Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 AM

19 posts, read 38,879 times

Advertisements

we are coming out in a few months to check out the area before committing to a move. on the list to check out, thanks to input here on city data, are renton, burien, kent, auburn, etc.

we like being near a big city (currently live 20 miles from philly) but don't want to be right on top of neighbors. we prefer rural areas but also like hip/up and coming areas (we are torn on this one and i'm hoping this visit will solidify which we'll focus on). we would wither and die in a cookie cutter suburb. i'll be working in renton, hubby can telecommute.

budget would be 225,000-275,000 and we are very okay with major renovation if the area is right and the bones of the house are good. no kids and don't expect any so schools aren't a major concern.

i just came across the enumclaw area. it seems very affordable, nice rural setting and it appears to be about 20-25 miles from where i'll be working. does anyone know what this area is like? we love older homes and it seems to have a restored downtown area - but is it like "deliverance"? i certainly wouldn't want to be too isolated.

any tid bits or advice on other areas would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:10 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,363,905 times
The good:
I was in downtown Enumclaw recently and I was impressed. Cool old buildings, and some nice places to eat, drink microbrews, and shop. Aaron Brenner's Bakery. He's from a baker family that goes back 100 years in the Seattle area, and they make the best rye bread around. Enumclaw is also close to the mountains, so that makes it pretty It's mostly pretty rural, but it's close enough to Auburn which has an outlet mall and major stores.

The bad:
Enumclaw has a reputation of being kinda Deliverance like. When locals think of Enumclaw they think about the news story a few years back about the farm where people paid to have sex with horses, and how one guy died as a result.
Enumclaw also gets a little more intense weather than Seattle. A bit more rain, a bit more snow, a bit more wind. I think if Mt. Rainer erupts, Enumclaw could get buried in mud.

Where else to think about?
Black Diamond: Also rural, and closer to Renton. They have a 100+ year old bakery that makes the best pies I've ever eaten ( tells you what I think about). Also with cool old houses. A former coal mining town, as is Renton.

Des Moines: The downtown area is just charming as all get out. It's on Puget Sound, has an old single screen movie theatre, walkable to supermarkets and restaurants. Doesn't have a ton of really old homes, but makes up for that in small town charm.

North Tacoma: Seattle folks make fun of Tacoma based on what it used to be, not realizing that some areas in Tacoma are just pretty, cool, and hip, without being really crowded. The Proctor District there is insanely nice. Old Town and Ruston/Point Defiance are also lovely areas. Might be pushing the 20 mile limit, but you get more and nicer homes for your money there, along with water views and all kinds of activities going on.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:48 AM

19 posts, read 38,879 times
i have to admit i was hoping you would respond to this, ira500!!! you've given some great advice (to me and others) and i think we have similar taste in places.
i just read that you came from jersey? i currently live in mullica hill, nj (exit 2) - far form where you came from but you may be familiar with it.
i really appreciate the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area