Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 06:09 PM

206 posts, read 416,665 times

Advertisements

India, Costa Rica, Phillipines are all IT relocation centers too. From what I am told, India is also now home of many R&D centers of the big companies and there are now a lot of start ups too. I can't say from personal experience though-just what I have been told.

Last edited by smh1; 07-16-2010 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 PM

49 posts, read 116,898 times
Does anyone maintain a silicon valley business relocation list, like for orange county?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan596821 View Post
Hsv, many good points hsv, but I've already been with one small business that made a decent amount of money. Don't want to have to spend all the money on a house. If my startup fails, I want to have enough money leftover to try to start another one. Don't want to live in a community where it takes 200k/yr and many years for down payment to afford a good house.

I would consider moving to a silicon valley commuter city to start my business. Which cities can you get a modern 5 bedroom house for 300-500k w/ good public schools?
You won't find any modern 5 BR houses in good school districts for less than $1M around Silicon Valley. For example, a quick search at Redfin in Palo Alto does not show any 5 BR homes on the market built in the last 20 years for less than $2M.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:24 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Is finding a 5br home under 500K really that important? If so I think you are going to find a lot of trade offs in finding that home. Remember, every location has it's own set of pros/cons. And the cheaper the house the more things you may not like in other areas. On the other hand if you could settle for lets say a 3-4br home in that range your options open up.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Is finding a 5br home under 500K really that important?
That's just the type of community I want to live in. Where a decent % of people can afford a good home. Don't want all the other bad things about those super expensive cities, like traffic, pollution, quality of life, attitude, etc.

Do people commute to silicon valley from livermore, tracy, modesto, and stockton? Obviously, I wouldn't have to commute. Just want a worker pool I can recruit from.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
That's just the type of community I want to live in. Where a decent % of people can afford a good home. Don't want all the other bad things about those super expensive cities, like traffic, pollution, quality of life, attitude, etc.

Do people commute to silicon valley from livermore, tracy, modesto, and stockton? Obviously, I wouldn't have to commute. Just want a worker pool I can recruit from.
Yes, they certainly do, and I'm surprised that more people haven't gone that route.. there is the Lawrence Livermore Labs, and KLA-Tencor has an office in Livermore as well..

Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 AM

How are the public schools out there? Is there a dropoff from livermore to tracy? Is there another dropoff from tracy to stockton / modesto? Any other similar commuter cities?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 AM

Fear of 'resegregation' fuels unrest in Raleigh, N.C. - U.S. news - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38298803/ns/us_news/ - broken link)
Whooh! Trouble for research triangle.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
How are the public schools out there? Is there a dropoff from livermore to tracy? Is there another dropoff from tracy to stockton / modesto? Any other similar commuter cities?
I think of the Central Valley towns, Modesto supposedly has pretty good schools, but it varies widely within the city. Most of the 99 corridor is pretty miserable.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:04 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
California business relocation list
The Business Relocation Coach: Updated Again: California's Hostile Business Climate -- 129 'Business Disinvestments' (http://thebusinessrelocationcoach.blogspot.com/2010/05/updated-again-californias-hostile.html - broken link)

The Orange County Register likes to report on all the companies leaving california.
Why Calif. firms move to Colorado Springs - Jan Norman on Small Business : The Orange County Register
Here are the places I've moved jobs to or created new jobs the past few years, in no particular order:
Portland OR and its burbs
Telford England UK
Houston TX
Research Triangle NC
Bradford AL
Shun De, Guangdong, PRC
Guadalajara, MX
Monterrey MX
Kladno CR
Warsaw PL
Columbus OH
Samut Prakarn, TL
Laem Chabang TL
Santo Domingo DR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose