Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:09 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post

People in FLorida are wonderful, they really are...just look at the responses to most of the Florida posts! My husband and I just got back from Cancun on Saturday (we've been to Mexico a lot...husband loves the Caribbean waters...I do too...and we both love the Mexican people and culture...so warm and friendly). Anyhow, we are both convinced that the sun, swimming, warm weather, salt water, outdoor activity, blue skies and all the rest one gets with a warmer climate definitely makes for happier, more-outgoing and friendlier people.

Thanks for all the tips about housing and neighborhoods. One thing we did in Mexico was pick up a few more resort weeks (like 100-YIKES), so we can perhaps "bundle" them in the future and stay at resorts in the SWF or Sarasota area for several weeks at a time. By doing this, we thought that we could take a good look-see prior to jumping in a buying a home right away (which is what we had to do when we moved to Michigan...jump right in).

I'm really feeling what a few others have stated...owning two houses is WAAAAAAAAY too much work for my husband and I and way above our financial means (or desires). I do not see that happening for us, which is probably a good thing! Change is good!

Thanks again for all the helpful advice and feedback! I appreciate it so much!

Like people anywhere else are not??? This sounds like you are in idealistic mind with rose colored glasses on. There are nice people on this board YES but do not confuse it for what the main roads and living atmosphere can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,257 times
I spent 12 years in Gods waiting room and am now in St Augustine. I have met more normal people in six weeks here than in years in Sarasota. If you are retired and like to find things to do with fellow retirees then you will enjoy Sarasota but if you want to live in a mixed community with great weather look in the next Florida boom place NE Florida and the Panhandle.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
I spent 12 years in Gods waiting room and am now in St Augustine. I have met more normal people in six weeks here than in years in Sarasota. If you are retired and like to find things to do with fellow retirees then you will enjoy Sarasota but if you want to live in a mixed community with great weather look in the next Florida boom place NE Florida and the Panhandle.
Wow - that is pretty condescending - "normal people?" Well guess what, we live in Sarasota and consider ourselves and everyone in our neighborhood and that we know here "normal." Sarasota has a lot more than retirees here - maybe you should have gotten out more?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:23 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Funny, we are in our 30's & have had no trouble finding younger people here in Sarasota. And there is always something going on for the kids to do. The median age here is in the 40's I believe...not exactly retirees. Now Venice is another story....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area