Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
You are way off-base. 60 years ago was 1950. Check out the typical 1950's home, car, life expectancy, literacy rate, etc, and you'll see that things were not so rosy as you imagine.

If you want a typical 1950's sqft home, single car, and time home with the kids it is quite achievable on a single income:

Just give up your computer, cell phone, sat/cable tv, second car, 2500+ sqft Mcmansion in the exurbs, health insurance, modern medications, charter schools, college fund, etc. Move to a 700-900 sqft home or townhouse within walking distance (or carpool to) your workplace and VIOLA, it's the 1950's for you all over again!

Don't forget your suit and tie. Sorry about the price of cigarettes (and the inability to chain-smoke them at work), that IS different.
In 1950, I was 12 years old. Everything was fine. My dad, with grade 4 education, worked 40 hours a week, and could afford everything the family needed and most of what we wanted. And he saved enough to send me to college.

If you grew up when most people had just about everything they wanted and needed, it's hard to be convinced that times are better when most people cannot afford much of what they need or want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
You are way off-base. 60 years ago was 1950. Check out the typical 1950's home, car, life expectancy, literacy rate, etc, and you'll see that things were not so rosy as you imagine.

If you want a typical 1950's sqft home, single car, and time home with the kids it is quite achievable on a single income:

Just give up your computer, cell phone, sat/cable tv, second car, 2500+ sqft Mcmansion in the exurbs, health insurance, modern medications, charter schools, college fund, etc. Move to a 700-900 sqft home or townhouse within walking distance (or carpool to) your workplace and VIOLA, it's the 1950's for you all over again!

Don't forget your suit and tie. Sorry about the price of cigarettes (and the inability to chain-smoke them at work), that IS different.
Good point!

I was born in '59, up until I was ten our family did a weekly bath. One bath-tub of hot water; my father took a bath, then my mother, then each child. I was youngest so I got it last [after my three older siblings].

My father had a really good job too. Construction Electrician working for the IBEW.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Just poking around the net, I found a couple interesting facts:

1. The ENTIRE population of the world could fit inside the state of Texas with over 1,100 sq.ft. of space assigned to each person. That would leave the rest of the planet, empty.

2. In terms of food calories, the United States alone produces enough to feed the entire current population of the Earth.

What is not attainable/sustainable is a Western, specifically American, lifestyle for each inhabitant of the planet. We simply do not have the resources. However, space and food are not something we are running out of.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Just poking around the net, I found a couple interesting facts:

1. The ENTIRE population of the world could fit inside the state of Texas with over 1,100 sq.ft. of space assigned to each person. That would leave the rest of the planet, empty.

2. In terms of food calories, the United States alone produces enough to feed the entire current population of the Earth.

What is not attainable/sustainable is a Western, specifically American, lifestyle for each inhabitant of the planet. We simply do not have the resources. However, space and food are not something we are running out of.
Yes, I have seen that posted before.

The math seems un-doable, but it works.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:

In 1970 my dad made $19,000 per year as a master engineer. We live modestly, in a mobile home, and drove 1 car (pickup actually, with a camper top). We had one television (black and white), which we watched very rarely and when we did, it was as a family.

Presently, I live well on about $24k per year. Even with the luxury of a second car, internet access and a couple of cell phones to replace the land lines we did away with a couple of years ago.

As for the other items on the list you provide, we are fortunate that we do not have any need, nor desire for them. I think that many people pay way, way too much for "entertainment". It boggles my mind how much money people throw away simply renting movies! And going to concerts and sporting events is outrageously expensive not to mention spending $60+ each month for satellite television.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In 1950, I was 12 years old. Everything was fine. My dad, with grade 4 education, worked 40 hours a week, and could afford everything the family needed and most of what we wanted. And he saved enough to send me to college.

If you grew up when most people had just about everything they wanted and needed, it's hard to be convinced that times are better when most people cannot afford much of what they need or want.
Exactly people are so brainwashed to believe that everything is getting better, all the time. That they can't even see that the standard of living in this country peeked a long time ago, and has been steady declining since.

50 years ago, the average price of a new home sold in the US was $18,000. Now it is over $300,000. The average cost of full-time college tuition, fees, room and board, books, and personal expenses was $2700 a year. Now it is over $30,000. Which is about the breaking point. I know people why are just saying F it. They can't afford to go to college. What is the future of this country going to be when people can no longer afford education?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
in 1960 or so the world pop was like 3 billion, next year the pop is going to hit 7 billion. how long do you think we can keep going.?? soon the pop will hit 0 growth, it's a fact. you can only fit so many sardines in one can.. and space is a pipe dream, thoughts of terraforming mars or other planets for habitation is just that a freaking dream that will never come true. in the movie space odyssey 2001 and 2010. they portayed humans in deep space all the way out by jupitor in huge orbiting space stations, well we are in the year 2011 and not even close to what they portrayed in those two movies, 2001 space odyssey was made in 1968.. the way things are going i would not want to be around in 50 years.. glad i wont be

i do feel sorry for the youths, they are the ones going to have to deal will all the chaos we created.. they will be saying things like, "what the hell did our greedy ancestors do to this planet". but hay a few souls will rise up out of the ashes of a apocalyptic world to perpetuate the same crap all over again, it's the human way, always been and always will be. a few greedy souls will ruin the whole batch of apples.. and so the cookie crumbles..

Old 04-14-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
in 1960 or so the world pop was like 3 billion, next year the pop is going to hit 7 billion. how long do you think we can keep going.?? soon the pop will hit 0 growth, it's a fact. you can only fit so many sardines in one can.. ... .
Yes, and if we DOUBLED the population of earth, not only would it then take Texas to house the entire population of earth but then we might have to include Rhode Island.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes, and if we DOUBLED the population of earth, not only would it then take Texas to house the entire population of earth but then we might have to include Rhode Island.

Well, forest beekeeper, you have to understand that we have to FEED all those people and it takes LAND (and plenty of it) to produce the crops and meat for that purpose. I read somewhere that it takes something like 14 acres to produce one pound of beef (or something like that). Yes, we CAN fit all the people into Texas, but taking into consideration arid parts of the world, such as the Sahara, Gobi and other deserts; and the areas far to the north that does not support much in the way of agriculture - we have to wonder where the food is going to come from.

Even our massive oceans are feeling the pinch of overfishing to support the large earth population. What is going to happen when we don't have enough food to feed everyone? Not to mention clean, potable water.

The world is OVERPOPULATED with regard to the resources that it takes to care for them, despite the fact that there is still PLENTY of space for them to lay down and die.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-15-2011, 06:31 AM

And in terms of caloric need the USA by itself produces more than ample food to feed the entire planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology