Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2019, 02:00 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Ask any cop prop 47 and 57 tied their hands. The POLITICIANS and ACLU are keeping them from detaining him and if they did he/she would be out in a few hours. They didn't even hold that crazy homeless guy that was attacking the lady and keeping her from entering her apt building a few months ago. San Fran is lawless you're on your own there. Very scary. And ask those thousands of people who have had their car window busted how much calling the police and filing report does.

It's exactly what the police in my neighborhood state! Hands are tied from doing their job thanks to both of these props. If they arrest someone they are out within hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 02:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Ask any cop prop 47 and 57 tied their hands. The POLITICIANS and ACLU are keeping them from detaining him and if they did he/she would be out in a few hours. They didn't even hold that crazy homeless guy that was attacking the lady and keeping her from entering her apt building a few months ago. San Fran is lawless you're on your own there. Very scary. And ask those thousands of people who have had their car window busted how much calling the police and filing report does.
Prop 47 and prop 57 had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the scenario that was described, nothing. Large urban cities have never done anything about car break ins and again that has NOTHING to do with prop 47 or prop 57 because forced entry into a vehicle with the intent to steal was and remains a FELONY.

I'll tell you what really pi$$ed off a lot of cops, prop 47 made personal possession of drugs a misdemeanor, but they got riled up not because they thought that would have any impact on drug use (it doesn't) but because the easiest way to get a promotion is by making large numbers of felony arrests, so an ambitious cop would spend his/her time pulling over and arresting people they knew were druggies or had the appearance of it....it was about stats, not public safety.

Do you even know what prop 47 and 57 are about, and how they came to be?

Proposition 57 allows the parole board to release nonviolent prisoners once they have served the full sentence for their primary criminal offense.[4] Previously, prisoners were often required to serve extra time by a sentence enhancement, such as those for repeated offenders.[4] In addition, Proposition 57 requires the Department of Corrections to develop uniform parole credits, which reward prisoners' good behavior with reduced sentences. (only about 19% of the inmates who applied for parole under prop 57 had their application approved)

Prop 47 Reclassified certain theft and drug possession offenses from felonies to misdemeanors. Prop 47 does not apply to auto theft in which the suspect was driving the vehicle, and auto burglaries with forced entry. It also does not apply to commercial burglaries regardless of the value of property stolen.

And both of those propositions and a number of other changes came about not because anyone had any sympathy toward offenders but rather to bring the state into compliance with the Supreme Court cap on prison inmates. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...flna6C10831758

Old 10-09-2019, 02:46 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Their hands aren't tied, what are you even talking about? The person described in that post met the criteria for a 72 hour psychiatric observation. No one kept those officers from detaining them and taking them to the hospital. They also could have made an arrest but while the offenses were somewhat trivial, they still had that option. Everyone should be concerned when Police Officers ignore a situation like that and drive away. If people would report those incidents things would change.
Or, maybe the situation and or the cops weren’t as described in the post, eh?

Old 10-09-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Or, maybe the situation and or the cops weren’t as described in the post, eh?
That's a possibility, I admit I am incredulous that cops would actually drove off leaving that individual on the street, but without evidence to the contrary I will accept the OP's description of events.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

It's exactly what the police in my neighborhood state! Hands are tied from doing their job thanks to both of these props. If they arrest someone they are out within hours.
yep, and the prison guards union hates prop 47 too...did you ever wonder why?

Old 10-09-2019, 03:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yep, and the prison guards union hates prop 47 too...did you ever wonder why?
I don't respect Unions and I really don't care what the prison guards hate.

Prop 47 is a disgrace to any society and there are plenty of folks like myself who see it as a failed prop.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:46 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:

Prop 47 is a disgrace to any society and there are plenty of folks like myself who see it as a failed prop.
Don't you love it when people have no defense so they call you a liar?

2sleepy has a union pension from prison guards so you know where her sympathies lie

Old 10-09-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:

You see it as a failure but I'm not sure if you understand why the laws were changed. AB109, Prop 47 and prop 57 were all designed to avoid releasing dangerous or violent inmates from California prisons. In 2006 the prison population was 165,000 in a system designed to hold 85,000 inmates. in 2011 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that California must release more than 30,000 prisoners, or whatever number it would take to get the population down to a reasonable and Constitutional level, deemed to be 137.5% of capacity or 110,000 inmates.

Rather than tell us what a disgrace it is, why don't you tell us how you would have managed it? Failure to comply with the SCOTUS order was not an option because they were ready to start releasing people using any criteria that they decided was appropriate. When I ask people that question they usually say "just build more prisons" but the problem is that building a new prison is enormously expensive and takes 4-6 years to build, much of that time is tied up in finding a community where the residents will accept a new prison. California's newest prison - a medical/mental health facility in Stockton holding 3,000 inmates cost $840 million dollars.

We need to think about who we put in prison too, for decades California sent people to prison for possessing small quantities of drugs, including marijuana - it costs $81,000 a year to keep an inmate in a California prison and none of them come out better than when they went in, how does that even make sense? Given that there are more drugs in prisons than on the street how was that money well spent?

https://www.propublica.org/article/g...fornia-prisons

Old 10-09-2019, 04:12 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,869 times
[quote=augiedogie;55995579]The homeless problem is simple to solve. If they are breaking drug laws, arrest them and put them in jail.

3 hots and a cot. Don't tempt them.

If they are harming themselves, involuntary confinement in a mental institution.

If there are any left after all the closures decades ago.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Don't you love it when people have no defense so they call you a liar?

2sleepy has a union pension from prison guards so you know where her sympathies lie
That makes absolutely no sense. Yes I have a pension from working in Law Enforcement for 26 years, however I was never a prison guard - not sure where you got that? But one would think that if my career influenced my opinion then I would support arresting and putting as many people in prison as possible, right?

And for the record, I did not call Matadora a liar so please try to avoid making stuff up, ok?

Last edited by 2sleepy; 10-09-2019 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland