Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,378,289 times

Advertisements

I'm listening that's for sure. I sit here 1200 miles away and wonder if MY AC unit is safe. I'm taking in all these good ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,759,014 times
Would you consider a tenant? Maybe just having someone there might be enough of a deterrent? It's really too bad you can't booby trap your own property, home or store. If I were king....

Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,943,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Would you consider a tenant? Maybe just having someone there might be enough of a deterrent? It's really too bad you can't booby trap your own property, home or store. If I were king....
Yeah I asked him that but he doesn't want to rent it out.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,759,014 times
Oops! I mean...uh...yeah, yeah....I was just checking to see if he really meant it....yeah, that's it...

Old 01-31-2011, 05:09 PM

33 posts, read 54,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
You can easily monitor security cameras from anywhere in the world. Unfortunately, it is not cheap. Friends of mine have a vacation home in Englewood and put in 6 cameras all around the house. That kit cost them I believe around $500 (color cameras!) But, then you need a computer in the house with internet that is always turned on, so the camera images are broadcast over a secure link and you can log in from anywhere to see what is (or isn't) going on. There are also on-line services that charge a nominal fee to record everything for you.
This is the system I have which is "FrontPoint Security". If I recall correctly, the cameras they have are for indoor use only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Homes View Post
I would think even a few dummy cams with an official looking alarm company signed placed strategically around the property MAY help deter some criminals.
Quote:
OMG, I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned until now . I completely forgot about these! You can get a very nice motion camera from any sporting goods store for under $150. You would just have to hide it so the perp doesnt know he's being photographed and try to break/steal the camera. Then if the neighbor notices a theft has happened, he can just remove the mini disc from the camera and email the pics to the home owner and police.

The issue I have with cameras is that they have to be mounted up very high and well out of reach to be effective. The average person with a three foot long set of bolt cutters could easily take a swing at a camera from the side, 10 feet up and not be seen. The other issue is that I may have a thief on video walking away with my AC pump but, I'm still on the hook for the cost of repairs yet again. Something tells me, if a thief has to go through all that trouble for a measly 40 - 50 bucks, he certainly doesn't have the $4800 it costs to replace my system. I don't mean to come off as sounding critical with the suggestion of cameras, I'm just shedding light on potential downfalls.

Cameras however if seen by a thief certainly can act as a deterrent.

Frank

Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Question for Old Man Winter...pawn shops are required to document each item they take in. Would it be feasible to require (by law) recyclers to only receive a/c parts like these from licensed businesses and to document each purchase? Can these coils be serialized as they are manufactured so they can be identified when reported as stolen and traced by police? Maybe it's time for the manufacturers to step up.

In my other life, I ran a photographic equipment business and we dealt with both new and used items. We fell under the pawn shop laws and had to document everything we took in. We prided ourselves in catching a number of thieves who brought us items we thought to be suspicious.
bbronson, very good question....Just as Shannon has done,I may write a letter to our local commissioner and pose this very question.

Frank

Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
OMG, I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned until now . I completely forgot about these! You can get a very nice motion camera from any sporting goods store for under $150. You would just have to hide it so the perp doesnt know he's being photographed and try to break/steal the camera. Then if the neighbor notices a theft has happened, he can just remove the mini disc from the camera and email the pics to the home owner and police.

A motion camera is actually a very creative idea but the flash would give it away and once again, if the thieves didn't notice it, they're still walking away with my AC and I'm on the hook for the bill.

Frank

Old 01-31-2011, 05:28 PM

This afternoon I had a very long and productive phone call with one of the city commissioners, Linda Yates. We did come up with several ideas, most of which I won't post here since it's a public forum and you never know who's reading it.

I will be scheduling an appointment to meet with the former police chief and now the new city manger, Terry Lewis as well as meeting with the new police chief. There's also a large neighborhood watch meeting at the city hall on the first Wednesday of the month, which happens to be Feb 2nd. I'm going to see about making it to that meeting as well.

Linda and I came up with some ideas on how we might trace the criminals from the stolen goods back. It's hard to explain or rather I'm not going to explain on the forum but I think we have a good plan so far.

This is happening all over the US in every state but whatever I can to to stop in my back yard, I'm going to do it. It's nice to know that you have people at the city level that at least care to return phone calls, are concerned about their city and come up with ideas. I'm glad I voted for Linda.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 01-31-2011 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
This afternoon I had a very long and productive phone call with one of the city commissioners, Linda Yates. We did come up with several ideas, most of which I won't post here since it's a public forum and you never know who's reading it.

I will be scheduling an appointment to meet with the former police chief and now the new city manger, Terry Lewis as well as meeting with the new police chief. There's also a large neighborhood watch meeting at the city hall on the first Wednesday of the month, which happens to be Feb 2nd. I'm going to see about making it to that meeting as well.

Linda and I came up with some ideas on how we might trace the criminals from the stolen goods back. It's hard to explain or rather I'm not going to explain on the forum but I think we have a good plan so far.

This is happening all over the US in every state but whatever I can to to stop in my back yard, I'm going to do it. It's nice to know that you have people at the city level that at least care to return phone, are concerned about their city and come up with ideas. I'm glad I voted for Linda.
Ha ha... awesome work Shannon!!! I am blown away by your initiative. I really wish I was better positioned to help in this cause. Your hard work will benefit soooo many people.

Frank

Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Ram3500 View Post
Ha ha... awesome work Shannon!!! I am blown away by your initiative. I really wish I was better positioned to help in this cause. Your hard work will benefit soooo many people.

Frank
I hope so. I'm going to give it my best shot! The more people we can get behind this, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area