U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM
 
Location: In them thar hills
7,575 posts, read 8,269,874 times
Reputation: 3634
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
It depends where you are and what you define as "better." Coastal weather in the Mediterranean is much warmer in the summer, but it's about the same in the winter, and just as rainy. Inland weather is actually sunnier and hotter out here. In fact, Redding, CA, near the OR border, has the hottest climate of any city in the world at a latitude of 40 degrees or more from the equator. Looking at some examples, the average high temp in Barcelona for the year is 68 degrees (cooler even than San Jose or Walnut Creek), while Redding's is 76 degrees. Barcelona averages 149 hours of sunshine in January, while Redding averages 226. Barcelona averages 310 of sunshine in July, while Redding averages 451. Even Jerusalem gets less heat and sun than Redding. So it's all a matter of microclimates, and what you like in terms of weather. If you're talking strictly summer beachgoing, then the Mediterranean wins hands-down. If you like hot, sunny weather, then California wins.
I was specifically alluding to the fact that other than oddities such as Redding, at the same latitude as Mediterranean Europe the typical West Coast US climate is typically Marine West Coast.

But the real thing I was implying was that the Native Mediterranean cultures of Europe experience a worse winter sun angle than we do here in the Bay Area, so the lower-SAD connection with Mediterranean cultures may be related to food not sun angle itself.
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,093 times
Reputation: 15
Default San Jose would be your best shot!

Having lived in and worked in all areas of the Bay Area I would suggest San Jose, CA. San Jose, like most of the Bay Area, has a Subtropical Mediterranean climate.[28] San Jose has 300+ days of sunshine and an average daily high temperature of 73 F (23 C) annually. Although San Jose lies inland and does not front the Pacific Ocean like San Francisco, it is surrounded on three sides by mountains. Because of this, the city is somewhat more sheltered from rain, giving it a semiarid feel with a mean annual rainfall of 14.4 inches (366 mm), compared to some other parts of the Bay Area, which can get about three times that amount.

Monthly Averages from the Weather Channel:

Jan 58F 39F 49F 4.94 in.
Feb 62F 41F 52F 5.06 in.
Mar 66F 43F 55F 3.63 in.
Apr 70F 45F 58F 1.40 in.
May 76F 49F 63F 0.54 in.
Jun 81F 52F 67F 0.10 in.
Jul 85F 55F 70F 0.00 in.
Aug 84F 55F 70F 0.03 in.
Sep 82F 53F 68F 0.18 in.
Oct 75F 49F 62F 1.01 in.
Nov 64F 43F 54F 2.37 in.
Dec 57F 39F 48F 4.01 in.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM
 
Location: In them thar hills
7,575 posts, read 8,269,874 times
Reputation: 3634
Quote:
Originally Posted by smgmcse View Post
Having lived in and worked in all areas of the Bay Area I would suggest San Jose, CA. San Jose, like most of the Bay Area, has a Subtropical Mediterranean climate.[28] San Jose has 300+ days of sunshine and an average daily high temperature of 73 F (23 C) annually. Although San Jose lies inland and does not front the Pacific Ocean like San Francisco, it is surrounded on three sides by mountains. Because of this, the city is somewhat more sheltered from rain, giving it a semiarid feel with a mean annual rainfall of 14.4 inches (366 mm), compared to some other parts of the Bay Area, which can get about three times that amount.

Monthly Averages from the Weather Channel:

Jan 58F 39F 49F 4.94 in.
Feb 62F 41F 52F 5.06 in.
Mar 66F 43F 55F 3.63 in.
Apr 70F 45F 58F 1.40 in.
May 76F 49F 63F 0.54 in.
Jun 81F 52F 67F 0.10 in.
Jul 85F 55F 70F 0.00 in.
Aug 84F 55F 70F 0.03 in.
Sep 82F 53F 68F 0.18 in.
Oct 75F 49F 62F 1.01 in.
Nov 64F 43F 54F 2.37 in.
Dec 57F 39F 48F 4.01 in.
But the mountains make for a later sunrise and earlier sunset. Especially down in Almaden. Everything is a trade off.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM
 
12,615 posts, read 9,523,322 times
Reputation: 8407
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I'm not surprised by this. My family is originally from Europe, and I lived there as a kid for a few years. Cloudy all the time. A week of sunny weather had people talking about drought, any time of the year. The Mediterranean is better, but still cloudier than California.
Yep, that's what I learned, too...although parts of the Mediterranean are competitive with CA in terms of sunshine, especially the Eastern Mediterranean & N. Africa.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-15-2012, 08:02 PM
 
12,615 posts, read 9,523,322 times
Reputation: 8407
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
It depends where you are and what you define as "better." Coastal weather in the Mediterranean is much warmer in the summer, but it's about the same in the winter, and just as rainy. Inland weather is actually sunnier and hotter out here. In fact, Redding, CA, near the OR border, has the hottest climate of any city in the world at a latitude of 40 degrees or more from the equator. Looking at some examples, the average high temp in Barcelona for the year is 68 degrees (cooler even than San Jose or Walnut Creek), while Redding's is 76 degrees. Barcelona averages 149 hours of sunshine in January, while Redding averages 226. Barcelona averages 310 of sunshine in July, while Redding averages 451. Even Jerusalem gets less heat and sun than Redding. So it's all a matter of microclimates, and what you like in terms of weather. If you're talking strictly summer beachgoing, then the Mediterranean wins hands-down. If you like hot, sunny weather, then California wins.
Can you tell me where you got those weather stats? I would love to have them. I am a weather junkie!
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:22 AM
 
1,305 posts, read 1,462,192 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I was specifically alluding to the fact that other than oddities such as Redding, at the same latitude as Mediterranean Europe the typical West Coast US climate is typically Marine West Coast.

But the real thing I was implying was that the Native Mediterranean cultures of Europe experience a worse winter sun angle than we do here in the Bay Area, so the lower-SAD connection with Mediterranean cultures may be related to food not sun angle itself.
Yes, good point, and one I also alluded to in an earlier response about the diet and culture being a significant factor. The Mediterranean basin is farther north than the Bay Area and does get even less daylight and a lower sun angle. I think lifestyle is more important than anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:15 PM
 
1,615 posts, read 492,587 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by fair weather cumulus View Post
Hi,

I suffered from a bad case of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) for 5 years when I lived in the northeast and midwest - basically unable to function from Oct to March. It's a seasonal depression that is brought on by reduced exposure to sunlight and cold temperatures. Since then, I've lived in AZ and southern CA and have not had problems. We're considering either moving to the Bay Area of California or to Raleigh NC for our work. Do any of you live in these areas and have SAD? How hard is it to live with SAD in these places?
How grey and cold are these areas?

Thanks!
Not very, we have over 300 days of sun, only 13 inches of rain a year, and it's 70 degrees right now...
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:34 AM
 
1,305 posts, read 1,462,192 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Can you tell me where you got those weather stats? I would love to have them. I am a weather junkie!
Hey, I got these ones off of Wikipedia actually. But I've also seen Redding in many rankings of America's sunniest cities as having one of the highest average probabilities of sunshine in the country, even though there are a fair number of rainy days in the winter rainy season, even compared to the Bay Area. But outside of those actual rainy days, it seems pretty much all of the other days are sunny, and that ranks Redding right up there with desert cities in terms of sunshine. Except the desert cities don't get nearly as much rain; but they still get cloudy days without rain, so the total sunshine amounts are quite comparable.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-23-2012, 04:23 PM
 
12,615 posts, read 9,523,322 times
Reputation: 8407
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Hey, I got these ones off of Wikipedia actually. But I've also seen Redding in many rankings of America's sunniest cities as having one of the highest average probabilities of sunshine in the country, even though there are a fair number of rainy days in the winter rainy season, even compared to the Bay Area. But outside of those actual rainy days, it seems pretty much all of the other days are sunny, and that ranks Redding right up there with desert cities in terms of sunshine. Except the desert cities don't get nearly as much rain; but they still get cloudy days without rain, so the total sunshine amounts are quite comparable.
I've also seen the stats on Redding. The problem is that it's only based on 10 years' worth of data.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-23-2012, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
2,090 posts, read 1,048,622 times
Reputation: 1839
In just over one year in San Francisco, I have had approximately seven days without some sun and blue skies. Total. Anyone who suffers from SAD here either is a hermit, or they don't know how to walk for 15 minutes in any direction.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top