Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 11:41 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
I'm not sure there's much difference between much of the East Bay-take Walnut Creek, for example-and OC. The city of SF is obviously a different story. Don't know enough about San Jose and SV. Though I would wager there are commonalities between there and OC as well. It's really just SF and Berkeley that are markedly different.
There IS a difference for sure. Walnut Creek and the outer east bay is not nearly as conservative as Orange County. Yes it is probably the most "conservative" part of the Bay Area but that's not saying much. Nowhere in the Bay Area is on par with OC imo. The Walnut Creek area is more moderate and more like parts of coastal San Diego and parts of LA in terms of ideology imo. The newer parts with more gated communities like Blackhawk are probably the closest thing to OC but even then it's not quite as conservative.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
I'm not sure there's much difference between much of the East Bay-take Walnut Creek, for example-and OC. The city of SF is obviously a different story. Don't know enough about San Jose and SV. Though I would wager there are commonalities between there and OC as well. It's really just SF and Berkeley that are markedly different.
And Oakland as well. Those three cities are sister cities and have the same political and economic environments. All three are dominated by hardcore (and annoying) liberals.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There IS a difference for sure. Walnut Creek and the outer east bay is not nearly as conservative as Orange County. Yes it is probably the most "conservative" part of the Bay Area but that's not saying much. Nowhere in the Bay Area is on par with OC imo. The Walnut Creek area is more moderate and more like parts of coastal San Diego and parts of LA in terms of ideology imo. The newer parts with more gated communities like Blackhawk are probably the closest thing to OC but even then it's not quite as conservative.
Pleasanton is quite conservative actually. Livermore as well. There are some mid-size cities in the east bay with republican percentages over 30%. You'd be surprised.

I'd say the outer east bay (contra costa country) and parts of the south bay are roughly the equivalent to OC.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Yea that whole 680 corridor is more conservative but not nearly on the level of the OC. Placer county where I live is more like Orange county. New suburban area, with one of the largest if not the largest republican per capita out of any county in California. Moderator cut: Unnecessary/insulting

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-02-2009 at 03:08 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 02:05 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Admittedly, I wasn't just comparing those places solely on political orientation. I was considering the suburban and culturally, uh, "vanilla" nature of the places.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
And Oakland as well. Those three cities are sister cities and have the same political and economic environments. All three are dominated by hardcore (and annoying) liberals.
Wow I'm an annoying liberal, sweet! LOL That's what I love about those three cities. They dominate the Bay Area though (IMO). The only other place I've ever found that are just like them is Seattle.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Pleasanton is quite conservative actually. Livermore as well. There are some mid-size cities in the east bay with republican percentages over 30%. You'd be surprised.

I'd say the outer east bay (contra costa country) and parts of the south bay are roughly the equivalent to OC.
Yep, this is true. In Fact, isn't Rush Limbaugh from San Ramon?

Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Wow I'm an annoying liberal, sweet! LOL That's what I love about those three cities. They dominate the Bay Area though (IMO).
You know what they say, one mans trash is another mans (or womans) treasure.

Yes liberals dominate the bay area overall but they are most intense in Oakland, Berkeley and San Francisco. Out of those three cities, Oakland is probably the most disagreeable. In other parts of the bay it gets more moderate and the ultra-liberalism tapers off.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
You know what they say, one mans trash is another mans (or womans) treasure.

Yes liberals dominate the bay area overall but they are most intense in Oakland, Berkeley and San Francisco. Out of those three, Oakland is probably the most disagreeable. In other parts of the bay it gets more moderate and the ultra-liberalism tapers off.
Why would Oakland be? Berkeley is the one known as "Bizerkley"

Old 09-30-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Why would Oakland be? Berkeley is the one known as "Bizerkley"
Largely because berkeley has the UC campus (which makes it more liberal overall) and makes it appear to be more liberal when in fact Oakland is more liberal. College towns are always liberal and that brings up the overall percentages. The higher poverty rate is also mis-represented due to lots of low income college kids there.

In reality Oakland has more poverty and is more liberal than even Berkeley is (yes its possible lol). And a way higher crime rate. If you accounted for just berkeley residents proper and not young college students who are going there for school, it'd be on par with San Francisco demographically.

Last edited by BayDude; 09-30-2009 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland