Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 12:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Looks like things are going faster then I have thought.

This is from CNN:

Forget wearable tech, embeddable implants are already here

The link: Forget wearable tech, embeddable implants are already here - CNN.com
Nothing new about imbeddable implants. RFID implants have been around for a while, the first reported experiment was in 1998.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(human)

PositiveID, formerly VeriChip, has been marketed for Health ID and Security ID. RFDI chips have been implanted in pets and other animals for identification purposes. There was a proposed push to implant kids for identification as well as tracking, but for the most part that hasn't attracted positive public interest for a variety of reasons.
PositiveID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
VeriChip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(animal)

Other kinds of implants include heart devices that can be recharged and remotely monitored by phone.
Remote monitoring and follow-up of pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 02:25 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,469,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Nothing new about imbeddable implants. RFID implants have been around for a while, the first reported experiment was in 1998.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(human)

PositiveID, formerly VeriChip, has been marketed for Health ID and Security ID. RFDI chips have been implanted in pets and other animals for identification purposes. There was a proposed push to implant kids for identification as well as tracking, but for the most part that hasn't attracted positive public interest for a variety of reasons.
PositiveID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
VeriChip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(animal)

Other kinds of implants include heart devices that can be recharged and remotely monitored by phone.
Remote monitoring and follow-up of pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators
Good point which is why I think we will have to wait till the mid 2020's to really be able to merge with computers. At least to the point where we can have VR, hook up directly to the Internet, and have it enhance our intelligence and immune system.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:09 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,671 times
Quote:
Good point which is why I think we will have to wait till the mid 2020's to really be able to merge with computers. At least to the point where we can have VR, hook up directly to the Internet, and have it enhance our intelligence and immune system.
Another interesting study, they might have found a way to trick our immune systems to prevent them from attacking implants or nano particles. Though it doesn't seem 100% effective yet.

Nanomedicine breakthrough: protein 'passport' can evade immune system

"Nanomedicine breakthrough: protein 'passport' can evade immune system

The body's immune system identifies and destroys foreign objects, whether they are bacteria, viruses, flecks of dirt or splinters. Unfortunately, nanoparticles designed to deliver drugs, and implanted devices like pacemakers or artificial joints, are just as foreign and subject to the same hostile response.

Now, however, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania have discovered a way to provide a "passport" for such therapeutic devices, enabling them to get past the body's security system."

Old 04-12-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Another interesting study, they might have found a way to trick our immune systems to prevent them from attacking implants or nano particles. Though it doesn't seem 100% effective yet.

Nanomedicine breakthrough: protein 'passport' can evade immune system

"Nanomedicine breakthrough: protein 'passport' can evade immune system

The body's immune system identifies and destroys foreign objects, whether they are bacteria, viruses, flecks of dirt or splinters. Unfortunately, nanoparticles designed to deliver drugs, and implanted devices like pacemakers or artificial joints, are just as foreign and subject to the same hostile response.

Now, however, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania have discovered a way to provide a "passport" for such therapeutic devices, enabling them to get past the body's security system."
Great article... I am excited for the nanotech revaluation.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,671 times
Quote:
Great article... I am excited for the nanotech revaluation.
Seems like Transcendence won't ignite the singularity spark for the masses. It's not tracking well, so it'll more than likely flop at the box office and it's apparently getting horrid reviews (39/100 on metacritic and 19% on rottentomatoes so far).

Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Seems like Transcendence won't ignite the singularity spark for the masses. It's not tracking well, so it'll more than likely flop at the box office and it's apparently getting horrid reviews (39/100 on metacritic and 19% on rottentomatoes so far).
It will be interesting to see how it does. Even if it does not do well in the box office I will still consider it going main stream simply because it was a big budget movie world wide.

I am going to see it Sunday night then I will post my thoughts on it here.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:42 AM

^

I did read a review of the movie tonight and it does looks like it will be a disappointment. I will keep a open mind though as I will go see it Sunday.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Graphene ‘spaser’ brings optical computing to the nano-scale | ExtremeTech

Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 AM

Thanks for posting. Just another example of the coming nano-tech revaluation coming in the late 2020's.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM

This is a great example as to why I now say the singularity is mainstream because of this movie even if the majority of people do not see it.

As the Hollywood blockbuster Transcendence debuts this weekend with Johnny Depp, Morgan Freeman and clashing visions for the future of humanity, it's tempting to dismiss the notion of highly intelligent machines as mere science fiction. But this would be a mistake, and potentially our worst mistake ever.

Artificial intelligence (AI) research is now progressing rapidly. Recent landmarks such as self-driving cars, a computer winning at Jeopardy!, and the digital personal assistants Siri, Google Now and Cortana are merely symptoms of an IT arms race fueled by unprecedented investments and building on an increasingly mature theoretical foundation. Such achievements will probably pale against what the coming decades will bring.

The link: Transcending Complacency on Superintelligent Machines*|*Stephen Hawking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology