Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM

260 posts, read 757,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Seattle is also known for its extreme, insane liberalism and armpit hippies.

And alot of people welcome that and accept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 06:40 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
To describe someone as liberal or a hippy is all relative. While you can find that here too, it's not nearly to the extent I was expecting when I first moved here. JMO. Plenty of folks in the middle of the spectrum to be found all over town.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
I've heard that Seattle is for lutefisk lovers, that instead of french fries all the fastfood joints offer a side of quivering, smelly lutefisk. I guess it has something to do with the large population of Scandinavians? Can anyone confirm that?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:14 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
To describe someone as liberal or a hippy is all relative. While you can find that here too, it's not nearly to the extent I was expecting when I first moved here. JMO. Plenty of folks in the middle of the spectrum to be found all over town.

Yeah, but if you ain't a liberal ..............well you better keep your mouth shut.

Liberals believe in the freedom of speech...........as long as it is speech they believe in......this goes double for Seattle.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,272 times
I'm from Wyoming and I hunt elk, pronghorn, deer & birds and I was quite happy with all the seafood and meat at the restaurants in Seattle. Seattle is like the 23rd largest city in the U.S. I think you can find just about anything you want in a city this large. Also, I was duped into eating at a vegan restaurant while there called Cafe Flora. It was actually pretty good.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I've heard that Seattle is for lutefisk lovers, that instead of french fries all the fastfood joints offer a side of quivering, smelly lutefisk. I guess it has something to do with the large population of Scandinavians? Can anyone confirm that?
It's true. When you order fish and chips at any fish and chip joint in Seattle, you simply get a plate of quivering, smelly lutefisk. If you complain, you'll hear " Eat it and like it, Sven."
And...next Saturday July 9th, the Ballard Seafood festival has their annual lutefisk eating contest. I'll be there, having finished second last year, this year going for the gusto.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:46 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's true. When you order fish and chips at any fish and chip joint in Seattle, you simply get a plate of quivering, smelly lutefisk. If you complain, you'll hear " Eat it and like it, Sven."
And...next Saturday July 9th, the Ballard Seafood festival has their annual lutefisk eating contest. I'll be there, having finished second last year, this year going for the gusto.
Heh! "Sit down, be quiet and eat your lutefisk!"

Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 AM

968 posts, read 2,062,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Seattle is also known for its extreme, insane liberalism and armpit hippies.
Second to Portland.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I've been here 18 years and have yet to even see lutefisk on a menu. Yes, it's popular with the local scandenavians but pretty limited to a few specialty places. You can get fish & chips in cod, halibut, pollock or salmon.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:07 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I've been here 18 years and have yet to even see lutefisk on a menu. Yes, it's popular with the local scandenavians but pretty limited to a few specialty places. You can get fish & chips in cod, halibut, pollock or salmon.
You know, even among Scandinavians lutefisk is not popular. It's eaten at Christmas, because it's a tradition, not because anybody actually likes it.
I don't think any restaurants serve it, because it would spoil. But would anybody be able to tell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area