Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 09:43 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else sick of hearing these phrases?

~ Most scientists think XXXXXXXX

~ Most scientists believe XXXXXXXX

Great moments in failed predictions

Great moments in failed predictions | Watts Up With That?

Top 30 Failed Technology Predictions

Top 30 Failed Technology*Predictions - Listverse

10 Famous Science Predictions that Failed to Come True

Scientists’ Pride and Failed Predictions from the New York Academy of Sciences

Scientists’ Pride and Failed Predictions from the New York Academy of Sciences | Brain World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 12:07 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,469,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Great moments in failed predictions

Great moments in failed predictions | Watts Up With That?

Top 30 Failed Technology Predictions

Top 30 Failed Technology*Predictions - Listverse

Scientists’ Pride and Failed Predictions from the New York Academy of Sciences

Scientists’ Pride and Failed Predictions from the New York Academy of Sciences | Brain World
Thanks for posting this as they are great examples of what I always post. How it is impossible to predict with any certainty anything other then how information technology will advance. In fact in the future when people ask me for examples of what is not predictable I will use what you posted here.

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-16-2013 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 12:12 PM

Here is yet another example of computers getting smaller. This time it is x ray machines the size of smart phones.

Doctors and dentists take millions of X-rays globally each year. Governments use X-rays to scan luggage and shipping containers for hazardous materials. Yet the technology underlying X-ray machines hasn’t changed much in the last hundred years.

We still accelerate electrons through glass vacuum tubes and slam them into material at the end to produce X-rays. The machines are bulky, fragile, and expensive.

But that may not hold true much longer. A California startup called Tribogenics is using a novel method of producing X-rays, fleshed out by Darpa-funded research at UCLA, to make X-ray emitters sturdier and more portable.

The link: California Startup, Tribogenics, Develops Smart Phone Sized Portable X-ray Machines | Singularity Hub

Old 11-18-2013, 01:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
For those of us who are aware about the ideas behind the Singularity, "transhumanism", post-scarcity, and how things could be rapidly converging to a point where things could likely become way better than anything we've ever imagined, why do you think the majority of our fellow human travelers have not even heard of or given thought about it yet? Would the world experience any changes if people became more aware of what may lead to happen, with sufficient collaborative effort?
As a human i wonder if we are even going to be invited to the"way better than anything we've ever imagined", party, it maybe a closed affair for AI's only.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As a human i wonder if we are even going to be invited to the"way better than anything we've ever imagined", party, it maybe a closed affair for AI's only.
Humans will have the choice if they want to join the party by deciding if they want to merge with the technology or not. If they choose to then they will be at the party if they choose not too then they will be left out. Personally I will be merging with the technology and plan on being the life of the party. Well at least in my own VR world.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Here is yet another example of computers getting smaller. This time it is x ray machines the size of smart phones.

Doctors and dentists take millions of X-rays globally each year. Governments use X-rays to scan luggage and shipping containers for hazardous materials. Yet the technology underlying X-ray machines hasn’t changed much in the last hundred years.

We still accelerate electrons through glass vacuum tubes and slam them into material at the end to produce X-rays. The machines are bulky, fragile, and expensive.

But that may not hold true much longer. A California startup called Tribogenics is using a novel method of producing X-rays, fleshed out by Darpa-funded research at UCLA, to make X-ray emitters sturdier and more portable.

The link: California Startup, Tribogenics, Develops Smart Phone Sized Portable X-ray Machines | Singularity Hub
Technology always improves, so whats the big deal here?

Another indication of "THE SINGULARITY"???

Last edited by plwhit; 11-18-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Technology always improves, so whats the big deal here?

Another indication of "THE SINGULARITY"???
You are correct technology always improves and information technology advances at a exponential rate. All the singularity is the point in time when computers merge with humans enough to change society dramatically. That will happen by 2030. That is basically it not some cosmic event that on the surface it sounds like it is.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
You are correct technology always improves and information technology advances at a exponential rate. All the singularity is the point in time when computers merge with humans enough to change society dramatically. That will happen by 2030. That is basically it not some cosmic event that on the surface it sounds like it is.
As has been stated numerous times this singularity garbage is nothing more than the quackery that has been pervasive throughout Mankind's history.

And just like previous laughable projections it seems that these singularity soothsayers can't make up their minds as to when it's going to occur, witness:

Quote:
Kurzweil describes his law of accelerating returns which predicts an exponential increase in technologies like computers, genetics, nanotechnology, robotics and artificial intelligence. He says this will lead to a technological singularity in the year 2045, a point where progress is so rapid it outstrips humans' ability to comprehend it. Irreversibly transformed, people will augment their minds and bodies with genetic alterations, nanotechnology, and artificial intelligence.
Not to mention these quacks have the unmitigated gall to think this computer intelligence will "take over the universe/multiverse"...

Quote:
Once the Singularity has been reached, Kurzweil predicts machine intelligence will be quintillions times more powerful than all human intelligence combined. Afterwards, Kurzweil says, intelligence will radiate outward from the planet until it saturates the universe.
The Singularity Is Near - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This type of thinking only belongs in some cheap fantasy rag...

Old 11-19-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
As has been stated numerous times this singularity garbage is nothing more than the quackery that has been pervasive throughout Mankind's history.

And just like previous laughable projections it seems that these singularity soothsayers can't make up their minds as to when it's going to occur, witness:

Not to mention these quacks have the unmitigated gall to think this computer intelligence will "take over the universe/multiverse"...

The Singularity Is Near - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This type of thinking only belongs in some cheap fantasy rag...
Let me ask you one question:

Since the first modern computer was built in 1890 two things have been constant:

1) They have been advancing exponentially going through different paradigms:

A) Electromechanical.
B) Relay.
C) Vacuum Tube.
D) Transistor.
E) Integrated Circuit, the current paradigm.

2) Since the 1960's computers have been getting smaller and faster.

For example:

In the 1960's computers were the size of buildings yet powerful as NASA used them to get us to the moon.
In the 1970's computers were the size of rooms. I know because my dads company had one.
In the 1980's computers fit on our desks, desk tops. I had my first one in the early 1980's.
In the 1990's computers fit on our laps, lap tops. I got one in 1991 when I went to college.
In 2005 we got the smart phone and it has thousands of times more processing capability then all of NASA in the 1960's. I got my first Blackberry shortly after and today I have the I Phone with Siri. Siri is basic AI.
Today we have Google glasses and that is what I want to get next year. This is the paradigm shift that is currently taking place to wearable computers.

Here is a story on that and it has nothing to do with Ray Kurzweil:

SAN FRANCISCO — The digital domain is creeping off our desktops and onto our bodies, from music players that match your tunes to your heart beat, to mood sweaters that change color depending on your emotional state.

Last year, the market for wearable technology — encompassing everything from hearing aids to wristband pedometers — totaled almost $9 billion. That should climb to $30 billion by 2018, said analyst Shane Walker at IHS Global Insights.

See more at: http://www.chieftain.com/business/te....d2maYLYB.dpuf

So my question is do you think computers will stop advancing or slow down to the point that in the next decade, by 2030, humans don't merge with them? If so why?

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-19-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Let me ask you one question:

Since the first modern computer was built in 1890 two things have been constant:

1) They have been advancing exponentially going through different paradigms:

A) Electromechanical.
B) Relay.
C) Vacuum Tube.
D) Transistor.
E) Integrated Circuit, the current paradigm.

2) Since the 1960's computers have been getting smaller and faster.

For example:

In the 1960's computers were the size of buildings yet powerful as NASA used them to get us to the moon.
In the 1970's computers were the size of rooms. I know because my dads company had one.
In the 1980's computers fit on our desks, desk tops. I had my first one in the early 1980's.
In the 1990's computers fit on our laps, lap tops. I got one in 1991 when I went to college.
In 2005 we got the smart phone and it has thousands of times more processing capability then all of NASA in the 1960's. I got my first Blackberry shortly after and today I have the I Phone with Siri. Siri is basic AI.
Today we have Google glasses and that is what I want to get next year. This is the paradigm shift that is currently taking place to wearable computers.

Here is a story on that and it has nothing to do with Ray Kurzweil:

SAN FRANCISCO — The digital domain is creeping off our desktops and onto our bodies, from music players that match your tunes to your heart beat, to mood sweaters that change color depending on your emotional state.

Last year, the market for wearable technology — encompassing everything from hearing aids to wristband pedometers — totaled almost $9 billion. That should climb to $30 billion by 2018, said analyst Shane Walker at IHS Global Insights.

See more at: The Pueblo Chieftain |

So my question is do you think computers will stop advancing or slow down to the point that in the next decade, by 2030, humans don't merge with them? If so why?
Excellent deflection to my post...

And I see the dates projected by the singularity crowd vary by up to 15 years....

As I've repeatedly said, "experts" of all types have been so dead wrong with their "predictions" over the centuries it's laughable...

Nope, I believe the Grays from Altair4 will land on Earth and sign the Galactic Grand Alliance long before Human Beings merge with computers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology