Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Anytime anyone posts a thread to say "all of the people in city / country / social group / race X are all the same way", I immediately have to question the validity of anything they have to say after that. And if you're smart, you should, too. These kinds of statements invariably say a lot more about the poster than they do about anything that really has to do the subjects of their stereotypes. Me personally, I learned that applying broad, blunt stereotypes to entire large segments of people is unrealistic and unfair back when I was still in high school...shame that some people apparently never learn this.
Yeah I agree when someone says "everyone is like this or that" and speaks in absolutes then it's ridiculous but I didn't get that from the OP. The OP didn't say "all", but just said "people". If the OP had said "some of the people" then that kind of changes the tone of the post but the message is still the same either way. It's generalizing and stereotyping but we all do it to an extent and there is truth to them or they wouldn't exist.

Quote:
And, just by the way, buying into broad, blunt stereotypes is the first enabling step toward discrimination and racism of any and all kinds throughout history. Not much good comes from it.
Well I remember that next time so I don't accidentally turn into a racist. No offense but it's just kind of ironic you threw this pointless statement in here b/c it just lives up to the bleeding heart ultra-pc Bay Area stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:33 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
ROFLMAO - the award goes to this one tonight!
I'm serious, I've spent an equal amount of time in both places and San Diegans are marshmallow people compared to the Bay Area.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald342 View Post
I originally moved to SF from New York city for a job (they paid for the relocation and such) a couple months ago. And man, its been a major culture shift which is ok I suppose. But also very irritating in a number of ways to a life long east coaster like myself. Almost to the point of making normal social interaction difficult because of over-PC ness.

"Sarcasm" seems to be lost on most people here. They all look at me with blank stares when I make a sarcastic joke or comment.

Say "thats gay" your called out as a homophobe.

People give you stares of disaproval if your the type of person that looks like to have somewhere to go, commitments to make, likes to dress up for business etc. Just no sense of working to "get ahead". What gives? Do people here just prefer others to be as miserable, non-goal oriented, aim-less and broke as they are?

Overall the people in this area seem to lack alot of aspects of character and tend to be very introverted and quiet. I also see theres less of an energy here. Everything from major stores to mom and pop shops to restaurants closes early and people don't seem to care. Even nightclubs close early (WTF?).

Anyways I was just venting. Personally I think the weather is great here, but I like the east coast better in terms of the relationships, people and the overall attitude of most people. I just gel well with folks who are more honest about themselves and know how to stick up for themselves without complaining or crying. Those types are usually laughed out of New York City. Its very soft.

How can people live like this day and day out and not go crazy?

/rant
Don't blame your inability to adjust to life here in this premier area on the area. It's YOU. Many versatile NYers happily call this great place home and your ability to do likewise depends on how successful you are at making a life here that is NOT anything like that hell hole that is NYC. A place is what you make it.

But, be yourself. In time, you will rise to the level here.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:24 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm serious, I've spent an equal amount of time in both places and San Diegans are marshmallow people compared to the Bay Area.
That is reassuring to hear. I am about to move up the Bay Area and I hope I am moving towards an area in which I would fit in much better.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:49 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Why are people in the Bay Area so soft?? Hmmm, I dunno. You should take a ride down to West Point and Middlepoint in SF or 3rd and Silva in North Richmond and ask the folks there. I'm sure they'll be glad to break it down to ya!

Quote:
I originally moved to SF from New York city for a job (they paid for the relocation and such) a couple months ago. And man, its been a major culture shift which is ok I suppose. But also very irritating in a number of ways to a life long east coaster like myself. Almost to the point of making normal social interaction difficult because of over-PC ness.
This is understandable, it can be very annoying. Plenty of people here aren't like this at all, TRUST ME, but I can't blame ya for not liking it if you keep coming across it.

Quote:
"Sarcasm" seems to be lost on most people here. They all look at me with blank stares when I make a sarcastic joke or comment.
I've heard this several times from certain East Coasters, but I find it very odd. Sarcasm is like a second language to me, and I don't often have issues with people here grasping it. I have had people from other regions of CA and other states (including states in the NE and especially in VA) not catch my sarcasm and take me too literally at times, so I wonder if it might just be different types of sarcasm? Either that or I just don't associate with the stereotypical San Franciscans/Bay Area folks that seem to greet the East Coast transplants.

Sucks for you tho if you can't even be understood in that way. I know if I were in your shoes I'd find that stifling and would want to get away from people like that that I couldn't be myself around. My only advice there is just keep an open mind and maybe try getting out and about in different parts of the Bay and meet more people. Hope it gets better for you man, good luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Everything from major stores to mom and pop shops to restaurants closes early and people don't seem to care.
> I was getting a lot of heat on this forum for stating this obvious fact that things close super early here. Wait until SF supporters come out in full force to prove that you are wrong! Now you are comparing with NYC and it is understandable that SF will be slower that that. But heck everything here closes earlier even compared to Dallas, TX.

I have not noticed anything about the behavior issues but I do find people here talk less and not very out going. However people in my work are very hard-working, go-getter, aggressive type. Not laid back at all.

SF has many good things going for it. But the way things close down so early completely drives me nuts.

Notice how no one jumped on him for stating it the way he did? B/c he didn't go about it the way you did and sound like a complete douche. He didn't make any untrue claims of nothing existing that was open past certain hours in a specific neighborhood like you did. You got heat b/c your claims were untrue, and then when you were corrected you chose not to acknowledge the lie you were caught in and moved on to your next series of exaggerated complaints. Yours was a textbook troll maneuver; he was simply speaking the truth. There's a difference, and maybe if you learn to develop any people skills down the road you'll be able to comprehend this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Ah there you go again! It is always somebody else's fault as if people who have lived here longer than 15 years is inherently superior than everybody else. You make it sound like as if old-timer SF residents are a superior form of human species.
Please quit complaining about transplants. US is a free country where people move from one place to the other and rest assured the more dynamic economic regions of the country has way more transplants than the bay area does.
You are entitled to feel superior as a native if that makes you happy. But there is no logical basis of such an absurd claim!
And there you go again! Its always everything to do with San Francisco that is wrong and never your whacked-out perceptions. And who are YOU of all people to ask ANYONE else to stop complaining about ANYTHING??? What a freakin hypocrite!

No one said people can't legally move here, genius. But San Francisco now has about a 35% native population and the "stereotypical San Franciscans" that everybody loves to bag on are very rarely if EVER natives that grew up in the City of San Francisco. And the people complaining are usually transients who come here for 1 to 5 years and just add to that which they abhor so much. So Clongirl is completely correct in what she is describing, and the only "superiority" that has been displayed in these threads lately has been that of you and your "Texas is Heaven on Earth" BS.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I'm seeing a pattern of out of state whiners and complainers and newbie culture shock victims. So San Franciscans are soft?? Uh, you might want to rethink that statement all together. This is what I've been reading over and over again lately. I've tried my best at biting my tongue but it's like a free for all lately. The tone had become irritating and pointless.

Our Victorians/Edwardians aren't warm enough.
There's not modern hook ups for all dishwashers/washing machines etc..
Everything is closed early
People are mean
Too many homeless
Too many poor..oh wait.. I mean too many wealthy..
Violence..people waiting around the corner to stab you while handling pit bulls, people trying to beat you up on MUNI
public transport is horrible.
people are too laid back..oh wait..too workaholic, too materialistic..oh, they aren't goal oriented..slackers, too busy
Too liberal, too many gays etc..

Perhaps if anything all of the recent negative "venting" rants might have sparked some friendships from a bunch of like minded people?? Maybe this is the start of some beautiful friendships of unhappy "blow ins"? Just an observation.

So culture shock happens..but to go on and on about it is pointless. You're obviously not from here so you're not ever going to be invested in changing San Francisco or even caring or making it better..typical of what's wrong with "out of staters"..typical transient mentality..and actually the main reason for the demise of a once great middle class, family friendly, vibrant and fun City, imo.

So you must realize before complaining that it is/has been you, and most of the people just like you that invaded SF in the past 15yrs that have contributed to what you hate about it. Ask around..how many of you are actually San Franciscans? I bet you..none.
Excellent post.

I agree with all of the above, except I'm not ready to throw the OP in with the rest of the choads you've addressed in there yet. I'm reserving judgment b/c so far he is only speaking his mind and expressing curiosity. I don't blame anyone for reacting negatively to it though, b/c it is very poor timing on his part considering the barrage of moronic bashing we've endured here in recent weeks. But I actually welcome his kind of criticism. At least based on the tone he's taken here so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
What would you like us to to about it? This is my point. Whether I agree or not with all the rants..doesn't matter..it's about wasting your time on negativity and *itching to people that don't care.

I lived in Sacramento for a couple of years..it really wasn't my thing, but I didn't complain endlessly to the people from Sacramento about it. I made the best of it and ultimately moved. No biggie..

So you don't like it? Okay, so what..quit obsessing and get a life. Move if you need to get away from it. Nobody cares.

In Ireland (I lived there too) we call people like you "misery guts". They try to blame their misery on everything and everyone else. That would be you my friend. Now, go get a life. And try to make some friends..it might do you good and change your perspective. And yes, go visit NYCor some other real American city if it'll help you cheer the he++ up.
+1!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I have a way to find non-soft people, walk into a bar and start calling guys soft...see what you get.
Lmao my thoughts exactly!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
There are "hard" and "soft" people everywhere. There are also PC and un-PC people everywhere...that's about all that an be said in response to this thread.

I've know LOTS of people from the Bay Area who handle un-PC humor and sarcasm extremely well, and actively engage in it all the time (i'm one of them. My sense of humor is basically the opposite of politically correct, as are plenty of other people i know/grew up with, and i'm a born and raised SF native). I actually find that sarcasm and un-PC humor is at times taken much more well here than it is in Connecticut, where some of my family lives (wouldn't a supposedly more laid-back area such as SF be MORE conducive to un-PC humor and such anyways? You know, as in we're less likely to take it seriously over here?).

At the same time though, i know this is an extremely diverse place, and there are those people who are very defensive and/or sensitive, whether rightly or unrightly so. , so i do keep an eye out when i'm making un-PC jokes or whatever, to make sure i don't inadvertently get my self into an argument with an offended person. There's a difference between being politically correct and just having a basic respect for others around you (and a basic respect for yourself, i.e. not looking like a complete tool).
I totally agree, and I think there are different parameters for what qualifies as tact in CA and NYC.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Visit NYC, you'll love it.

I agree with most of what your saying. People here seem to lack certain character traits that make strong, independant individuals. It makes people here softer, less aggressive, less witty and less alert.

Maybe New Yorkers have a more of a healthy self-confidence about themselves? Maybe it has'nt fell pray to guilt, shame and other emotions multiculturalists and environmentalists like to prey on.

There's definitely a huge difference and I'm not the only one who sees it. That much I can tell you.
I appreciate your perspective and I think you may have some good points (or at least partially), but I'm not sure if I agree about the confidence of NYers being "healthy." At least not in all cases. There is a substantial contingent of NYers who are unhealthfully over-confident and pretty much believe they own the world b/c they are from NY. They lack any and all tact, and they have a complete lack of humility - meaning they are idiotically stubborn and they carry out arguments like 5 year old children. I don't think they represent the majority of NYers at all (especially after spending some time NYC), but the ones who are like this are TOO confident in their beliefs. Even to the point of depriving themselves of all that realistically exists beyond the Hudson.

Just had to point this out b/c I feel that "confidence blinders" are not a good thing. But I do think that most of what you are saying can be true much of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland