Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,456,482 times

Advertisements

I do not start threads all that often in here but I decided to this morning on this word:

Exponential

This is why humans are where we are today and why we are progressing at such a rate that we advance faster then most people, even scientists, think we will. Why is it that even today most people underestimate the impacts of exponential growth and why when you talk about it everyone agrees that we have progressed exponentially but when you talk about the future say oh it won't continue? I find this fascinating and have a hard time explaining it and the implications to people, at least with out them getting mad or looking at me like I am weird.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
Exponential what?

The birth rate has been decreasing for the past decade with no sign of increase....

World - Birth rate - Historical Data Graphs per Year

When was the last scientific breakthrough that benefited all of mankind?

3D TV?

Internet ready vehicles?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM

Humans advance at a exponential rate especially information technology. This is a proven fact yet even scientists do not get it when they look at the future. That is what I am referring to.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Exponential what?

The birth rate has been decreasing for the past decade with no sign of increase....

World - Birth rate - Historical Data Graphs per Year

When was the last scientific breakthrough that benefited all of mankind?

3D TV?

Internet ready vehicles?
Seriously? I know darn well you read enough to know better than that.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Seriously? I know darn well you read enough to know better than that.
"most people underestimate the impacts of exponential growth" could mean anything....

This to me would be an example of exponential growth.....

Invisibility Tech Demo Tomorrow In NYC

Invisibility Tech Demo Tomorrow In NYC - Slashdot

Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Not talking about exponential growth. I'm talking about your comment in bold in the post previous to mine.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 AM

I mean it as it applies to technology. I talk to people about how technology has advanced in the past and everyone agrees with how fast it has and how the world has changed. Then when I apply the same principles using exponential as the reason they laugh or get mad at me. So I just don't understand why people can't grasp the concept of exponential advancement.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 PM

You might define exponential for them. Their laughter may be masking a lack of understanding.

I'm not joking.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
I think that the reason that people doubt future exponential growth is that all exponential growth has to eventually saturate when it runs in to physical limitations. Moore's law is an example of exponential growth that will begin to slow (as transistors can't be smaller than atoms); similarly technological progress on Earth will likely have to slow at some point.

That doesn't mean that it has to slow in the near- or medium- term, though. I think one of the reasons people are hesitant to predict continued exponential growth is that they don't know what that growth will look like, exactly, so it is difficult to picture it and thus easy to discount it.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think that the reason that people doubt future exponential growth is that all exponential growth has to eventually saturate when it runs in to physical limitations. Moore's law is an example of exponential growth that will begin to slow (as transistors can't be smaller than atoms); similarly technological progress on Earth will likely have to slow at some point.

That doesn't mean that it has to slow in the near- or medium- term, though. I think one of the reasons people are hesitant to predict continued exponential growth is that they don't know what that growth will look like, exactly, so it is difficult to picture it and thus easy to discount it.
There's an out in that statement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology