Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:49 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGl View Post
So what. It's Texas. Not Texass. I'm glad to be back in Houston.
For me:

General SF Bay Area > Houston > Texas in general > San Francisco

The Bay Area, away from SF, can be a very redeeming place to live. My feelings toward SF have become less "hard" over the course of a year, but I'm still not enthralled with "the city." Beautiful settings, interesting neighborhoods and not as dirty as people make it out to be, but much of the populace is surly and snobby (which applies to the whole SFBA to an extent, and that would likely be an ultimate reason for me to leave the area if I ever became tired of that element). SF thinks very, very highly of itself and likes to put itself on a pedestal with NYC, London, Paris, and Tokyo, when in fact L.A. is the California city that can complete with those alphas.

I think I'd really enjoy living in Houston, also. Different from the Bay Area, to be sure, but with many of the same multicultural attributes and a surprisingly urban (to people who don't know Houston) Inner Loop. Houston summers can suck, but then I also grew up back in the South. I think I'd like Austin and Ft. Worth, too, and have liked my visits. As a whole, however, I would still pick California over Texas, but I don't get all the hate Californians have toward Texas and vice versa. (I'll concede that San Antonio hasn't impressed me, however, yet my jury is still out on San Diego.)

I will also add in comparing the two states (and I'll just plug Texas in with the South for the sake of this argument) that Texas/Southern women are far superior to California women. Sorry, Californians, they just are. I've met some nice California 20-somethings, but most'a them are just very self-absorbed. Too bad the Southern chicks tend to get married at age 21-28--it's that Bible Belt peer pressure.

But back to the Bay: Did you get to check out Oakland? Alameda? Towns on the peninsula such as Half Moon Bay, San Mateo, Redwood City and Palo Alto? How about wineries in Napa, Sonoma or Livermore? Did you venture over to Sausalito, Tiburon and Stinson Beach? I'm just curious, even though I'm sure you realize that the Bay Area is much more than "the city."

Last edited by EclecticEars; 08-26-2012 at 12:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 02:34 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
What makes people think that it's an intelligent idea to stereotype the emotions of millions of individuals who happen to live in the same city?

Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
What is this city competition and what are the rules? I had no idea LA was doing so well in this game.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:34 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
The OP was here on a one-day day trip, not even overnight. His/her observations should be given the weight they are due.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:55 PM

327 posts, read 766,971 times
I'd love to go back to SF, though I feel I'd only be happy there with my girlfriend. If I were alone in SF, I'd be beyond depressed. I don't know what it is, but there's some eerie feeling I get when I'm there. I like it a lot, it's just... hmm.. can't put my finger on it. Anyways, with that said, I'll be there in about a month or so to visit the girlfriend. Can't wait. The people we've encountered there have been mostly nice. There have only been a few exceptions. Can't complain too much.

I'm from good ole Austin, TX, by the way!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
The reason they don't smile in SF is because they don't live in Calaveras County.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,184 times
I think you're right in some ways. I grew up in L.A. but moved to San Francisco for law school in the mid-90s. I felt then it was a pretty friendly place BUT that could have just been me being warm and not realizing the real deal here. Well, years later after living abroad, living in NYC and just traveling a lot, I do feel that San Franciscans aren't the warmest bunch. I don't think they're unfriendly per se. It's more that they're insular and a bit awkward with strangers. Just for history, I moved back here for a couple of months in 2009, then left for NYC and moved back almost a year ago in 2011.

I noticed that when I came back. I'd go to networking or social events, and I have no issues going solo to these sorts of things as the point is you'll meet new people. That's worked for me in other spots, so why not? I went to a few events and people pretty much talk to people they know exclusively. I mean at a networking event the host will usually introduce you to a few people. Since I'm fine with talking to new people that works, but for purely social events it's odd. I was out with a girlfriend last night and she's from here and she noticed the same thing. It's not San Francisco bashing per se but I do think San Franciscans simply aren't the warmest bunch. I'll give New Yorkers this, at an event that's set up to meet new people folks will talk and you can come away with new friends and connections. I know this is true because I moved to NYC not knowing a soul and came away with not only friends but a business. Here it's been much harder to get back into things and I lived here before. There are some interesting dynamics here. However, other things make it worth it for me to live here again. The social skills of a lot of the people here isn't really one of them though.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 PM

121 posts, read 210,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I noticed I got stressed out right away when I drove into the city. The traffic was very intense, and finding affordable parking was not happening! I found relatively inexpensive parking, but it was a 15 minute walk from my destination.

And then I had a bunch of homeless and deranged people and panhandlers yelling at me, or someone else.

I was thinking 'man, what a pain!'
I'm sorry you had bad start. The negative energy simply proliferated downstream. It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I've visited SF about 5 times. Each time as I enter the city, I feel a sense of liberation from the diversity, laid back pace, and friendly people I come across (mostly strangers). I think because I have a positive attitude here, it helps me enjoy all that it has to offer.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 PM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
SF is a big city and has big city manners and behavior, or the lack of them. Typical of most other big cities globally.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:58 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
I've noticed that the people in the City are generally much more 'flat' than they were, say, in the 90s. I think part of it is the current work culture, which is fairly intense, as well as the cost of living pushing out the quirky element of the population (which I may not belong to myself but greatly appreciate). It's like everyone's a zombie. I also think technology is so pervasive here that people spend more time on their iPhones than they do talking to people. EVeryone's in their own little private sphere, and there are so many tech companies that it attracts boring, nerdy people who think they're really cool but sadly aren't. I am starting to see a thawing out of those trend though (for example, people aren't posting photos of their burritos on Facebook, or even using Facebook as often as a few years ago), so hopefully, that'll improve again. Another factor, IMHO, is that Gen Y is much more self-absorbed, annoying, and boring, than Gen X. The new crop of young adults often seems extrarordinarily uninteresting, and who could blame them as a product of the 90s and 2000s, which were culturally stagnant decades.

Those may be harsh words towards large segments of the population, but my point is that demographics are shifting as the population ages, and I think SF is, much like NYC, replacing it's unique culture with standardized, bland culture, and this translates to less friendliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland