Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 11:23 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I don't visit this forum frequently, so I may have missed (apparently) several threads about public defecation on SF streets. For my many years in and around SF, last night was the first time I witnessed such an event.
The threads are relentless. Use the search function and then imagine how many times we've all read and replied. Sadly, they typically come from people who aren't from here and didn't visit but received word of somesuchnonsense on Fox News and then we're left with the mess.

Clearly you're not banging home any political views down our throats, so that's a positive. Thanks for that and sorry you didn't have a good experience in your old stomping grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Great short documentary on homelessness in San Francisco. I promise I'm not trying to make a political statement. I just thought it was really interesting and wanted to pass it along.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-franc...ents-officials
Calling anything put out by Fox News a "documentary" is laughableto the exteme.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelalt View Post
Calling anything put out by Fox News a "documentary" is laughableto the exteme.
sort of like your first post on City Data..

Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 PM

1,203 posts, read 835,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Thank you for the TLDR summary. Helpful.

I realize my short walk was only a small sample of The City's 49 square miles, but this is supposed to be a world class city.

Maybe they enforce laws more diligently during the summer tourist season?
No problem at all. Just remember...S happens! LOL

Sorry you had a crappy experience. Oops, I did it again.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:58 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
By this time, everyone in the country has seen the news reports and read the papers......it is so frequent and ubiquitous that they have maps.......

https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...ranciscos-poop

Old 10-15-2019, 01:59 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
This kind of reminds me of the thrashing I got on a forum back in Chicago when referring to the neighborhood on the South Side I grew up in, which in the 50's and 60's was wonderful, secure and devoid of significant crime. Now a haven for gangs, shootings and drug wars. So how is San Francisco any different? it's NOT the image nor the place media would have you believe it is. Kind of like having a stage with it's curtains drawn so as not to see the seedy side of what's there, just not in plain site continually all around. It's there! just don't look too hard. As for the portapotties they likely don't have them as it would provide a perfect spot to shoot up one's drugs. Seattle has found this one out as well. Plenty of used syringes to be found in them daily. It's a very sad world we now live in I'm sorry to say. But to try to whitewash the reality of the city streets and the nasty occurrences which are there daily is the ostrich placing it's head in the sand as usual.

Salt Lake City is the same way. They went from clean church going society to being loaded with gangs, gender challenged, drug traffic and more. In the last 20 years they've become one of the Seneloa Drug Cartels main hubs and the deaths that occur there monthly from heroin and meth are astounding, some of the largest numbers in the country. Yet somehow the state government and church controlled media keep the public living in this cloud of imagination and not reality. I don't feel San Francisco is any different from that. Having lived there in the 80's to the early 90's it is a far cry from what it was back then (and not in a good way). Oh well........stuff happens.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:05 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Having lived there in the 80's to the early 90's it is a far cry from what it was back then (and not in a good way). Oh well........stuff happens.
And what exactly was it back then? Crime was way higher and a lot of neighborhoods were more run down. I don't get this selective nostalgia people have for the 80's and 90's in SF, a lot of areas weren't that nice back then either.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:13 PM

2,342 posts, read 1,735,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
By this time, everyone in the country has seen the news reports and read the papers......it is so frequent and ubiquitous that they have maps.......

https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...ranciscos-poop
Wow. I. Had. No. Idea.

So sad. I was telling my wife, as we approached the theater where our son was dancing, that if I was an SF worker or business owner with significant business from tourists and visitors, I would not be very happy about how The City was being run.

(trying to steer clear of any politics discussions)

Old 10-15-2019, 02:19 PM

2,342 posts, read 1,735,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And what exactly was it back then? Crime was way higher and a lot of neighborhoods were more run down. I don't get this selective nostalgia people have for the 80's and 90's in SF, a lot of areas weren't that nice back then either.
The 3rd Street Corridor has changed dramatically. It was not very nice back in the 80s and 90s, and after Pac Bell Park went in, that Mission Bay area improved dramatically and that is extending southward into the Corridor.

Correct, many areas were not nice back then. I remember a police ride-along into Double Rock and having my eyes opened. That was mid-1990s.

Selective nostalgia? The City was beautiful back then, with selected and known areas needing improvement. Sure, in 30 years those areas would likely have migrated. The bad experience I had last night showed me that the Tenderloin has extended southward -- maybe not the district but certainly the flavor of the place.

The City is still beautiful today, I visited and toured it by car regularly in 2017. But overall has it gotten worse? Perhaps it has, and perhaps it hasn't, and maybe my thread title intimates that it has but that was not my intention.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:23 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's a perfect way of putting it. Selective nostalgia. My mom talks to me all the time about how our old Italian neighborhood has changed (particularly negatively) but doesn't mention any neighborhoods that are a lot nicer and more clean now. She certainly doesn't comb through any crime data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland