facts you use to try to counteract the b.s. being spewed. It's a waste of time because they are dug in with their lies and don't care about the truth.

It's amazing how people use pics like the above when they don't actually care about troops. It's so obvious. But again...its just distraction from their white supremacist leanings to win over the less over the top white supremacist who ACTUALLY don't think they are because they aren't as bad.

Last edited by Slappy san; 09-12-2016 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: lives = lies

Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 PM

Oh um yeah, bmw. You who have never been in the military join in this nauseously obsequious display of phony patriotism - while ignoring the great patriotic tradition of protest of injustice that launched this nation.

Bub, I served. In combat. I picked up bodies that were fallen and had young men die in my arms. And I applaud CK and the many others who are taking a knee to remind America of what we are failing in our quest for equality among all men.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times
Every forum needs a clown, and boy does Bimmer fulfill the role with gusto.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:26 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Every forum needs a clown, and boy does Bimmer fulfill the role with gusto.
I guess the good "Doc" Goldstein retired?

Old 09-14-2016, 08:13 PM

1,099 posts, read 902,079 times
Tony LaRussa on Kaepernick

"“I think that’s disrespectful, and I really question the sincerity of somebody like Kaepernick. I remember when he was on top. I never heard him talk about anything but himself. Now all of a sudden he’s struggling for attention and he makes this big pitch. I don’t buy it. And even if he was sincere, there are other ways to show your concern. Disrespecting our flag is not the way to do it.”

Hmmm...I think I've heard that somewhere before. And it's right in line with the poll results

Tony La Russa questions the ‘sincerity’ of Colin Kaepernick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland