Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 7,397 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am considering moving to Sarasota. I am a single female in my mid-thirties. I work as an RN so I do not thinking finding a job will be hard. I would like to know thoughts, good and bad, on Sarasota. I am originally from NJ, but have lived in North Carolina for the past two years. I would like
to be near the beach, have some fun bars and restaurants. Do you think this area would be a good fit for me? Thanks for your tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:36 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,350,009 times
Welcome to City-Data. Where its always warm and sunny.

Original credit to Cardiff for the video. In all seriousness, jessieRN, you want what everyone wants. Come and visit. Try the area out. See what you think. We all love it here, but you question has been asked, oh, about a million times now. Spend some time and go through 10 pages of threads here. You'll see all of your questions asked and answered. By all means, take this without jest, but more of a "Just try it". We'll all type nice things about Sarasota. But its your life, your decision, and you should at least visit first.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:19 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,109,012 times
There was a thread in the last week from a nurse considering moving with her husband. People replied that it was very hard to get into Sarasota Hospital as a regular. Yes there is a beach here. The demographic in the bars and restaurants may be too old for you.

As Ben suggested, you might want to read some other threads and get some knowledge of Sarasota. Your question is just too general and as Ben said, it has been asked about a million times in more specific ways. Your query just happens to be the most general of all the requests for information. It is very hard to know if you will like Sarasota. I absolutely love it, whereas my best friend who came to check it out, just wasn't feeling it. It was too old for her and she has 10 years on you.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:22 AM

And in contrast, I'm mid thirties and love it. But I'm not single, I'm happily married. I'd hate to be single here.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,560,224 times
A lot of the nursing jobs start out as per diem. But there are openings. As far as meeting other people, join a club, social group, volunteer group, meet up group, church, etc. That is the best way to meet people rather than going to the bars. There are a lot of events to go to too and some nice restaurants/bars. You need to take a vacation and visit the area to explore it to see if it is a good fit for you.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:59 AM

I am hoping to take a trip out to Sarasota in a month or so. Can anybody recommend a hotel that would be close to Downtown so I can walk around and explore?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,347,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieRN View Post
I am hoping to take a trip out to Sarasota in a month or so. Can anybody recommend a hotel that would be close to Downtown so I can walk around and explore?
After Easter, you can stay pretty much wherever you want for a reasonable price. Just Google downtown Sarasota hotels and take your pick.

OR get a rental down at Siesta Key, which will give you good access to the nightlife in the village.

OR on Lido, which will give you access to St. Armand's, which also has a fair amount going on.

I have to admit, I get tired of people saying there is no hope for singles under 40 here. It is patently untrue. It is not Manhattan, but it's also not Pluto.

Come on.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Thank you Rushmore. I know salaries are lower here, but I hope that working as an RN will allow me to live comfortably. It always has so far. I think any city has its issues, but it is nice to hear the positive things about Sarasota on these threads.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 AM

Your right Rushmore, it wouldnt bad to be a single girl here. There's lots of older sugar daddies.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:52 AM

Lol Beninfl.....there is always hope....does anybody on this thread know any nurses who work at any of the area hospitals? Thoughts or opinions on working conditions? I have five years experience in the OR, certified in my specialty, and will have my BSN in less than a year. Anybody can message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area