Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
people spend more time on their iPhones than they do talking to people.
That's everywhere.

Hopefully 'Gen Z' rebels against the blandness of their predecessors. The City would be a likely location for this, except it's so damned expensive, it's hard to see this revitalization of soul happening there. Rich brats aren't very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 AM

66 posts, read 187,565 times
We tried to give SF/Marin County a try and lived there for two years. I even started a business in the FiDi and we couldn't wait to get out of there. The business environment is more or less anti-business and the people were about the same. Everyone seemed nice enough but we got the same feeling people did not smile. People were generally super hyper competitive and a "me" attitude. Your definitely not going to get the quaint good feelings of a small town living (which Marin County is one of the nicest communities from a distance and tries to stage itself as a "real community", the place is vacuous w /no real sense of happiness). It's beautiful but you feel guilty because you should be happy that you live in the most beautiful place in North America but it's an empty place. It is definitely a world class city to visit but not to raise a family and own a business we definitely wouldn't want to lay our roots there. The politics drove us crazy and the real estate was old and just not that nice - we lived in a $1.8M "shack". So, it's a great city to visit just not to live for long-term. We are happy we got out of a failing state, good luck to those that live there When they say the top money earners are leaving, it is true and there is a reason for it they just need to wake up. This post was not meant to bash anyone but I agree w/ the original poster, people just don't smile there

Old 09-03-2012, 03:47 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I've noticed that the people in the City are generally much more 'flat' than they were, say, in the 90s. I think part of it is the current work culture, which is fairly intense, as well as the cost of living pushing out the quirky element of the population (which I may not belong to myself but greatly appreciate). It's like everyone's a zombie. I also think technology is so pervasive here that people spend more time on their iPhones than they do talking to people. EVeryone's in their own little private sphere, and there are so many tech companies that it attracts boring, nerdy people who think they're really cool but sadly aren't. I am starting to see a thawing out of those trend though (for example, people aren't posting photos of their burritos on Facebook, or even using Facebook as often as a few years ago), so hopefully, that'll improve again. Another factor, IMHO, is that Gen Y is much more self-absorbed, annoying, and boring, than Gen X. The new crop of young adults often seems extrarordinarily uninteresting, and who could blame them as a product of the 90s and 2000s, which were culturally stagnant decades.

Those may be harsh words towards large segments of the population, but my point is that demographics are shifting as the population ages, and I think SF is, much like NYC, replacing it's unique culture with standardized, bland culture, and this translates to less friendliness.
Spot on post. Maybe the south american city's are where all the flavor is now, RIO, Buenos Aires, Caracas.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitychicago View Post
I even started a business in the FiDi and we couldn't wait to get out of there. The business environment is more or less anti-business and the people were about the same. Everyone seemed nice enough but we got the same feeling people did not smile. People were generally super hyper competitive and a "me" attitude. Your definitely not going to get the quaint good feelings of a small town living
That's because you were in the FiDi. Not really that different from downtown Chicago, is it?

Old 09-04-2012, 05:47 AM

66 posts, read 187,565 times
Yes exactly, which is why we are moving to Jupiter, Fl next year

Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,806,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post
I've visited SF about 5 times. Each time as I enter the city, I feel a sense of liberation from the diversity, laid back pace, and friendly people I come across (mostly strangers). I think because I have a positive attitude here, it helps me enjoy all that it has to offer.
I'm glad you have had great experiences, but I have to disagree.

I currently work in SF (in "the City" but on the outskirts) and visit the FiDi/Downtown area 1-2x weekly and experience the opposite. In no city have I been to elsewhere in the U.S. have such a collection of a-holes successfully been assembled in a tiny area such as what I've experienced in SF; the west side of L.A. might beat SF, but then again the westside is hardly the entire city. I've also experienced the 'tude in Sunset, Japantown, Mission, and elsewhere I've been throughout SF.

Sorry, but SF is anything but genuinely liberal, and I don't feel liberated from anything. When I travel out on the peninsula or the East Bay, that's when I feel liberated from that SF attitude. I like Oakland, San Jose, San Mateo, Redwood City, Orinda, Fremont, South City, etc. all better than SF. Maybe I'm just a suburbanite (although Oakland isn't exactly suburban).

Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM

121 posts, read 210,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm glad you have had great experiences, but I have to disagree.

I currently work in SF (in "the City" but on the outskirts) and visit the FiDi/Downtown area 1-2x weekly and experience the opposite. In no city have I been to elsewhere in the U.S. have such a collection of a-holes successfully been assembled in a tiny area such as what I've experienced in SF; the west side of L.A. might beat SF, but then again the westside is hardly the entire city. I've also experienced the 'tude in Sunset, Japantown, Mission, and elsewhere I've been throughout SF.
I haven't spent much time in FiDi, so can't comment on that. I can only speak on my experience, and what I've experienced pretty consistently is a lot of down to earth people that will go out of their way to help a stranger. And while I've experienced that from all walks of life here, I've particularly enjoyed my encounters with diverse lower working class (or even homeless) folks who show incredible innocence--I'm talking about child-like innocence, compassion, and energy (and occasionally offbeat)--that is so rare in the Midwestern white collar world I live in. I don't know if anyone else has had this experience here, but this lost innocence that is found here is one of the things I love about the Bay Area.

Last edited by jupiler; 09-05-2012 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 10:37 PM

33 posts, read 56,847 times
I take the bus every morning in Chinatown and every night in Nob Hill. I've never seen one person smile at another person. People cut in front of me to get on the bus every time, even when the bus is half full. I'm moving as soon as my lease expires, one reason being the people's attitude and unfriendliness.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

SF is anything but genuinely liberal
It is certainly becoming less so with the continuing deluge of $$$ people into it.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,681 times
We limousine liberals take great offense at this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland