Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 06:55 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVaslovik View Post
Well I don't take this "singularity" thing seriously at all because it's nothing more than a SciFi fantasy indulged in by a lot of hipster idiots who can't accept humanity as it really is. If they want to plug a computer into their brains and upload themselves then God speed and more power to them, but I'm pretty sure they will end up dead to no good end. Let us know how that works out, okay?

Calm down. This isn't Facebook.

The "singularity thing" can have several different meanings. For me it's more about extending life, and better quality of life thru breakthroughs in technology. And this is already happening in many new ways

This (very interesting) thread has become a catch all for all kinds of different technology talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 04:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
I came across some more examples that show the law of accelerating returns is alive and well.

Here is the first:

World's first 1,000-processor microchip revealed: Revolutionary device can complete 1.78 TRILLION tasks every second
KiloCore chip has 700 more processors than the previous largest

Scientists in California have designed a microchip containing 1,000 independent programmable processors.
Until now, the highest number of processors - the function to run a programme independently within a microchip - has been 300.

Read more: Revolutionary KiloCore device can complete 1.78 TRILLION tasks every second | Daily Mail Online

Here is another example:

Large-scale brain-like machines with human-like abilities to solve problems could become a reality, now that researchers have invented microscopic gadgets that mimic the connections between neurons in the human brain better than any previous devices.
The new research could lead to better robots, self-driving cars, data mining, medical diagnosis, stock-trading analysis and "other smart human-interactive systems and machines in the future," said Tae-Woo Lee, a materials scientistat the Pohang University of Science and Technology in Korea and senior author of the study.

The link: "Artificial Synapses" Could Let Supercomputers Mimic the Human Brain - Scientific American

Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 AM

This is a good step forward as we race to reverse engeering the brain around 2020 and the biotech revolution in the 2020's and the nanotech revolution in the 2030's and finally the singularity by 2045. This is a huge step indeed.

Google's engineers just achieved a milestone in quantum computing: they’ve produced the first completely scalable quantum simulation of a hydrogen molecule.

That’s big news, because it shows similar devices could help us unlock the quantum secrets hidden in the chemistry that surrounds us.

Researchers working with the Google team were able to accurately simulate the energy of hydrogen H2 molecules, and if we can repeat the trick for other molecules, we could see the benefits in everything from solar cells to medicines.

The link: Google

Old 08-16-2016, 06:04 PM

I get asked a lot on how will me actually merge with the tech that it sounds like science fiction. Well here is a good article on that topic.

This is from the Washington Post:

Putting a computer in your brain is no longer science fiction

The link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ience-fiction/

Old 08-16-2016, 10:00 PM

If you're a Vice fan, they have a pretty decent write up on their app about the coming human/tech merger.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If you're a Vice fan, they have a pretty decent write up on their app about the coming human/tech merger.
What is that I would be interested.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:42 AM

I have their app, but I think they post the same info on vice. Com

Old 08-17-2016, 05:25 PM

Motherboard is doing a video series on the future of the human body. They're showing a trailer on their Facebook page.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:41 PM

I will look both up! Thanks

Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Of course, you'd get a lot of attention that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

Finally the stock market is not information technology so impossible to predict with 99.9% certainty.
No, the stock market is actually a good example. If you could isolate all the causative factors in the cycles of the stock market, & then build a good mathematical model & run it enough to fine-tune it & bring it into a good-to-excellent match of the real World out here in the big room - then it should be possible to predict with a fair certainty. I'm not sure you'd actually hit 99.9% - but that's close to certainty.

Any stock market trader would be happy with an 80% match of the model to reality. They'd be wealthy very quickly, if they were incautious. Of course, the trick is to ID all the factors, build up a good math model, & then run it enough to eliminate all the likely errors, before you commit real funds to speculate with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology