Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:30 AM

657 posts, read 1,788,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
LAKEWOOD RANCH----have maintenance fees in most sections----and cdd's(not sure how much they tack onto a house cost)---i would advise renting short term--6-8 months in any of the developments on university parkway,rt.70,and rt.64--if you stick to the areas EAST of 75---you will be 99% sure you are in a safe area with a better school choice-----
not gated====greenbrook,river club,river walk,all the small sections off lakewood ranch boulevard--excluding the condos

if you are not in a gated community-you may still have homeowners fees,but the areas i mentioned give you a choice of developments or single homes(esp. in mote ranch)

if you decide to be in sarasota county---the meadows,and gulf gate area have your most affordable homes with good schools nearby(both areas are ungated

gated communities in sarasota county tend to be more expensive(unless you manage to get a foreclosure or quick estate sale)

much luck---when you house hunt--pay attention to the presence of critters or their debris--even if they are dead and the realtor tells you it's been sprayed--you can guarantee all their many relatives are alive in the walls and will pay you a visit

homeowners insurance is your most difficult issue here-guv crist is working on it so if you can rent first you are better off waiting to see what companies will write you---right now this state is having issues with allstate
thankyou so much for all the info.. i have some friends in bradenton, and they will prob house hunt with me to make sure im getting a good one.(without critters)lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 11:53 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzup3 View Post
we are living in CT and are planning our move to florida in the near future. all i can see on the listings for the area im looking at bradenton 34202 is gated community homes.
i dont think i want the hoa fees tacked on to a mortage.
is there anywhere i can search out forclosures without joining and paying a monthly fee?
i would love some feedback on gated community vs. not.
i would also love some feedback on this particular area as well. my husband and i are 36-38 and have 2 small girls 3-5.
will my husband have a hard time with a job in this area. he has a class b cdl
Your best bet is to buy a firearm, learn how to use it, then move wherever you want without depending on a false sense of security.
If you got a 12 gauge pump shotgun under your mattress, you don't really worry about things like if your community is gated or not. In fact, you don't really worry about anyone breaking into your house.......ever.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:41 PM

79 posts, read 330,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Your best bet is to buy a firearm, learn how to use it, then move wherever you want without depending on a false sense of security.
If you got a 12 gauge pump shotgun under your mattress, you don't really worry about things like if your community is gated or not. In fact, you don't really worry about anyone breaking into your house.......ever.

I second that. I have that "safety feature" in my home as well, and I gotta say I sleep pretty well at night. And I live in a gated community....

Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 PM

57 posts, read 190,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post

Not that I'm trying to get into a debate with you, but having a weapon can also lead to a false sense of security. Wasn't that football player reaching for his weapon when he was shot and killed? And what if you're in the kitchen when you need your gun? Would you recommend a gun in every room of the house?

I don't think there is a foolproof way to be sure that no one gets in your home. There are always things you can do, of course, to make things safer (security system, large dogs, heavy-duty locks, etc) but everyone should always have a sense of caution and try to avoid that "false sense of security."

Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 PM

849 posts, read 3,527,502 times
Default I think

that's what the gun guys are trying to say. nothing more misleading than an unmanned gate where your neighbors let anyone in because they want to be "nice." also anyone who wants to can get over the gate to do real mayhem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camisis View Post
Not that I'm trying to get into a debate with you, but having a weapon can also lead to a false sense of security. Wasn't that football player reaching for his weapon when he was shot and killed? And what if you're in the kitchen when you need your gun? Would you recommend a gun in every room of the house?

I don't think there is a foolproof way to be sure that no one gets in your home. There are always things you can do, of course, to make things safer (security system, large dogs, heavy-duty locks, etc) but everyone should always have a sense of caution and try to avoid that "false sense of security."

Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camisis View Post

I've given lots of thought to what provides my home the best security against criminals who break in.

The first thing you must realize is that nothing is foolproof. Personally, I believe a small dog is worth way more than just being a pet. They will alert you to anything suspicious going on, at any hour of the day or night. They hear things you don't, etc.

Often, it's those few extra moments of warnings, that allow you to properly prepare for what's happening.

As the old proverb says: "A man suprised, is half beaten"

As for the football player your mention, he heard someone breaking into his house, then grabbed a machete, and went to see what was going on. You've heard the old story about bringing a knife to a gun fight?? This is why.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:19 PM

79 posts, read 330,985 times
Default Right

I have a small dog and she's quite alert. Let's me know when anything weird is going on way before I know.

As for the gun thing, I'm not a big fan of 'em. But I have one because I'm in law enforcement. Been trained in it, and have a great deal of respect for them. If I'm in the kitchen and someone's trying to break in and the gun's across the house, well, I hope I can run fast enough to the other room.

I recently moved into this small gated community. In the 2 weeks I've been here, I've met lots of the people that live here and everyone seems to be aware of anything out of the ordinary. Sure, anyone can jump over a gate, but I like the fact that people here appear "vigilant"- not nosy or hypervigilant, just vigilant.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:37 AM

21 posts, read 105,644 times
We are relocating to FL. from MN. Just purchased a home in Lakewood Ranch, and it is in a gated community. There is a guard there 24/7. I am sure it is possible for anyone to get in but it is comforting to know that they have put down a lic. plate # for anyone that enters...and when they entered. Anything can happen but it just gives a little sence of security and with kids....and moving to a city that we do not know, that makes mom happy ) We visited Lakewood Ranch high School and Haile Middle school, both A rated and very nice schools! Just trying to help, I too had the same worries as you. Visited non gated communities and were not as happy, the extra $ is well worth it to us to have that sence of security whether it helps or not........

Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 AM

21 posts, read 105,644 times
Default Insurance

We just got an insurance quote....and it was amazingly good! Half of what we expected! Just trying to give a positive outlook.....we were amazed!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 AM

57 posts, read 190,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganjazmine View Post
We are relocating to FL. from MN. Just purchased a home in Lakewood Ranch, and it is in a gated community. There is a guard there 24/7. I am sure it is possible for anyone to get in but it is comforting to know that they have put down a lic. plate # for anyone that enters...and when they entered. Anything can happen but it just gives a little sence of security and with kids....and moving to a city that we do not know, that makes mom happy ) We visited Lakewood Ranch high School and Haile Middle school, both A rated and very nice schools! Just trying to help, I too had the same worries as you. Visited non gated communities and were not as happy, the extra $ is well worth it to us to have that sence of security whether it helps or not........

I'm with you, as I don't want to have a dog again (had one before, loved it but I'm done with that for a while at least.) and I don't want to rely on a gun since I have a young child in the house and plan to have more.

I will always be vigilant but having a gate is just one extra little obstacle for someone on the outside to get in. I'm not saying it's foolproof. I'm not sure why people feel the need to be so insulting towards others' decisions. But I love the gated community where we are building our house.

Yours, Morganjazmine, sounds like an even better one. Some friends of ours live in a manned, gated community where you have to check in with the guard and you don't come in unless the homeowner is expecting you and has called ahead. Then they write down your tag number. SURE, someone could always run through the gate or shoot the gate guard or probably find some other way to get around the gate but it's still another obstacle for a criminal to deal with. Enjoy your new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area