Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 06:02 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHoover View Post
Fremont is just a commuter town not unlike Tracy
According to Wikipedia, the following cities are included in Silicon Valley: Belmont, Campbell, Cupertino, East Palo Alto, Fremont, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos, Menlo Park, Milpitas, Morgan Hill, Mountain View, Newark, Palo Alto, Redwood City, San Carlos San Jose, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Saratoga, Sunnyvale, and Woodside. I've heard others include Union City, which is next to Fremont and Newark. Silicon Valley is still growing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Tracy is a distant bedroom community of the SF Bay Area/Silicon Valley, very unlike Fremont. Tracy is waaaaaay out there, on the other side of the Altamont Pass. Before all the newer subdivisions were built, I knew the old Tracy like the back of my hand, since two of my grandparents retired to the outskirts of Tracy (Tracy address) . I spent a huge amount of my childhood there, having an entire second group of friends made up of children and grandchildren of full and part-time residents of what was then mostly a vacation resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 08:47 PM

136 posts, read 105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
And yet you didn't bother to name it. I'm not sure why some of us are even continuing to engage with you. It's pretty obvious you're just trolling at this point.
Ok. Menlo Park or Palo Alto. They’re 1/7th the population each roughly and yet they have greater economic activity. Heck I’d argue sand hill road by itself has more economic strength than all of Fremont.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:38 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Ok. Menlo Park or Palo Alto. They’re 1/7th the population each roughly and yet they have greater economic activity. Heck I’d argue sand hill road by itself has more economic strength than all of Fremont.
Why are all arguing? Who do you need to prove anything? The OP is clearly not sure about his west bay choice of residence. Otherwise, he would not try to bring down an area nearby. Yes? Don't feed him. You are not going to convince him and unless you need to convince yourself--what's the point.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Why are all arguing? Who do you need to prove anything? The OP is clearly not sure about his west bay choice of residence. Otherwise, he would not try to bring down an area nearby. Yes? Don't feed him. You are not going to convince him and unless you need to convince yourself--what's the point.
But the west bay aka the peninsula is better in every way

Old 09-27-2019, 07:10 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
The immediate Palo Alto-Menlo Park and environs area Id say YES is probably one of the most desirable areas in the world.

The rest of the peninsula along 101/280 is very nice too but Id suggest that 680/24 corridor is actually 'nicer' than the area from Daly City down through Redwood City.

By 'nicer', I just mean more upscale overall. The peninsula has superrich small towns but Walnut Creek, Danville, San Ramon and Pleasanton seem way more chic to me than Redwood City, San Carlos, Belmont, Foster City, San Mateo, Millbrae, San Bruno, South City.

Include Livermore and Fremont in the 680/24 corridor and to me overall that area is a preferable region to live in.

South of Palo Alto, I consider that South Bay, not Peninsula.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:59 AM

MrHoover's silly peninsula snobbery is very 1980s. Lol.

The East Bay happens to be one of the most prestigious areas of the country as well. In fact, Oakland borders much more affluent neighborhoods than SF does

15 Largest Clusters of 'Super Elite' Zip Codes in the US:
1 Washington DC
2 Manhattan East
3 San Jose
4 Boston
5 Oakland
6 Bridgeport
7 Newark
8 Chicago
9 North of Los Angeles
10 Long Island
11 West Manhattan
12 Trenton
13 Philadelphia
14 San Diego
15 South of Los Angeles

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/lo...=.772568462c07

3) "San Jose" is Foster City along 92 up tp 280 and then that corridor all the way past Los Gatos, the only bayside section apart from Foster City is a small sliver of Menlo Park.

5) "Oakland" is the Hy 13 corridor of the Oakland-Berkeley Hills actually scraping downtown Oakland(lol), then the Hy 24 corridor for its entire length from Hy 13 all the way to Walnut Creek then 680 south to 580 and into Pleasanton.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The immediate Palo Alto-Menlo Park and environs area Id say YES is probably one of the most desirable areas in the world.

The rest of the peninsula along 101/280 is very nice too but Id suggest that 680/24 corridor is actually 'nicer' than the area from Daly City down through Redwood City.

By 'nicer', I just mean more upscale overall. The peninsula has superrich small towns but Walnut Creek, Danville, San Ramon and Pleasanton seem way more chic to me than Redwood City, San Carlos, Belmont, Foster City, San Mateo, Millbrae, San Bruno, South City.

Include Livermore and Fremont in the 680/24 corridor and to me overall that area is a preferable region to live in.

South of Palo Alto, I consider that South Bay, not Peninsula.
The 24/680 is too
McMansion-y too me.

The peninsula like Belmont/San Mateo/San Carlos/foster city/redwood city has that “1960s timeless wealthy” class to it that those east bay cities are lacking.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:06 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
OK. You win.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
MrHoover's silly peninsula snobbery is very 1980s. Lol.

The East Bay happens to be one of the most prestigious areas of the country as well. In fact, Oakland borders much more affluent neighborhoods than SF does

15 Largest Clusters of 'Super Elite' Zip Codes in the US:
1 Washington DC
2 Manhattan East
3 San Jose
4 Boston
5 Oakland
6 Bridgeport
7 Newark
8 Chicago
9 North of Los Angeles
10 Long Island
11 West Manhattan
12 Trenton
13 Philadelphia
14 San Diego
15 South of Los Angeles

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/lo...=.772568462c07

3) "San Jose" is Foster City along 92 up tp 280 and then that corridor all the way past Los Gatos, the only bayside section apart from Foster City is a small sliver of Menlo Park.

5) "Oakland" is the Hy 13 corridor of the Oakland-Berkeley Hills actually scraping downtown Oakland(lol), then the Hy 24 corridor for its entire length from Hy 13 all the way to Walnut Creek then 680 south to 580 and into Pleasanton.
San Francisco borders water on 3 side. You could say Detroit borders more upscale neighborhoods too.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
San Francisco borders water on 3 side. You could say Detroit borders more upscale neighborhoods too.
But you said the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHoover
That's clearly not true for much of the northern peninsula, which is an otherwise nice area, but it does not meet the tough criteria laid out in your quote.

Hardly. Fremont by itself thrashes the combined sum of Daly City, Colma, South City and San Bruno as far as desirability, schools, weather, neighborhoods etc.

Let alone that massive area surrounding Oakland in that Washington Post article, which apparently is the 5th largest cluster of upwardly mobile households in the entire country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland