Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:14 AM

473 posts, read 1,168,302 times

Advertisements

Yes Gypsy I mean direct from where we are. It's too bad but the drive from either TPA or RSW is not bad anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
I love SWFL too! Glad you decided to pop in and join us! It looks like you really have thought out all the things that make SWFL really an awesome place to live!

Old 08-01-2010, 02:10 PM

33 posts, read 58,049 times
Hi Tonilee,
Welcome to the board - and that welcome is from a newbie too! - but everybody welcomed me too

All the reasons you mentioned for wanting to move sound like our reasons. I say sound like it because it is almost funny to admit - but we haven't been down to the west coast of Florida yet! But, I too have read so many different boards on city-data forum and after reading for a long time would start to figure out the downsides that I knew wouldn't work for us in whatever location I was reading about. For a long time we thought the southwest would fit us very well. We visited different places in Arizona a number of times and then rented in Tucson for a bit - we found out it wasn't for us.
We still perk up our ears about Portland OR and Portland ME but the weather in both those places leaves us - well, cold !! California always sounds like the best place in many ways and the worst in other ways.

Like you Florida was off our list. We thought we were done with the east coast - and would be even more so at the time we can retire - but recently we realized that looking into the Sarasota area was giving us lots of positives.
I was wondering if you or any of the other helpful people here could tell me more about the healthcare in the area. It sounded like you have specifics that led you to such a good conclusion.

The description of the kind of area you are looking for is almost word for word like ours! I only wish I could do as everybody here says I/we/you should - and that is to join them as soon as possible!
p.s. this message was interrupted for an hour due to another power outage in Maryland/DC area!!!

Old 08-01-2010, 02:24 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Health care options in the area are fantastic - and Sarasota has plenty of alternative medicine, too if that's your bag. I don't think you will be disappointed with the vast choices of superior medical care here.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 15,570 times
New to this board, thanks for any info

Been down to the Sarasota area for the last 6 weeks looking at real estate and schools. New construction gives u alot for the money and we have been looking in the Lakewood Ranch area. Looking for some feedback on moving to Sarasota and raising a family. (7 year old daughter).

Old 08-03-2010, 04:08 PM

879 posts, read 1,954,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator1267 View Post
New to this board, thanks for any info

Been down to the Sarasota area for the last 6 weeks looking at real estate and schools. New construction gives u alot for the money and we have been looking in the Lakewood Ranch area. Looking for some feedback on moving to Sarasota and raising a family. (7 year old daughter).

just moved here last week with 7 y.o. daughter and 9 y.o. son. only have Long Island to compare too but so far seems like it will be ok. eager for school to start so they can meet some kids.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:49 AM

96 posts, read 314,623 times
Hi Everyone and thanks so much for ALL the wonderful replies! I did not receive post updates to this thread even though I had subscribed to do so. Just got a "courtesy reminder" from City Data that there were new replies to my original post! THANK YOU!

People in FLorida are wonderful, they really are...just look at the responses to most of the Florida posts! My husband and I just got back from Cancun on Saturday (we've been to Mexico a lot...husband loves the Caribbean waters...I do too...and we both love the Mexican people and culture...so warm and friendly). Anyhow, we are both convinced that the sun, swimming, warm weather, salt water, outdoor activity, blue skies and all the rest one gets with a warmer climate definitely makes for happier, more-outgoing and friendlier people.

Thanks for all the tips about housing and neighborhoods. One thing we did in Mexico was pick up a few more resort weeks (like 100-YIKES), so we can perhaps "bundle" them in the future and stay at resorts in the SWF or Sarasota area for several weeks at a time. By doing this, we thought that we could take a good look-see prior to jumping in a buying a home right away (which is what we had to do when we moved to Michigan...jump right in).

I'm really feeling what a few others have stated...owning two houses is WAAAAAAAAY too much work for my husband and I and way above our financial means (or desires). I do not see that happening for us, which is probably a good thing! Change is good!

Thanks again for all the helpful advice and feedback! I appreciate it so much!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 19,643 times
What are the best and safest communities to live in in Sarasota? We are looking to buy a condo and would love some advice on where to look.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 PM

83 posts, read 179,015 times
Love SRQ airport...hate that Southwest Air took over AirTran. Flew to Lauderdale last week and hated the "Greyhound of the the Skies" cattle call. RIP AirTran

Old 10-19-2010, 02:05 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,905 times
In this post here it seems like its being made to sound like people in FL are very friendly, its drivable and so forth. Lets not get carried away because this is not the utopia many make it sound. I mean if you do your research you should be ok, but to the OP, you may find drivers worse here than in Michigan and ruder and thats no overexaggeration. They are ruder here than in MA to me. At least up north, you get let in now and then, here it seems like never or way more times than not that you dont. I have never been more frustrated in my life driving on these roads either with people tailgating in their large pickups or people who make bonehead moves like someone did today and almost caused an accident. I am starting to think the old people arent so bad now since they arent even really in my driving complaints. Its most of these young hotshots down here or whoever else who think they own the roads. Some may see me as a pessimist, but I am a realist.
Make sure you set it up that you are not lonely here once your husband passes on because then you will beg to go back to where family is. Its happened more than enough times with retirees moving to FL. Not just in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area