Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2019, 05:06 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Tried to watch this, but the commercial for some drug company kept going on and on and on and on....not willing to deal with that.
I did not see any ads, the link just went directly to the video about the SF homeless problem. I recommend installing the Ad Block Plus browser extension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 05:17 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. Yes I have a pension from working in Law Enforcement for 26 years, however I was never a prison guard - not sure where you got that? But one would think that if my career influenced my opinion then I would support arresting and putting as many people in prison as possible, right?

And for the record, I did not call Matadora a liar so please try to avoid making stuff up, ok?
I was talking about tulemutt

Old 10-09-2019, 06:49 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
You see it as a failure but I'm not sure if you understand why the laws were changed. AB109, Prop 47 and prop 57 were all designed to avoid releasing dangerous or violent inmates from California prisons.
Unintended Results of AB109:

• Filled up county jail with felons serving long-term sentences.
• Allowed felons with violent histories to be released to minimal supervision based on their current commitment offense.

Unintended Results of Prop 47:

• Eliminated DNA collection for those crimes.
• Reduced ability of police to arrest repeat theft offenders.
• No room in jail for misdemeanor sentences due to housing felons under AB 109.
• Dis-incentivized reporting and arrests as victims learned police could not arrest and perpetrators would not be punished.

Unintended Results of Prop 57:

• Crimes not already defined as “violent” count as “non-violent.”
• Constitutional rights of victims being unlawfully reduced.

Not “Violent” felonies

• Human trafficking of a minor for sex [PC236.1(c)]
• Hate crimes [PC 422.7]
• Arson of forest land causing physical injury [PC451(c)]
• Assault w/ deadly weapon on peace officer [245(c)]
• Active participation in a street gang [186.22]
• Exploding destructive device w/ intent to cause injury [18740]
• First degree burglary [PC 459]
• Assault with a deadly weapon or force likely to cause great bodily injury [245(a)(1) &(4)]
• Domestic violence [273.5]
• Battery with Serious Bodily Injury [243(d)]
• Solicitation to Commit Murder [653f(b)]
• Inflicting corporal injury on a child [PC 273d]
• Rape/sodomy/oral copulation of unconscious person or by use of date rape drugs. [ 261(a)(3) & (4), 286(f), 288a(f)]

Are you proud of this?

Old 10-09-2019, 07:28 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I was talking about tulemutt
Tulemutt didn’t call matadora a liar, either.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:16 PM

830 posts, read 486,094 times
Quote:
That's a possibility, I admit I am incredulous that cops would actually drove off leaving that individual on the street, but without evidence to the contrary I will accept the OP's description of events.

It does seem almost unbelievable, doesn't it. But rest assured it happens as I said. If you Google naked+valencia+police you'll come to a site called citizen.com where people are discussing the incident. Of course, I could have registered several accounts with that site and pre-posted several messages from the different accounts in advance of my post here just to make the whole ting up, but....

Anyways, the reason I find the incident so interesting is that it check so many of the boxes that show the uniqueness and severity of the situation in SF:

+ Person was on drugs and/or mentally unstable
+ The writhing on the police car itself seems to show a blatant lack of concern with any authority in SF stopping them
+ Police ignoring the situation confirms the previous point
+ Reduction in the quality of life for law abiding citizens
+ Lack of surprise from locals
+ Denial that the event even happened from Tulemutt, etc.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:19 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Unintended Results of AB109:
• Filled up county jail with felons serving long-term sentences.
• Allowed felons with violent histories to be released to minimal supervision based on their current commitment offense.
That's correct, rather than release tens of thousands of inmates, non-violent felons now serve their prison term in county jails, why would you have an issue with that? As far as supervision, those inmates are placed on community supervision and it works much better than state parole, the parolees are directed into job training and drug rehab and if they aren't working most of them have to spend 3-5 days a week in the PRCS day reporting center taking GED classes or applying for jobs online. All parole did was drug test parolees once a month and revoke their parole if they got arrested on a new case.
Quote:
Unintended Results of Prop 47:
• Eliminated DNA collection for those crimes.
• Reduced ability of police to arrest repeat theft offenders.
• No room in jail for misdemeanor sentences due to housing felons under AB 109.
• Dis-incentivized reporting and arrests as victims learned police could not arrest and perpetrators would not be punished.
AB390 was passed in 2015 and allows for DNA to be collected from most prop 47 offenders (that's why it's never a good idea to find an old article and do a cut/paste )
Regarding the following -
  • "reduced ability to arrest repeat theft offenders" That's 100% wrong, you are probably confused in that prior to prop 47 if you had a second petty theft conviction, called "petty theft with a prior" you could be charged with a felony but there's nothing to keep someone from repeatedly being arrested every time they are arrested for shoplifting. But here's a question for you, do you think it ever made sense to put someone in prison @ a cost of $81,000 a year when their only crime was shoplifting more than once?
  • "no room in jail" not quite. Counties were given 4.4 billion through 2016 to expand their jails and more since then; if they spent the money on something else then residents of those counties should raise hell.
  • "disincetivized reporting" Seriously? That's silly. I doubt if most people even know which crimes can send you to jail and which are handled with a citation, if they witness a crime and are concerned they call the police, if they aren't they don't.
Quote:
Unintended Results of Prop 57:
• Crimes not already defined as “violent” count as “non-violent.”
• Constitutional rights of victims being unlawfully reduced.
Not “Violent” felonies
• Human trafficking of a minor for sex [PC236.1(c)]
• Hate crimes [PC 422.7]
• Arson of forest land causing physical injury [PC451(c)]
• Assault w/ deadly weapon on peace officer [245(c)]
• Active participation in a street gang [186.22]
• Exploding destructive device w/ intent to cause injury [18740]
• First degree burglary [PC 459]
• Assault with a deadly weapon or force likely to cause great bodily injury [245(a)(1) &(4)]
• Domestic violence [273.5]
• Battery with Serious Bodily Injury [243(d)]
• Solicitation to Commit Murder [653f(b)]
• Inflicting corporal injury on a child [PC 273d]
• Rape/sodomy/oral copulation of unconscious person or by use of date rape drugs. [ 261(a)(3) & (4), 286(f), 288a(f)]
When they wrote prop 57 they used the list of violent felonies from 667.5 PC, the crimes on your list are considered "serious" felonies making the offender eligible for a 3 strikes sentence. The legislature should look at that and better define what constitutes a felony for Prop 57, I agree that some of those crimes are by their nature violent and should preclude someone from being able to apply for prop 57 relief.

But the reality is that very few inmates who apply for parole under prop 57 are released, last article I read put the number at 19% And remember an inmate only becomes eligible to apply for prop 57 parole after they have served their entire term for their primary crime.

Am I proud? What a peculiar question. I don't have a dog in this fight, all I did was explain to you why these bills were written but now for some reason you want to make it about me...

Old 10-09-2019, 08:21 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
It does seem almost unbelievable, doesn't it. But rest assured it happens as I said. If you Google naked+valencia+police you'll come to a site called citizen.com where people are discussing the incident. Of course, I could have registered several accounts with that site and pre-posted several messages from the different accounts in advance of my post here just to make the whole ting up, but....

Anyways, the reason I find the incident so interesting is that it check so many of the boxes that show the uniqueness and severity of the situation in SF:

+ Person was on drugs and/or mentally unstable
+ The writhing on the police car itself seems to show a blatant lack of concern with any authority in SF stopping them
+ Police ignoring the situation confirms the previous point
+ Reduction in the quality of life for law abiding citizens
+ Lack of surprise from locals
+ Denial that the event even happened from Tulemutt, etc.
As I said, I accept your word, I can't see that you have any reason to make it up. But people who see something like that, where it's clear the Police are not doing their job need to call and report it, take a picture of it if you can!

Old 10-09-2019, 08:25 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Drug addicts and their enablers. That's what most of this is about...

Old 10-09-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
That's correct, rather than release tens of thousands of inmates, non-violent felons now serve their prison term in county jails, why would you have an issue with that? As far as supervision, those inmates are placed on community supervision and it works much better than state parole, the parolees are directed into job training and drug rehab and if they aren't working most of them have to spend 3-5 days a week in the PRCS day reporting center taking GED classes or applying for jobs online. All parole did was drug test parolees once a month and revoke their parole if they got arrested on a new case.

AB390 was passed in 2015 and allows for DNA to be collected from most prop 47 offenders (that's why it's never a good idea to find an old article and do a cut/paste )
Regarding the following -
  • "reduced ability to arrest repeat theft offenders" That's 100% wrong, you are probably confused in that prior to prop 47 if you had a second petty theft conviction, called "petty theft with a prior" you could be charged with a felony but there's nothing to keep someone from repeatedly being arrested every time they are arrested for shoplifting. But here's a question for you, do you think it ever made sense to put someone in prison @ a cost of $81,000 a year when their only crime was shoplifting more than once?
  • "no room in jail" not quite. Counties were given 4.4 billion through 2016 to expand their jails and more since then; if they spent the money on something else then residents of those counties should raise hell.
  • "disincetivized reporting" Seriously? That's silly. I doubt if most people even know which crimes can send you to jail and which are handled with a citation, if they witness a crime and are concerned they call the police, if they aren't they don't.

When they wrote prop 57 they used the list of violent felonies from 667.5 PC, the crimes on your list are considered "serious" felonies making the offender eligible for a 3 strikes sentence. The legislature should look at that and better define what constitutes a felony for Prop 57, I agree that some of those crimes are by their nature violent and should preclude someone from being able to apply for prop 57 relief.

But the reality is that very few inmates who apply for parole under prop 57 are released, last article I read put the number at 19% And remember an inmate only becomes eligible to apply for prop 57 parole after they have served their entire term for their primary crime.

Am I proud? What a peculiar question. I don't have a dog in this fight, all I did was explain to you why these bills were written but now for some reason you want to make it about me...
It was not an article but a PowerPoint I came across put together by Michele Hanisee; President Association of Deputy District Attorneys from 2018.

Unintended Impacts of AB 109, Proposition 47 & 57

Old 10-09-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Drug addicts and their enablers. That's what most of this is about...

CA but SF in particular does a great job of enabling bad behavior.

The city relentlessly sends the message that drug use is not only acceptable but fully expected. Users dig for veins in plain view on the sidewalk; health authorities distribute more than 4.5 million syringes a year, along with Vitamin C to dissolve heroin and crack, alcohol swabs, and instructions on how to best tie one’s arm for a “hit.”

Needle disposal boxes have been erected outside the city’s public toilets, signaling to children that drug use is a normal part of adult life.

Only 60 percent of the city’s free needles get returned; many of the rest litter the sidewalks and streets or are flushed down toilets.

Source: San Francisco, Hostage to the Homeless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland