Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:55 AM

677 posts, read 835,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
My prediction : everyone will ***** about this for a few weeks, then eventually get used to bringing bags with them or paying a few extra cents for a paper bag. In a month, you won't even remember that they used to give you plastic bags.

End result, significantly fewer plastic bags being used. Paying for paper will make you stop and think if you really need a bag, so fewer paper bags will be consumed. Everyone wins.
Um...do the manufacturers who make the plastic bags and the manufactures who make the paper bags win? Don't you think they also have kids to feed and send to college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Um...do the manufacturers who make the plastic bags and the manufactures who make the paper bags win? Don't you think they also have kids to feed and send to college?
This whole thing is a farce. Assuming that North American plastics are the major contributor to the great plastic patch (they are not) even that plastic patch is now appearing to be mostly benign if not an outright boon to Invertebrate life. As it turns out recent studies have shown that each of the little bits of plastic floating out there serves as a substrate. No surprise. That's how it works in the magnificent seas.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:02 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
I saw a medical report on the news a few days ago, that they have traced down a big problem with re-usable shopping bags. They have found, that they are a big cause of bacterial infections to people and put a lot of people into the hospital. They have found they are only safe, if they are ran through the washing machine after every use.

A lot of medical people think they should be banned.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Arrrr ... flotsam and jetsam ... arrrrrr ... shiver me timbers!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I saw a medical report on the news a few days ago, that they have traced down a big problem with re-usable shopping bags. They have found, that they are a big cause of bacterial infections to people and put a lot of people into the hospital. They have found they are only safe, if they are ran through the washing machine after every use.

A lot of medical people think they should be banned.
Really? I went looking for this information on-line and found only one report about about a girls soccer team in Oregon who ate cookies stored in a bag that some other girl had puked in. I do see where regular washing makes sense and is recommended, but I would also like to see your reference that medical professional say they should be banned. Sounds like an exaggeration to me.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:08 PM

The story on problems with reusable bags was on health news on one of he t.v. news reports and was take from one of the major medical journals. Tiny almost invisible particles of food, etc., get into the bags and spoil it was reported. It said the only safe way to use reusable bags, would be to wash them and then dry them in a dryer to sanitize them after every use. Same as with dishes, etc., that are used for food, and your hands. The report said, the medical world says wash your hands before eating or preparing food, make sure you use clean dishes and utensils, and also if you want to use reusable bags, to treat them with the same care you use for food and your hands when around food.

When you think about it, it only makes common sense.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
There is a lot of information on the internet about the health dangers of reusable bags. Here are 3 links. I could easily post a lot more.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi...f/htfs0910.pdf

http://uanews.org/pdfs/GerbaWilliams...tamination.pdf

http://intrabecc.cocef.org/programs/...healthrisk.pdf

Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 PM

180 posts, read 475,325 times
What is with this notion here in this country that we are ENTITLED to things. Every time a city does something to improve the quality of life whether it be, new bike lanes, no plastic bags, reduced emmissions, people always moan and groan about it. It's as simple as spending 10 dollars to buy 10 reusable cloth bags. You spend 10 dollars on cigarettes that's slowly killing you anyway. Trust me the bags aren't gonna hurt you to buy them. Just remember to bring them with you. If you forget, guess what, you can buy one for 10 measly cent. If you cant afford a couple ten cent bags, I think it's time to get a second, maybe third job.

*Phew* I had to get that off my chest. I feel liberated now lol.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
What is with this notion here in this country that we are ENTITLED to things. Every time a city does something to improve the quality of life whether it be, new bike lanes, no plastic bags, reduced emmissions, people always moan and groan about it. It's as simple as spending 10 dollars to buy 10 reusable cloth bags. You spend 10 dollars on cigarettes that's slowly killing you anyway. Trust me the bags aren't gonna hurt you to buy them. Just remember to bring them with you. If you forget, guess what, you can buy one for 10 measly cent. If you cant afford a couple ten cent bags, I think it's time to get a second, maybe third job.
Much duplication of the species bratticus spoilticus.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
It's as simple as spending 10 dollars to buy 10 reusable cloth bags. You spend 10 dollars on cigarettes that's slowly killing you anyway. Trust me the bags aren't gonna hurt you to buy them.
That remark, is what so many people that do not understand what the medical world is telling us seem to think. That is why reusable shopping bags are so dangerous.

No it is not going to hurt us to buy them, but every time we use them without THOROUGHLY WASHING AND DRYING THEM, we are risking our families and our own health and possibly even lives.

It is kind of like playing Russian Roulette. That is where some people get together and play a game. They take the ammunition out of a revolver. They place one bullet in one of the chambers of the cylinder. They spin the cylinder, and place the pistol to their head and pull the trigger then pass it to the next person to do the same. If you are lucky, you fire on an empty cylinder. If not you are dead.

Every time one spins the cylinder, you only have one chance in 6 you will kill yourself. The cylinder may be spun and no one hurt for 1,000 spins and firings. On the other hand, if it is spun 1,000 times and fired at a persons head after each spin, there may be 1,000 dead game players.

Playing Russian Roulette is stupid and potentially deadly. So is using unwashed reusable grocery shopping bags.

Last edited by oldtrader; 05-15-2012 at 11:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose