Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 09:19 PM

144 posts, read 304,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Yes, but I still think you should be a bit more realist.

Now let's say the nanobots have some sort of glitch and they end up killing the person. Can you imagine how that would devastate the nanotechnology field simply because the scientists were so eager to get the process moving faster. Such an occurrence would devastate the field
Really? If some new treatment, procedure, or drug kills ONE person it devastates the field possibly indefinitely? I don't think so...it's hard to watch TV and not see a commercial for people to file a lawsuit for this implant or that procedure going wrong or something being recalled, these things were all at some point cleared to be used on the public at large, they weren't perfected, had some defect, and have seriously injured or killed people, but the industries go on even if certain companies might take a hit. You can't watch an advertisement for any new drug it seems without it saying it has the side effect of MAYBE KILLING YOU, seems almost like a standard for all these serious drugs already on the market. I imagine there'll be plenty for whom nanobots don't go so well, but they'll get better over time and many will never have major issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 10:11 PM

144 posts, read 304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatocoenosis View Post
No, I joined this forum when I came across some very obvious factual mistakes in the "fossils to oil" thread.
Fascinating.

Quote:
Apparently, you don't know how science works. Peer review is, and has been, the backbone of scientific discovery for nearly 200 years, and I am sure there are links in this thread to legitimate scientific and tech discoveries; I never wrote that there wasn't. My concern is that pseudoscientific nonsense is being passed off as a legitimate scientific theory.
I am a scientist, and I have argued against pseudoscience and other forms quackery for nearly 30 yearsNo. I haven't read the entire thread, but I have read enough of it to determine that it is based upon the absurd pseudoscience of Ray Hurzweil.
I am not a scientist, this doesn't prevent me from being able to read and consider real and factual discoveries of the past and present, and come to the conclusion, that when you put everything together, there is a strong possibility of various technologies coming into existence that will lead to a Singularity. I respect Ray K(with a K)urzweil and believe he knows what he's talking about. He actually travels around, and visits with scientists and the forerunners of various tech, IT, and scientific fields, he's not reading old scifi novels and going direct to print on his next book. I haven't been able to read The Singularity Is Near yet but I know there's a ridiculous amount of CITATIONS to back up his predictions.

Quote:
Yes, I am aware that I am not a moderator, here. I do however moderate a science forum and a music forum.
Wait, so I can't bring up the Wright brothers but you being a mod on OTHER forums (including an irrelevant MUSIC one) has any bearing on ANYTHING?! I think not.

Quote:
You have no ideal who I am, but yes, I agree that it probably won't be moved
I know you came into this thread as some sort of crusader who thinks he knows better than anyone else cause you've been on an anti-quackery campaign for your entire life, or career when countless facts state otherwise.

Quote:
Yes, I know that I am wasting my time with him, and you, but some opened minded person might see this thread, and recognize the absurdity of premise after reading my responses. My posts aren't intended for the dogmatic, but those searching for the truth. Belief in pseudoscience/conspiracy theories is dogmatic to the people that hold those views; no amount of rational discourse will sway the the views of those so inclined.
I want to know the truth, I don't believe in conspiracy theories, established religions, or that there are DEFINITELY aliens, I think there MIGHT be, I've never seen definitive evidence one way or the other. I was open minded when I came to read Kurzweil and other singularity supporters, they won me over. They could be wrong, but they make a lot of sense to me, and I'm generally a skeptic and a realist when it comes to most things.

Quote:
You could not be more wrong. Science isn't done on belief; it is the result of empirical, and repeatable, evidence
Evidence has been and continues to be stated to support the COMING singularity, a lot of it is in this very thread. The EVIDENCE I have observed has led me to believe in the Singularity, or something damn close to it, and that the things and events leading up to it, will most likely occur even if they occur in forms or fashions of varying degrees of differentiation from past and current predictions.

Quote:
That's a non sequitur. In the 70s and into the 80s, computers were very large, and very expensive machines, so there was no reason for the average person to own one.
The Apple II home computer was introduced in 1977. There were early adopters and there were late adopters, my point was few would've foreseen a future wherein it'd be abnormal to not own and regularly use a personal computer, much of our lives today revolve around our computers. They took over the business world and people had to learn them in many companies and offices.

Be a skeptic all you like, most signs and history points to the next 30 years or so ultimately making the world unrecognizable from today, redefining our rate of advancement as compared to our rate of change from throughout history up to present day. You can come back in 30 years and tell us we were wrong if we haven't advanced very much.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
Really? If some new treatment, procedure, or drug kills ONE person it devastates the field possibly indefinitely? I don't think so...it's hard to watch TV and not see a commercial for people to file a lawsuit for this implant or that procedure going wrong or something being recalled, these things were all at some point cleared to be used on the public at large, they weren't perfected, had some defect, and have seriously injured or killed people, but the industries go on even if certain companies might take a hit. You can't watch an advertisement for any new drug it seems without it saying it has the side effect of MAYBE KILLING YOU, seems almost like a standard for all these serious drugs already on the market. I imagine there'll be plenty for whom nanobots don't go so well, but they'll get better over time and many will never have major issues.
Plus the technology is going to come in many small steps that occur faster and faster. So by the time we are at the point computers are the size of blood cells it will be tried and tested technology.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:52 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
Al right, I should have said killed more than one person though it all depends on the number of individuals who are tested. All these companies look at cost benefit rations; if the costs are to high it's less likely they'll be approved. I had already discussed this with Josseppie in which I told him that sometimes even years of testing we'd often see drugs showing health hazards years later from use.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Al right, I should have said killed more than one person though it all depends on the number of individuals who are tested. All these companies look at cost benefit rations; if the costs are to high it's less likely they'll be approved. I had already discussed this with Josseppie in which I told him that sometimes even years of testing we'd often see drugs showing health hazards years later from use.
I still get the impression you think it's going to be one big step that will have to be tested years before we can safely use it. It won't and its going to be multiple steps so by the time its here it will seem normal.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:39 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
If Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory believes in the Singularity, who are we to doubt? Yesterday I saw the episode where he calculates that his expected life span is just short of the earliest predictions for the Singularity to take place and save him from death, so he takes measures to increase his longevity. Funny after reading this thread!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory believes in the Singularity, who are we to doubt? Yesterday I saw the episode where he calculates that his expected life span is just short of the earliest predictions for the Singularity to take place and save him from death, so he takes measures to increase his longevity. Funny after reading this thread!
That brings up a good point. Lately popular culture has begin showing "the singularity" more and more. While they don't use that name what they show are examples of what is going to happen as we get close to the singularity. I know this its not proof it's going to happen but in my opinion shows that its coming more main stream.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I still get the impression you think it's going to be one big step that will have to be tested years before we can safely use it. It won't and its going to be multiple steps so by the time its here it will seem normal.
Actually that seems to be how you think

I have used examples showing that they will be tested for years. For example, the memory implants I've been mentioning are going to be tested on people for 10 years (2015-2025), as well as the small chemo robots I saw on CNN medicine (for about 10 years) and the robotic limbs the pentagon ordered have been testing since 2007 and they're still not in the market. All of this reinforces my view that new technologies will be tested for years.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Actually that seems to be how you think

I have used examples showing that they will be tested for years. For example, the memory implants I've been mentioning are going to be tested on people for 10 years (2015-2025), as well as the small chemo robots I saw on CNN medicine (for about 10 years) and the robotic limbs the pentagon ordered have been testing since 2007 and they're still not in the market. All of this reinforces my view that new technologies will be tested for years.
That is another one of our disagreements.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is another one of our disagreements.
The difference being that I have evidence to back my view while you have desire and speculation on your side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology