Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:44 AM

12 posts, read 62,768 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am 21 years old and a recent college grad. I will be moving to the Silicon valley this summer in order to work for a tech company.

I don't know anything about the area and have been reading mixed reviews. What is the safest area in San Jose? How does the whole city thing work--I've been hearing a lot about Sunnyvale, Milipitas etc...are those cities within San Jose?

Also, can anyone recommend an apartment complex? I've heard a lot about Northpark however now I am very skeptical after reading several reviews online.

Could anyone recommend a safe city to live in and a good apartment complex within the city. I can pay up to $1700 for rent--I just want to make sure the place is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,166 times
Hi! I think that for $1700, you should definitely be able to find a nice one-bedroom apartment in a safe neighborhood. Depending on where you'll be commuting, I would probably recommend staying in the city of San Jose itself. Since San Jose is quite large, you'll have more options in places to live. There are some sketchy areas, but for the most part San Jose is a very safe city. You really need to actually come visit and drive around different neighborhoods to see what you like. Typically, the East Side of San Jose is considered to be the not-so-great part of town. There are still nice pockets though, especially as you head closer to the hills. I would avoid most stretches of neighborhoods along Monterey Rd. or Capitol Expwy.

Renting in some of the surrounding cities will probably not get you as much for your money. Sunnyvale and Milpitas are both separate cities within the San Jose area (Santa Clara county). Milpitas mostly has single family homes and not many apartment complexes and Sunnyvale tends to have higher rent than San Jose.
As far as specific apartment recommendations go, hopefully somebody else can chime in. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times
On that kind of a budget, I'd try to be closer to the jobs. The neighborhoods that are close to the big tech companies are all fairly nice. Traffic is problematic in San Jose. If you live just north of town in Santa Clara that wouldn't be so bad. There are a number of large tech companies in Sunnyvale, Mountain View and Palo Alto as well. If you need a little fun along with your safety, look into Mountain View in particular.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:33 PM

Default Cisco

I will actually be working at Cisco Systems. Does anyone know a good apartment complex around there?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:48 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
Most places in the area are extremely safe. A better way to approach it is to look for places and rule out the ones that might not be safe enough for you.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
The safest? That would have to be the little smidge that's west of Sunnyvale - Saratoga Rd. It's effectively part of Saratoga and at the edge of the western foothills.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine01 View Post
I will actually be working at Cisco Systems. Does anyone know a good apartment complex around there?
Rivermark.. you don't want to live too close to Cisco because the dump at 237/Zanker stinks to high heaven.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:05 PM

45 posts, read 283,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Rivermark.. you don't want to live too close to Cisco because the dump at 237/Zanker stinks to high heaven.
Yeah - Rivermark would be perfect

I actually lived near the Elan apartments which is a hop skip and jump from Rivermark about seven years ago which is another option - it's far enough away from the dump that you'd never smell it. Probably slightly cheaper than Rivermark.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,865 times
I lived in the Rivermark area for seven years. It's pretty safe and close to where you will be working.

As for the apartment complex, the place where I lived (Estancia Apartments) was really nice when I first moved there in 2001 - new construction (I was the first tenant in my unit), large (790 sq ft 1BR), well-maintained grounds, professional staff. However, after Archstone bought the complex from the small company managing it, things started to go downhill: quality and speed of service dropped precipitously, rents went up significantly, and the grounds went to pot.

You might check out Bella Vista, which is located on Lick Mill Drive. I believe that they did some renovations to their units in the recent past. The Carlyle might be another option, though they might be outside of your price range. There is some new construction down by the Rivermark center, but I really don't know much about them at all.

With regards to the dumps, you won't smell anything at all in the Rivermark area. You will, however, have to deal with airplane noise from Mineta, so if you are sensitive to that (which I am not), then that might not be the ideal location for you.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:01 AM

Thank you all so much for this information..I really appreciate it!

Have any of you heard of NorthPark apartments? Any comments on that? Is the garbage dump near there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose