Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM

10 posts, read 19,207 times

Advertisements

I apologize because I know this is going to be long, but I saw that people got angry if you didn't combine your questions, so I'm putting them all in one post.

My family and I are looking to move somewhere on the Gulf Coast between Tampa and Fort Myers. We are planning an exploration trip for the last week of May/1st week of June. I'm hoping some of the local residents can give me some feedback.

We currently live in Lakeland, TN, a suburb of Memphis. My husband is a FedEx pilot and I'm a graphic designer. I have a design business that I run from home with clients all over the US and my husband can commute. So we don't have to find jobs jobs to relocate

After four years in Memphis I just have had enough. We bought our dream house here, in the "best" school district, but unfortunately you still have to leave the compound and deal with Memphis crime, prejudice and everything else.

For my husband's commute to work we want to be within an 1 1/2 hours of either Fort Myers or Tampa Airports.

We are considering Tampa, Sarasota & Cape Coral but are open to suggestions. Sarasota is high on our list because one of the pilots my husband flies with moved there and loves it. He told us that he did all the research and it's the best option.

We realize that we will have to downsize. Houses are big and affordable here...I think because no one wants to live here. We live in a 4600 sq ft. 5 bed 4.5 bath house. From what I've seen of Sarasota, it looks like we will likely get something half the size for the same price.

Schools are a big consideration. Currently my daughter goes to a school that is rated 10 on GreatSchools.org. It's in our neighborhood and has very good parental involvement. She's in 3rd grade and reading on an 8th grade level. This school here has a gifted program called Apex, and I'm hoping for a school there that will also challenge her. I've heard that Sarasota has the best schools. Even one for gifted kids. However I've also heard that Sarasota's schools are good compared to FL, not compared to other places.

My daughter is on a competitive soccer team and we heard that Florida is a great state for soccer. Is there a league in Sarasota that is better than others?

I realize I'm moving to Florida, and there are a lot of retirees, but I'd really like to have at least some neighbors that are around my age and kids for my daughter to play with. Is Sarasota that place? Are there specific neighborhoods to focus on? My husband is 40, I'm 37 and my daughter is 9. Nothing against retirees either. I just want some people my age around.

Crime is a big deal. Sarasota seems to have a low crime rate, and that's another check in it's favor. Tampa really concerns me. I feel safe where I live right now, but not safe when I venture out of my neighborhood. Is my daughter safe to play in her own backyard?

What do you think we should see in Sarasota while we are visiting? Is there any specific area that we should focus on? I'm hoping to contact a realtor to at least see a few houses to get a feel for how much we will actually be downsizing even though we aren't going to buy this trip. We will have to buy a cheaper house than we are in currently because my husband will not have as much an opportunity to work his schedule to max his pay while commuting. We will probably not go above $350-400k this time around. I'm concerned because Sarasota's market seems pricier. I'm actually really handy and can do a fixer, but if I do I want to have money left in the budget to pay for it. What are the building codes like? Do I have to get a permit for minor changes there like you do in Cape Coral?

Any input would be appreciated. I am going primarily to look at real estate but I will have a nine year old to keep happy too. Anything fun to do? Besides the beach of course. Yet another huge plus for Sarasota.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm going to be posting similar posts in Cape Coral and Tampa too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
others can help with schools ,though I have seen everyone say Sarasota county is amongst the best . from your post i would say Sarasota itself will be the better fit. i dont think you will like CC as much nor FM based on your 'wish list' and dont wants.

right now there are 7 homes of 2500sq ft plus built after 2000 with pool (a must) in your price range, in the sarasota area

what i can help on is soccer. the competitive league is run by FYSA, there are a number of good clubs in that area Clearwater being one and Lakewood Ranch another.the season runs October -March. most clubs have try outs late May/early June. check FYSA.com for a list of clubs.

and good luck

Old 05-05-2012, 05:55 AM

547 posts, read 926,879 times
From what you wrote,to keep it short, Sarasota is the logical choice. It has everything you are looking for. From traveling competitive soccer to schools for the gifted.
I know a person who has coached competitive girls, I could give you his info.
I think you could find downsizing to be an advantage. With so much to do outside, you won't need a Mcmansion. There are plenty of great houses on the market. I would definitely take your time & shop around. I would suggest looking outside of the "ranches" There are PLENTY of nice areas to live. Especially to find playmates.
Crime can happen anywhere, but this is a safe area.
For starters, 9 year olds would like G-wiz, Jungle Gardens, Mote Marine Aquarium, Myakka & Oscar Scherer State Parks, or one of the many playgrounds.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
For Sarasota Schools you may want to refer to this city-data link.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/saras...-sarasota.html

If you want to search for homes you can to go the local MLS - http://myfloridahomesmls.com/ This will help give you an idea of homes that are within your search criteria. Then you can start to narrow down from there. This MLS does not cover Lee County, however.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:41 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
I would definitely recommend Sarasota, but the notion that Tampa is a problem, crime-wise, is goofy. There are plenty of places throughout Tampa or St. Pete where a person could live and barely think about crime at all.

The other advantages to Tampa-St. Pete are that there is a lot more going on, and the general demographic is younger.

That said, my wife and I find Sarasota a lot prettier, and just a better all-around fit for raising a family.

I didn't notice what the budget was, but all indications are that you can easily find a nice 3/2 with a pool, ~2300 sq ft plus lanai and garage, for under $400K.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:09 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Check north of tampa, near I-75.New Tampa area and surrounding area.

Check Lakewood Ranch and Palmer Ranch areas of Sarasota. But beware of high fees/taxes in Lakewood Ranch. Also check Sarasota area just east of I-75. Some nice smaller subdivisions.

There are several very nice areas in Ft Myers and Bonita Springs. . Cape Coral is nice and you can get some value for your money.

IMO, there are pockets of crime in parts of Manatee county..west of I-75. Some folks that live there will defend it, but the crime is there in some areas and you can read about it often in the local newspapers.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM

10 posts, read 19,207 times
mr&mrssunshine, I am actually ready to downsize! You are correct that a house this size is a lot of work to clean. I am completely over cleaning. Three people don't need five toilets. It's ridiculous. Our friends that moved there actually live in Lakewood Ranch. You don't actually have to live in the Ranch to be part of the soccer club do you?

Picshooter thanks for the suggestions for entertainment. I would appreciate it if you would message me the soccer coach's contact info. Realistically we are going to miss tryouts for this year. Depending on when they are we would maybe be able to watch some tryouts though if they are happening while we are there. We are leaving right after tryouts are over here. That way if our house doesn't sell right away we are still covered for next year.

Rushmore, thanks for the info on crime. We had been told that Tampa had a lot more crime, but I also know that there are nice areas too. I'm sure it can't come close Memphis since we claim the title for #2 highest crime city in the US almost every year. Only Detroit has us beat! Trust me when I say I understand the randomness of crime. I've seen it here. I just am trying to narrow the field and crime is a con, however the younger median age is a positive. We will keep an open mind until we see it for ourselves.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I really appreciate it.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:28 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwideweberdesign View Post
Rushmore, thanks for the info on crime. We had been told that Tampa had a lot more crime, but I also know that there are nice areas too. I'm sure it can't come close Memphis since we claim the title for #2 highest crime city in the US almost every year. Only Detroit has us beat! Trust me when I say I understand the randomness of crime. I've seen it here. I just am trying to narrow the field and crime is a con, however the younger median age is a positive. We will keep an open mind until we see it for ourselves. .
I'm from Baltimore.

'Nuff said.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 PM

80 posts, read 184,818 times
Default Choosing between cities on Gulf Coast

We are also looking, and decided on Sarasota for lots of reasons. We did our first trip last month, and drove and visited til exhausted. We wanted a deed restricted community---didn't know that til we looked, as no one where we live now would think of storing a boat or rv on property.

We liked the following areas as they are close to the city and beach, and stores (within 20 minutes or so) but have land around them and are deed restricted:
first choice was Seranoa. Loved, loved, loved it---just like home but cheaper and warmer! Lovely quiet feel. There are a few homes currently around $400,000. Next was The Lakes, and also right next to it Hidden Oaks---both of these have a variety of homes, but the Lakes would have the lower priced options---they are next to each other off Bahia Vista--though the entrance to The Lakes is off McIntosh.
None of these areas are cookie cutter--all different styles with some personality.
Spend time on Zillow.com----by the time I got there I could find my way around---and I had never been there before! You can put in your exact specifications, and it will narrow down your search for you. Overshoot your budget, as I've never, ever, ever paid anywhere near the price listed for any of our houses.

Good luck

Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Since schools are a high priority with you, here's a site by the FL Dept of Education that gives you access to their rankings of all 67 school districts in the state of FL: http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/default.asp

Sarasota and Manatee are the local counties for the Sarasota and Bradenton areas. Many of the newer subdivisions are in south Manatee county along I75, on both the west and east sides.

The local newspaper, the Sarasota Herald Tribune, ran a story in January that discusses how our school districts came out in the rankings, I posted a summary here on city-data at that time:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/sarasota-bradenton-venice-area/1484660-state-fl-releases-rankings-schools.html

There are a number of communities in both Sarasota and Manatee counties that could fit your criteria.

In south Manatee county, the obvious one is Lakewood Ranch. Other nearby communities include Mote Ranch (Arbor Lakes, Mote, River Park at Mote to name a few), Heritage Harbour, Greyhawk Landings (many larger homes, amenities for younger families), Mill Creek (large homes on large lots, especially the newer section close to SR64), University Place (gated, 2 community pools & a playground). These communities would all put you close to Lakewood Ranch for the soccer program.

South Sarasota is popular with families, especially the Riverview High school district area. There are a number of well kept neighborhoods that offer some homes with larger sq ft, such as Greenfield & Emerald Gardens (both 1990's built homes), Country Manor (1990's), Southfield (1980's - 1990's homes, reasonable HOA fees), Country Place (1980's homes, beautiful community, nice lots), The Lake Estates (lots of lovely tree lined streets, 2 community pools, 1980's built homes), Gulf Gate East (1980's homes).

Palmer Ranch has a number of neighborhoods with various amenities and prices. Wellington Chase would probably be considered the most affordable neighborhood of single family homes, so has more younger families. Prestancia is a golf and country club community. The other subdivisions fall somewhere between these two. Most of PR is within Sarasota school districts but not all, some of the southern most section falls within Venice school districts. Most of the neighborhoods were built in the 1990's. The newest communities are Village Walk and The Isles. The Isles' single family homes are on the smaller range, mostly less than 2200 sq ft. Village Walk does have single family homes, some larger, but they are more pricey. Village Walk is (guard) gated with a community center that includes a few small shops, a deli, beauty shop and post office. It does have very nice amenities.

There's a lot to do in the Sarasota area for all age groups. Everything from outdoor activities/sports to art/culture/ballet. Lots of free and almost free things to do, events, festivals, etc. Lakewood Ranch has a lot of get togethers such as Music on Main the 1st Friday of each month and holiday celebrations that involve everyone from young to old. These events are open to the public, so you don't have to live there to participate.

I think you may be pleasantly surprised when you do visit Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area