Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 01:22 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Yeah exactly. That comment made me wonder if he's even been to San Jose. Then he cites Una Mas, a standardized chain American-Mexican restaurant, as what San Jose with its large Mexican population should have more of.

The thing is, I really don't think he's trolling. It just seems that he ignores restaurants and stores that aren't franchises or national chains. In which case Phoenix probably is a better place for him than San Jose.

I don't think he's been to San Jose in a loooooong time. And blowing through on 880 or 101 doesn't count.

But if we are demanding that SJ resemble Peoria, maybe a visit to the gigantic WalMart that's been on Keyes for years would assuage the anxiety over the "not enough amenities for blah blah blah" pains. Just don't cast your eyes eastward, cuz you'll get an eyeful of Little Saigon and, a little further, King/Story (loosely referred to as Little Mexico), places that feature many mom-and-pop resturants that actually serve food that real people cook for real people who go out for good, local, tasty homemade food, not Mc****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
There are a good amount of Subway's, yes. But I don't feel like I see enough national chains for what you'd expect given the population. As far as good local spots, same deal. Pickup a phone book in San Jose and one in other big cities and I betcha the other place will have more choices most likely.
You can drive on 880/17 South near the airport and most of those exits have few places right off the highway. Hamilton Ave. has some but for driving through basically the heart of San Jose from the Milpitas border to Campbell is very under-served as far as amenities. Is there "stuff" sure there is, but you have to seek it out moreso then it being on your path. Now that might sound lazy; but things could be more convenient.
Sounds like someone hasn't found Blossom Hill Road.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
There are a good amount of Subway's, yes. But I don't feel like I see enough national chains for what you'd expect given the population. As far as good local spots, same deal. Pickup a phone book in San Jose and one in other big cities and I betcha the other place will have more choices most likely.
You can drive on 880/17 South near the airport and most of those exits have few places right off the highway. Hamilton Ave. has some but for driving through basically the heart of San Jose from the Milpitas border to Campbell is very under-served as far as amenities. Is there "stuff" sure there is, but you have to seek it out moreso then it being on your path. Now that might sound lazy; but things could be more convenient.

San Jose is not a good restaurant city at all. Nor is it a "food town" like Reno. How can it be a great restaurant city when there's so few restaurants? LOL. Almaden Expwy near Costco has a good amount but I haven't seen a high concentration elsewhere. Also I don't see enough Mexican places given how the large Hispanic population. I love Una Mas and think there should be more places like that in San Jose.

There's a decent amount of Targets, but we only had one Wal-Mart (to my knowledge) until they put one in near Best Buy on Almaden Expwy. One frigging Wal-Mart for a city with nearly 1 million people. Finally got a "Walmart Neighborhood Market" (cheap food and good service btw highly recommended) but that too forever. Safeway has too much of a monopoly on the supermarkets. Lunardi's is overpriced, I like Nob Hill though. I don't think there's enough Malls and upscale outdoor shopping centers and strip malls. Not enough big stores like "Sports Authority" and others.

Does seem like SJ gets a lot of concerts and what not; that's good. I don't see hope for dtown San Jose ever being a destination unless they make some big "splash" from the sky.

One easy way to make San Jose better:

1) The city government etc. needs to be more pro-business and allow more amenities to be built. Shopping centers etc. I have a feeling they don't make it easy and combined with the high costs in CA it's no wonder we're under-served.

*Even if more stuff is built; you'll still be a city with a workaholic nature whom many (no offense) of the employees tend to be less social and engaged in the community. And the financial pressures mean people are moving 100mph and don't have enough time to enjoy life. So although San Jose is in a nice location with good weather etc.; the "Silicon Valley" may never be an interesting area because of the jobs here and the outrageous COL.

So yeah San Jose could be doing better by having more choices. I don't know if that's anyone's "fault" other then the high costs and various regulations making it difficult for more things to be built. Probably a combination of both. I just know that San Jose could easily support more things; people do have money there after all.
All I can say is that you must be blind as a bat. Not many Mexican restaurants? You have to be joking. There are many excellent Mexican restaurants in the metro San Jose area, especially family owned ones. My wife and I owned a Mexican restaurant in San Jose.

Just admit that you don't like San Jose and let it go at that.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah exactly. That comment made me wonder if he's even been to San Jose. Then he cites Una Mas, a standardized chain American-Mexican restaurant, as what San Jose with its large Mexican population should have more of.

The thing is, I really don't think he's trolling. It just seems that he ignores restaurants and stores that aren't franchises or national chains. In which case Phoenix probably is a better place for him than San Jose.
When somebody talks about not enough Mexican restaurants like Una Mas, then it is obvious they don't have a clue about Mexican food.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
I don't think he's been to San Jose in a loooooong time. And blowing through on 880 or 101 doesn't count.

But if we are demanding that SJ resemble Peoria, maybe a visit to the gigantic WalMart that's been on Keyes for years would assuage the anxiety over the "not enough amenities for blah blah blah" pains. Just don't cast your eyes eastward, cuz you'll get an eyeful of Little Saigon and, a little further, King/Story (loosely referred to as Little Mexico), places that feature many mom-and-pop resturants that actually serve food that real people cook for real people who go out for good, local, tasty homemade food, not Mc****.
Actually there are a lot of family owned Mexican restaurants spread throughout San Jose as well as Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, etc.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Actually there are a lot of family owned Mexican restaurants spread throughout San Jose as well as Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, etc.
Yep. We're not flocking to Chile's for tacos out here.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 PM

345 posts, read 1,031,082 times
Quote:
This one I'm not letting you get away with as it's not correct by any standard. Maybe it doesn't have a large amount of the types of restaurants you like, but just speaking about restaurants San Jose is in the top ten per capita.

Eating Towns, Drinking Towns | Trulia Trends

Here's a good starting point for 1,470 Mexican restaurants:

Mexican restaurants San Jose, CA
San Jose has among the most restaurants? I find that hard to believe. Unless there's a ton of restaurants on the Eastside or Southside that I dunno about as I don't go there.

Dallas and Houston are considered the restaurants mecca's I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
All I can say is that you must be blind as a bat. Not many Mexican restaurants? You have to be joking. There are many excellent Mexican restaurants in the metro San Jose area, especially family owned ones. My wife and I owned a Mexican restaurant in San Jose.

Just admit that you don't like San Jose and let it go at that.
I don't see many in West San Jose, Blossom Hill/Almaden Expwy/Santa Teresa. Downtown has some, but I think it's been established that most people don't frequent downtown.

So in my routine (which covers a decent amount of desirable areas) Mexican food is a bit under-served imo. They're there, sure, but I just expect more choices. Here in phx (Tucson too) they have decent and cheap local places that are open 24 hours. Forget the name they give them here. I don't see anything like that in San Jose. Restaurant wise, no place notable comes off the top of my head that's within the city limits. I'll probably get flamed for that statement, just can't think of any. Chevy's? Is there even a mexican food institution in San Jose? Pedro's in Los Gatos is pretty good and Mondo Burrito (quick, casual) is tasty in Santa Clara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post

Lived in the area not long ago. Grew up there, left the area for college, came back, and now over in phx.

I didn't live near eastside. The 880/17 corridor, Almaden/Santa Teresa and West San Jose are really where I'm focusing my attention. I'm sure Eastside has some good eats but it's not an area I need to spend any time nor is it close. I doubt many of you guys go over there either.

Last edited by Billy Millennium; 02-15-2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
I don't see many in West San Jose, Blossom Hill/Almaden Expwy/Santa Teresa. Downtown has some, but I think it's been established that most people don't frequent downtown.

So in my routine (which covers a decent amount of desirable areas) Mexican food is a bit under-served imo. They're there, sure, but I just expect more choices. Here in phx (Tucson too) they have decent and cheap local places that are open 24 hours. Forget the name they give them here. I don't see anything like that in San Jose. Restaurant wise, no place notable comes off the top of my head that's within the city limits. I'll probably get flamed for that statement, just can't think of any. Chevy's? Is there even a mexican food institution in San Jose? Pedro's in Los Gatos is pretty good and Mondo Burrito (quick, casual) is tasty in Santa Clara
I'd mention my favorite, but I don't want it to get any busier or I won't be able to eat there anymore. Suffice it to say, the best taquerias are usually connected to meat markets. The chains are bad bad bad.

Quote:
I didn't live near eastside. The 880/17 corridor, Almaden/Santa Teresa and West San Jose are really where I'm focusing my attention. I'm sure Eastside has some good eats but it's not an area I need to spend any time nor is it close. I doubt many of you guys go over there either.
I defy you to find a better breakfast than the Holder's Country Inn over by the Blossom Hill Caltrain station; I have never found such a thing. Or better pizza than A Slice of New York on Stevens Creek. Or better hummus than Falafel's Drive-In. (The only place where it tastes like they make it in Israel!) All of these are within the narrowly defined areas you've chosen.

This is to say nothing of the many fine restaurants on Lincoln or on West San Carlos St - which I rate as the two best streets for interesting culinary experiences in the entire county.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
San Jose has among the most restaurants? I find that hard to believe. Unless there's a ton of restaurants on the Eastside or Southside that I dunno about as I don't go there. ...

Dude, you're going to tell the world San Jose doesn't have enough restaurants, and in the next breath, you admit to excluding over half of the town because you don't go there? A bit specious, no?

Oh, and I manage a community-based day program with a lot of staff and participants, five days a week. Know what program?
East San Jose Integrated Employment. So, yes, we do go there, without fear or indignation towards the area's residents. We can tell you that a place with 350,000 Hispanic people has more than it's fair share of food offerings from Central and South American locales, not to mention a concentration of about 30,000 Vietnamese and the fare they bring. That's just the tip of the diversity iceberg in ESJ. Might want to bravely venture out of whitey-whiteville and discover what else the town offers, then give us the update on the lack of everything SJ offers.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Yep, so true. The tech dweebs are also the reason for a lack of amenities imo. This goes beyond the costs of doing business. A lot of whom are very frugal too, especially some of the foreigners. A male oriented business; hence the MAN Jose nickname I've heard here. I appreciate the fact that these people are educated and successful but too much of one group is not good. These guys are also (imo) the reason why women here have no trouble getting guys. They don't need to try or even look good, never seen anything like it elsewhere. Cause a lot of these dudes aren't picky looks wise or can't afford to be plus the surplus of single men. Women really have all the leverage here and it's due largely to the tech industry.
Believe me, I know it. It isn't even that much better for gay men. Lots of men from other countries who are repressed gays...then you add in the tech geek factor...and not a great scene all around.

I can't complain too much, though. I'm not an engineer, but I'm the INTJ personality type, just like most engineers (Myers-Briggs personality test). And one thing I do like about engineers is they're frugal. In that respect, I wish the rest of America was more like engineers.

It's not that tech geeks are bad. It's more that the area is unbalanced and there aren't any signs that SV will ever diversify away from being a one industry metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose