Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 29,365 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how feasible it would be to live without a car in San Jose. I will be working in Mountain View and was thinking about taking the caltrain to work. What areas would be best for this (was looking for an apartment or room), and is San Jose a pedestrian friendly city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advice_needed View Post
I was wondering how feasible it would be to live without a car in San Jose. I will be working in Mountain View and was thinking about taking the caltrain to work. What areas would be best for this (was looking for an apartment or room), and is San Jose a pedestrian friendly city?
San Jose has a fairly dense downtown core surrounded by suburban sprawl. There are things to do in the downtown area - restaurants, clubs, sporting events at HP Pavillion, museums, etc. There is a light rail systen around the downtown area to the Caltrain station and elsewhere including neighboring towns including Mountain View. http://www.vta.org/schedules/lr_inte.../lrBusMap.html

BTW, I see you wanted to live in SF. The weather in SF is usually cool from the fog and wind. San Jose is much warmer and sunny most of the time.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 29,365 times
Is the downtown area close to the caltrain station or near could I use the light rail to reach it, and where would you recommend to live in the area?

Also I am still trying to decide if I wanna live in SF and commute down to Mountain View or go from San Jose.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:23 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Is the downtown area close to the caltrain station or near could I use the light rail to reach it, and where would you recommend to live in the area?

Also I am still trying to decide if I wanna live in SF and commute down to Mountain View or go from San Jose.
The Caltrain station is close to the downtown area (within walking distance - but not the best area to walk through) and next to the HP Pavillion (Sharks hockey team). Light rail runs from the caltrain station into downtown (around W. Santa Clara St and N. Market St.). San Jose State University is nearby the downtown area. I can't recommend apartments in the downtown area. I'm not that familiar with the apartment situation there.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Default Caveat about going carless

Do keep in mind even though you may be able to go back and forth on public transit between work and home, for a lot of other trips - such as shopping, recreation, entertainment - you may still need a car.

Unfortunately the greater San Jose area and much of the SF Bay Area (except for built-up urban areas of San Francisco and Oakland) is pretty much dispersed and built to the needs of the automobile.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
The Caltrain station is close to the downtown area (within walking distance - but not the best area to walk through) and next to the HP Pavillion (Sharks hockey team).
Nothing wrong with that area in terms of safety. The Alameda/Santa Clara St. are increasingly going upscale.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
I don't know. You can do the commuting via Caltrain easily, but doing other things like grocery shopping would be a bigger hassle. I personally wouldn't want to live in this area without a car.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
I live and work in downtown San Jose and walk to work every day. I can get all the basic service right downtown. But I still keep my car to visit friends who live in San Jose's surubran sprawl as well as throughout the Bay Area.

If it were me I'd live near my job in Mountain View. I firmly believe one of the keys to a happy life is a short or non-existent commute.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
If it were me I'd live near my job in Mountain View. I firmly believe one of the keys to a happy life is a short or non-existent commute.
For the average Silicon Valley engineer that would mean you need to move every 2 years.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:38 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
For the average Silicon Valley engineer that would mean you need to move every 2 years.
Yeah, that is the problem with auto-dependent sprawl. But I think it's best to get as close to that ideal as is feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose