Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 01:05 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times

Advertisements

One issue here seems to be that every time singularity comes up, it seems to come from those that support it or want it to happen. How come we never see peer reviewed works on the issue. Even the more credible articles you post often times have nothing to do with your definition of singularity. Most of the articles talk about treating disease with implants and yet you go on a tangent about how that's proof we'll have cell sized nano bots or enchanced intelligence through those implants even though the article did not even speak of that. Even the blue brain project speaks about using that info for treatment of disease and mental disorders, no mention of using it for cyborg technology (at least on their main website they don't) yet you go on a tangent about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 02:41 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
One issue here seems to be that every time singularity comes up, it seems to come from those that support it or want it to happen. How come we never see peer reviewed works on the issue. Even the more credible articles you post often times have nothing to do with your definition of singularity. Most of the articles talk about treating disease with implants and yet you go on a tangent about how that's proof we'll have cell sized nano bots or enchanced intelligence through those implants even though the article did not even speak of that. Even the blue brain project speaks about using that info for treatment of disease and mental disorders, no mention of using it for cyborg technology (at least on their main website they don't) yet you go on a tangent about it.
I have seen what the critics have to say and the only real argument they have that is credible is Moore's law will end before the singularity gets here. Now while I admit that if Moore's law comes to a end we will not reach the singularity in my life time from what I have seen and read I am confident that will not happen before the singularity.

While I went to a top university and wrote many papers using peer reviewed work and understand why I had to do it, I got A's, now that I am in the real world I do not think that peer reviewed work is a gold standard. Because of this I am not going to even look to see if its peer reviewed as its not something I care about.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
For those of us who are aware about the ideas behind the Singularity, "transhumanism", post-scarcity, and how things could be rapidly converging to a point where things could likely become way better than anything we've ever imagined, why do you think the majority of our fellow human travelers have not even heard of or given thought about it yet? Would the world experience any changes if people became more aware of what may lead to happen, with sufficient collaborative effort?
reason is simple

the convergence wealth is largely not being sent back to the people.
most of the profits from progress is sent to the upper 1% elites first. and then useless people leeches like wall street gobble the wealth up before it would ever go to the real producers.

then on the bottom people have given up and say forget it I will just be a leech on society like wall street and the elites.

so as a result the middle class is shrinking more and more.
you know the class that actually does any work and research?
those of the elites that are actually producers are few and far between and worth what they actually have.
but people gave it to them it is their choice and their fault.

anyway the middle class is fighting against many people that are trying to hold back tech so that they can profit instead of society.

they do not want to share technology. they want to monopolize technology so as a result technology is stagnating.

patent trolls?ahem

Why do you think it took so long for 3d printing to occur?
it is because patents expired now that it is occurring now.

We should expire more patents and be done with it.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
reason is simple

the convergence wealth is largely not being sent back to the people.
most of the profits from progress is sent to the upper 1% elites first. and then useless people leeches like wall street gobble the wealth up before it would ever go to the real producers.

then on the bottom people have given up and say forget it I will just be a leech on society like wall street and the elites.

so as a result the middle class is shrinking more and more.
you know the class that actually does any work and research?
those of the elites that are actually producers are few and far between and worth what they actually have.
but people gave it to them it is their choice and their fault.

anyway the middle class is fighting against many people that are trying to hold back tech so that they can profit instead of society.

they do not want to share technology. they want to monopolize technology so as a result technology is stagnating.

patent trolls?ahem

Why do you think it took so long for 3d printing to occur?
it is because patents expired now that it is occurring now.

We should expire more patents and be done with it.
The singularity is going to impact everyone the same regardless of socioeconomic status. In fact technology will become the great equalizer as everything becomes abundant.

3D printers have taken off recently because of how information technology advances. When it's new it doubles small numbers so people do not notice it now that it has been around for a while its doubling bigger numbers so people notice it.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The singularity is going to impact everyone the same regardless of socioeconomic status. In fact technology will become the great equalizer as everything becomes abundant.

3D printers have taken off recently because of how information technology advances. When it's new it doubles small numbers so people do not notice it now that it has been around for a while its doubling bigger numbers so people notice it.
Perhaps decades after, but in the beginning all the implants and surgeries will not magically become affordable; remember even insurance plans only cover diseases and illnesses not vanity projects (like plastic surgery) the implants that will enhance us will be analogous to today's plastic surgery.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Perhaps decades after, but in the beginning all the implants and surgeries will not magically become affordable; remember even insurance plans only cover diseases and illnesses not vanity projects (like plastic surgery) the implants that will enhance us will be analogous to today's plastic surgery.
Computer price comes down fast that I am not worried about. However during the biotech revaluation it will be interesting to see how much it costs to reverse age and turn off the fat gene. At least in the 2020's. Honestly I am prepared to pay a lot but I'm not sure how affordable it will be. Finally the economy will completely change post singularity especially as we get near free energy etc.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Computer price comes down fast that I am not worried about. However during the biotech revaluation it will be interesting to see how much it costs to reverse age and turn off the fat gene. At least in the 2020's. Honestly I am prepared to pay a lot but I'm not sure how affordable it will be. Finally the economy will completely change post singularity especially as we get near free energy etc.
I know there are cheap laptops, but most of the time they're older models, if you want the latest apple or windows computer you still have to shell out $1,000-$2,000 and it's been that way for a while. Now surgeries tend to be even more expensive and that hasn't changed for decades so I won't hold my breath in regard to these procedures becoming affordable immediately as you claim. In fact, I don't think we'll be seeing those type of implants until after the 2030s or even 2040s as all info so far points to the implants from the 2020s being used only for medical purposes and nothing more.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Membrane that can keep your heart pumping forever and possibly prevent heart attacks | Mail Online

Don't know up someone put this up already but thought it was pretty cool.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I know there are cheap laptops, but most of the time they're older models, if you want the latest apple or windows computer you still have to shell out $1,000-$2,000 and it's been that way for a while. Now surgeries tend to be even more expensive and that hasn't changed for decades so I won't hold my breath in regard to these procedures becoming affordable immediately as you claim. In fact, I don't think we'll be seeing those type of implants until after the 2030s or even 2040s as all info so far points to the implants from the 2020s being used only for medical purposes and nothing more.
Just look at the smart phone. It is thousands of times more powerful then all of NASA in the 1960's yet they are common and I got my I phone for $200. That is because the price per dollar is going down so by 2030 the cost of a computer the size of a blood cell will be pennies.

I happen to see this and it does a great job of explaining it in only a minute:

http://projects.wsj.com/soty/week/9/...e-of-computing

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-08-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Membrane that can keep your heart pumping forever and possibly prevent heart attacks | Mail Online

Don't know up someone put this up already but thought it was pretty cool.
I do not remember if I posted it or not but I did read about it. This is way cool and this is still 2014 why by the 2020's life expectancy will no longer be a metric we use anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology