Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It was not an article but a PowerPoint I came across put together by Michele Hanisee; President Association of Deputy District Attorneys from 2018.

Unintended Impacts of AB 109, Proposition 47 & 57
She's wrong about DNA collection, so God only knows what else she screwed up. I posted the text of the 2015 law for you. The problem with some (or should I say most) District Attorney Offices is that they are are often better politicians than they are prosecutors. The public is quite naive when it comes to believing everything that comes out of the DA's office but the truth is that they can only maintain their staffing if there are plenty of people to prosecute, the more the merrier in fact.

It's the same with prisons and police departments. Unfortunately in many cases public safety takes a back seat to the fear tactics they use to scare people into voting for tougher laws, longer sentences and more prisons. I worked in the system and in retrospect much of it disgusts me. I worked with many fine people who truly cared about what they were doing, but the administrations of these "criminal justice" bureaucracies don't care about much of anything except increasing their budget and the size of their fiefdom /rant off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 PM

21,742 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
It does seem almost unbelievable, doesn't it. But rest assured it happens as I said. If you Google naked+valencia+police you'll come to a site called citizen.com where people are discussing the incident. Of course, I could have registered several accounts with that site and pre-posted several messages from the different accounts in advance of my post here just to make the whole ting up, but....

Anyways, the reason I find the incident so interesting is that it check so many of the boxes that show the uniqueness and severity of the situation in SF:

+ Person was on drugs and/or mentally unstable
+ The writhing on the police car itself seems to show a blatant lack of concern with any authority in SF stopping them
+ Police ignoring the situation confirms the previous point
+ Reduction in the quality of life for law abiding citizens
+ Lack of surprise from locals
+ Denial that the event even happened from Tulemutt, etc.
Well, tulemutt didn’t “deny the event happened”. Tulemutt said maybe whatever may have happened that you referred to didn’t happen as you describe. Your detailed play by play coverage was quite impressive. Indicating you stayed, focused, for a considerable length of time ... not filming on your cell camera either. Very dramatically graphic recounting. You should consider a media career. ... But also, perhaps the police response was not as you described, in that you may not have been aware of other mitigating factors - such as were they pressed to leave to respond to a different incident of higher priority? I don’t know what you saw. I don’t know what the police saw or were otherwise dealing with. I do know that if it was anything close to your description and the cops were fully aware of a naked maniac shi**ing on their car and street the reality is there would have been some intervention called for.

I also took your suggestion to Google “naked+Valencia+Police” and found nothing to support your story ... I then went to citizen.com as you suggested and found nothing to support your story. So, if you could track down and repost an actual link to the specific event coverage / discussion, that would be meaningful.

That all said, I am still saying I don’t know if it happened. I am not declaring it did not. I will declare that even if it did occur, and especially as you dramatically recounted, it really is not an example of any common occurance as you are suggesting it is emblematic of. It would be an example of a rare extreme behavior ... the likes of which DO, indeed, happen ... but hardly common enough to warrant stereotyping homelessness behaviors to such extreme as you seem to want to project.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:48 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,744,862 times
Default Wow, what happened to my city??!! (nasty, TMI)

I lived in San Francisco from 1979, when I moved in from New England as a high school graduate, to the late 1990s when I moved south onto the peninsula. I love my city. The City.

Last night our son, a professional dancer living and working in NYC, was touring and performing in The City, so my wife and I took CalTrain up to 4th & Townsend, then walked up 4th to Market and then west on Market a few blocks, and then to the theater. Walking up 4th, beneath the freeway (Bryant to Harrison), is a tent city and I’m glad I was walking with my wife, that she wasn’t walking alone. That’s not too bad. But soon later there was open nastiness along the way, and I guess the single event that made me smirk and shake my head inwardly was something that my wife did not notice (she frequently doesn’t notice things, she’s not the most observant person). She’s not from The City and never lived there.

What I saw was an openly-defecating man, on Market Street between 4th and 5th on the north side of Market, at about 6pm. He was up against one of the buildings. NASTY!

We’d been walking alongside the buildings to that point. I noticed him a few yards away as he was wiping himself and I steered us away from the buildings. I don’t think my wife saw him. At least she didn’t say anything, and I certainly did not point it out, either then or afterwards.

Yes I do know that the homeless need to go to the bathroom somewhere. But on Market Street? Back when I lived there it was closer to 8th and 9th that Market got a little seedy.

Wow, what happened to my city??!!

It's gotten unattractive, in those areas that, okay, weren’t really known for touristy-attractive areas but they used to at least be decent.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:02 AM

So yeah, it was pretty gross, seeing a pile of fresh excrement beneath a squatting homeless guy.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:48 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
So yeah, it was pretty gross, seeing a pile of fresh excrement beneath a squatting homeless guy.
I find it interesting that everyone who doesn't live in San Francisco but has enough intrigue in their mind to post to internet forums about how awful the city has become ALL share the same story: that they saw a homeless man POOP right on the street! Isn't it sort of funny how everyone claims to see the same thing?

I have a few gentle thoughts on this. One is that I think there are people who want to confirm their choices in life. If, let's say you opted to live in Sacramento instead of San Francisco, these stories would reassure you that you made a better decision. If I was walking through San Francisco today and I saw someone poop on the street, my first reaction might be to laugh a little bit in my head and continue about my business. Maybe I'd tell a friend what I saw. But I'd probably not spend the amount of time necessary to post it on an internet forum as if I had just witnessed the apocalypse.

But why is it always poop? Why does everyone with an agenda supposedly witness the exact same experience?

I once spotted a homeless man masturbating at the bus stop. Another was dry-humping the air at a bus stop. I didn't watch but went about my business. It didn't affect my opinion of the city that the person lived in. But in all of the years I've lived here, I've never actually seen anyone poop. And I sure have put a lot of miles on these feet in "The City" (by the way, I love how you unnecessarily emphasized that we refer to it as the City to make it seem like you're with it).

Are you guys following around homeless people with your eyes, waiting for them to perform everyday chores? Did you really witness it or do you just find that excrement is the easiest thing to say happened because... well, everyone else does too?

At some point, people are going to wonder if you're really witnessing this stuff, or if you're just posting new threads on forums for another reason. Afterall, you could have just as easily responded to the myriad threads and told your story. Instead, we're just flooding a perfectly good forum with this nonsense.

By the way, let's say it really happened yesterday. I mean, it certainly could have. Who gets so close or stares so intently that you're actually seeing the mound of poop "beneath a squatting homeless guy"? Even if your thread is based in reality, my next question is... what's wrong with you? lol Go! Walk away! Let the poor man be and stop staring at people's poop, weirdo.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:00 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times
WHY are there not numerous portapotties everywhere?

Old 10-15-2019, 11:01 AM

1,203 posts, read 836,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I find it interesting that everyone who doesn't live in San Francisco but has enough intrigue in their mind to post to internet forums about how awful the city has become ALL share the same story: that they saw a homeless man POOP right on the street! Isn't it sort of funny how everyone claims to see the same thing?

I have a few gentle thoughts on this. One is that I think there are people who want to confirm their choices in life. If, let's say you opted to live in Sacramento instead of San Francisco, these stories would reassure you that you made a better decision. If I was walking through San Francisco today and I saw someone poop on the street, my first reaction might be to laugh a little bit in my head and continue about my business. Maybe I'd tell a friend what I saw. But I'd probably not spend the amount of time necessary to post it on an internet forum as if I had just witnessed the apocalypse.

But why is it always poop? Why does everyone with an agenda supposedly witness the exact same experience?

I once spotted a homeless man masturbating at the bus stop. Another was dry-humping the air at a bus stop. I didn't watch but went about my business. It didn't affect my opinion of the city that the person lived in. But in all of the years I've lived here, I've never actually seen anyone poop. And I sure have put a lot of miles on these feet in "The City" (by the way, I love how you unnecessarily emphasized that we refer to it as the City to make it seem like you're with it).

Are you guys following around homeless people with your eyes, waiting for them to perform everyday chores? Did you really witness it or do you just find that excrement is the easiest thing to say happened because... well, everyone else does too?

At some point, people are going to wonder if you're really witnessing this stuff, or if you're just posting new threads on forums for another reason. Afterall, you could have just as easily responded to the myriad threads and told your story. Instead, we're just flooding a perfectly good forum with this nonsense.

By the way, let's say it really happened yesterday. I mean, it certainly could have. Who gets so close or stares so intently that you're actually seeing the mound of poop "beneath a squatting homeless guy"? Even if your thread is based in reality, my next question is... what's wrong with you? lol Go! Walk away! Let the poor man be and stop staring at people's poop, weirdo.
For those that don't feel like reading the whole diatribe, here's the interpretation....I don't want anything critical said about the city so please stop regardless if it happened or not.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
For those that don't feel like reading the whole diatribe, here's the interpretation....I don't want anything critical said about the city so please stop regardless if it happened or not.
Thank you for the TLDR summary. Helpful.

I realize my short walk was only a small sample of The City's 49 square miles, but this is supposed to be a world class city.

Maybe they enforce laws more diligently during the summer tourist season?

Old 10-15-2019, 11:10 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Not true at all. I don't live or invest in SF for a reason. I really don't like San Francisco except to occasionally go for a walk. Of my favorite cities in the U.S., it probably doesn't even earn a spot in my Top 25.

What I'm asking for is a little more creativity from posters who want to create these incessant threads. But in this case, I'm more curious about the type of person that stares at someone else's poop. Right? Wouldn't it suck to be born with that type of fetish inside you? If you were the type of person that liked to describe the "fresh mound" of excrement "beneath a squatting homeless man"?

Old 10-15-2019, 11:20 AM

Next time I'll just make stuff up and post it. Maybe that's what you're looking for?

I don't visit this forum frequently, so I may have missed (apparently) several threads about public defecation on SF streets. For my many years in and around SF, last night was the first time I witnessed such an event.

I know these people need a place to go to the bathroom. Another poster upthread suggested more porta-potties, and that would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland