Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:34 PM

84 posts, read 214,976 times

Advertisements

I confess, I have been debating moving to Seattle or Phoenix (Tempe) and have decided on Seattle, so I don't really need reasons why I should move... I need help with neighborhoods. Right now I live in Atlanta, GA and Atlanta has a lot of places to live (Decatur, Marietta, Sandy Springs, Buckhead, Dunwoody, Lake Claire, Little 5 Points, etc...) and I know that Seattle also has a lot of neighborhoods. I have heard that Queen Anne, Ballard and Fremont are good places, but please help me find a neighborhood based on the following:

1. I am a part time yoga teacher, so I want to live close to yoga studios
2. I do have a car so I don't mind driving, or using public transportation
3. I travel a lot, so I don't want to live too far from the major airport
4. I love to walk, so I want to live in a walkable neighborhood or close walk/drive to a park.
5. Whole Foods, I have to live close to a Whole Foods, although they are probably all over Seattle.
6. I prefer a quiet neighborhood
7. I work from home and usually go out after work around 6pm, go out meaning running errands, teach yoga, shopping, so I don't want to get stuck in rush hour commuting into the city
8. I can live near all ages, cultures, etc... I just don't like loud, rude people hanging outside all the time.....
9. I love to shop, this is optional.. nice shopping nearby
10. Overall, quiet place, walkable, nice people....
11. I am single, and will be living alone, I can afford $1000 for rent, prefer a 2 bedroom or large 1 bedroom

Any ideas! I am going to be making a trip in February to find a place and then move.... also, if you suggest a neighborhood, please offer any ideas on where to look for rentals. I plan to rent first then buy if I like it there.... that's later, 2 - 3 years down the road.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Hmm... Why limit yourself on Whole Foods? Its not as green as people like to believe and doesn't support the local farming community. We do have other options, such as PCC (which is all over Seattle), Uwajimaya, even Trader Joe's, Metropolitan Market. Our grocery stores also have organic food sections as well. Seattle has 3... it's more positioned toward the north.

For 1K/mo, you would be sacrificing a lot in Queen Anne... like possibly, space, parking slot for your car, et. c... however it does fit almost all the other wants. Capitol Hill... same issues, especially more so on parking. Ballard/Fremont could work... probably a little better if you upped your budget (to say... 1200/mo). Ravenna could work as well.

Definitely look into West Seattle, Columbia City, some parts of Beacon Hill... they would provide almost all you want except for the Whole Foods (as mentioned earlier, we have other options).

Old 01-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Whole Foods is all I know in terms of organic food, I have been to Trader Joe's too... but if there are other organic food stores, please, point me to them! I am not limited to Whole Foods! Also, $1200 would be my max for rent! I need to have a budget for myself

Old 01-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Lower Queen Ann or Belltown keeps you close to the Whole Foods at Interbay, and for the air travel you can hop onto the light rail at 3rd & Pine
(Westlake). There are loud and rude people in that area near the transit tunnel so don't live close to Westlake. You don't want to live near the airport.
The best place for you that meets all of your needs would be Ballard, but it's more expensive.

For the $1,000 you would be really lucky to find a decent 2 bedroom, most will be 1 or even studios at that price in any safe part of Seattle.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:45 PM

Looks like I have to increase my rental budget... I would be willing to spend more for rent if the location is good for me!

Old 01-15-2012, 03:14 PM

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Look at Bellevue. There is a Whole Foods a little ways east of downtown Bellevue, and a new WH-style store on Bellevue Way in a former Safeway store. Tons of yuppies, which I presume would translate to good demand for yoga teachers. I live near Bellevue Way and SE 3rd and there are several yoga shops within walking distance.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
... I doubt she can find something close to Bellevue DT for 1K/mo. Her odds would be better looking for something close to the Kirkland DT/waterfront. But yes, those 2 cities would also fit what she wants.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,414 times
I think that you might like Shoreline, actually. Personally, I think Central Market or Metropolitan Market blow Whole Foods out of the water, but that's my own opinion. I am in love with Central Market's deli and bakery so that's probably the basis of my bias.

Home at Shoreline Central Market

Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 PM

Is Shoreline a nice place to live? And Bellevue, where is quiet place to live there? How is Normandy Park? Is it nice too? I started to look at places in Ballard and Magnolia, the rents are high.... Is the University District a nice place to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area