Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,407 times

Advertisements

Employer forced this move. We don't know anyone there, coming from ATL.

We need some family friendly rental locations in the city

and a good high school for our son.

We are looking to spend $1500 for 2 bedroom/2 bath

:in an area we can walk in at night.

Please offer any suggestions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:38 PM

33 posts, read 116,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercer.b View Post
Employer forced this move. We don't know anyone there, coming from ATL.

We need some family friendly rental locations in the city

and a good high school for our son.

We are looking to spend $1500 for 2 bedroom/2 bath

:in an area we can walk in at night.

Please offer any suggestions.

Thanks
I put your constraints in trulia.com and found more than a hundred apartment listings without really trying. If you can fly in or stay in temporary housing before signing a lease, a lot of smaller rentals are only advertised by a sign in the yard and might easily be in your price range. This will also give you a chance to eyeball neighborhoods. Don't forget about craigslist, but if it seems too good to be true on craigslist, you're probably right.

redfin.com shows schools and their greatschools rating (1-10). Just search for big houses for $50,000 and they won't show you any results, but you can still see the school locations and the ratings.

There are some recent threads in this subforum where people are talking about neighborhoods they like and dislike. Go looking for those and mark up a street map of the Seattle area.

One really important question: where's the office? If you can avoid crossing a bridge on your commute you'll be happier.

A last detail, I'm a big fan of being able to walk from my home and see more than other houses in the development. Seattle, Washington Neighborhoods on Walk Score is a pretty cool heatmap that lets you visualize the scores, or you can enter the specific address to get the actual score (and lots of info about local businesses, etc.)

Good luck!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Where did you find anything in Seattle with 2br/2 ba for $1,500? I put that in and came up with none found. Generally a decent place in Seattle is going to run that much for 1 BR.

As for schools, Seattle has it's problems, currently if I still had kids that age would move to Ballard, Magnolia or Queen Anne, or go for a private school.

There are far better schools on the east side, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah and Sammamish, but then you have a long commute over a bridge and home prices are even higher. The best schools are always in the highest priced areas.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,468 times
Avoid downtown areas, Capital Hill, Magnolia, Queen Ann. Look for areas in West Seattle, Ballard, and Wallingford, they are more 'family friendly'. If you want better schools, go to the suburbs, like Shoreline, Bellevue, Mercer Island, Kirkland, or Bothel.
Your going to have difficulty finding a two bedroom, two bath place for $1500. What your looking for will cost you more like $2000 -$3000.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:37 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
$1500/mo for a 2brm/ba seems reasonable. Question is, how far are you willing to commute?

Contrary to what the previous poster says, it is *very* possible to find a place (with 2bd/ba) for $1500/mo in the suburbs with great schools. Check out CraigsList as well.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:47 PM

33 posts, read 116,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Where did you find anything in Seattle with 2br/2 ba for $1,500? I put that in and came up with none found. Generally a decent place in Seattle is going to run that much for 1 BR.

As for schools, Seattle has it's problems, currently if I still had kids that age would move to Ballard, Magnolia or Queen Anne, or go for a private school.

There are far better schools on the east side, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah and Sammamish, but then you have a long commute over a bridge and home prices are even higher. The best schools are always in the highest priced areas.
I suspect you're being too literal. I understood the OP to be asking about the Seattle metropolitan area (i.e. commute distance from Seattle), and not just the incorporated city of Seattle.

183 apartments found in a quick trulia.com search.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
You want a great high school for your kid?

Live in Bellevue.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 AM

282 posts, read 806,905 times
Bellevue and Issaquah are typically known for the "best schools." As long as you're a bit flexible, you should definitely be able to find a 2/2 for 1500 a month.

The only caveat is the "walking at night" part. Do you mean to just take an evening stroll? Or do you mean walking distance to food, entertainment, etc.? Keep in mind that these types of walkable communities are rare on the east-side (simply meaning east of Lake Washington). Ideally, a car or use of public transportation will be needed to get around. The advantages are of course the better schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area