Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Wallingford. It used to be an affordable, blue-collar neighborhood.

Now..........haha, forget it, housing prices on-par with many S Cal cities......full of perfumed yuppies. Nice area.....I could not afford to live there. Go to Zillow and check out the prices on RE, yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
Quote:
Kayela, which are the neighborhoods on the eastside that you'd like?

And not sure what it is about Wallingford - I guess it's just one of the few neighborhoods I had actually driven through on my 1 trip to Seattle, and thought it was quite charming. I liked the little shops and restaurants and tree-lined streets. Seemed very "stroll-able" if you know what I mean. I also liked that it had easy access to downtown, but was still a bit removed. Seemed like the best of both worlds. Based on that, any other suggestions of where I would look that would have similar things, but maybe minus the commute over the 520 to Bellevue?
And it is all those things, but you did ask what people don't like about it...

What matters is what YOU like. And if you drove through Wallingford and it felt right to you, then maybe you should give it a shot. Worst case - you decide the commute is crap and move closer, best case - you find a place that's a great fit for you. If you can I'd recommend doing a dry run (commute to the eastside from the DT Wallingford area around 8 am and then back around 5) and seeing if it's something you think you could be fine with, but chances are it's not going to be so painful that you couldn't live with it for the duration of a lease.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grlintheworld View Post
anything you guys DON'T like about living in Wallingford?
The parts of Wallingford on Hwy 99 are kinda "skanky" or "transitional", the parts adjacent to I-5 are noisy and too close to the University District.
There's only one supermarket in Wallingford. The U District nearby has some, Fremont nearby has a couple, nearby Phinney has one, but you'd think that everyone in the neighborhood went out to eat all the time.
But I see more things to like than dislike about Wallingford.
...And before Tobester beats me to it here, may I suggest Columbia City?
It's south of I-90, but not too far, so it wouldn't be too hard to get to Bellevue, and it's in one of the most diverse zipcodes in the United States, which makes it a fun and interesting neighborhood, with a very good bakery and restaurants ranging from Mexican to Italian to Thai to Ethiopian to Middle Eastern to vegetarian.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Sure - the druggies in woodlawn park, the east edge is kinda scuzzy, the parts along 99 are also kinda sketchy, it's only walkable in certain areas and there's a never ending line of cars crawling through on their way to Fremont, Ballard or Greenlake. The traffic is nasty for such a relatively residential place, and unless you live near i-5 or 99, it's a pain getting in and out. It's got some cute restaurants and shopping (Chocolatti!), but you'll probably be going elsewhere for entertainment. Transit is really only good to DT and the adjacent neighborhoods. It's definitely got 'pros' to balance out some of that, and I think Ira has those mostly covered, but those are the aspects I don't like.

For me personally it doesn't have enough in the way of urban amenities to balance out the inconvenience and cost of the commute. If I wanted to live in a neighborhood of mostly houses with a walkable core - I'd move back to the eastside and save $2K a year in tolls or bus fare (plus gas). That's my personal opinion though.

Out of all Seattle's neighborhoods what has you so taken with the idea of Wallingford?
Scuzzy and sketchy are strong words to use there. Yes, the traffic is annoying, but a lot of people view Wallingford as a safe, beautiful residential neighborhood with a great "main street"-style commercial strip. There actually are some cool neighborhood bars (Al's, Grizzled Wizard, Kate's, Rain, etc), a lot of good restaurants, lots of functional stores. It is not the most exciting area by any stretch, but it's a very nice place to live, and is actually centrally located within the activity centers North of the ship canal.

Also, there are no neighborhoods on the Eastside like Wallingford. I can't think of anywhere on the Eastside with that kind of extended Main Street with block after block of unique local shops and restaurants.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 AM

72 posts, read 147,796 times
urgh - why can't my new (awesome) job just be on the Seattle side?!?!?!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
Quote:
urgh - why can't my new (awesome) job just be on the Seattle side?!?!?!
There a lots of Seattle-to-Eastside commuters (I am one of them when I need to go to work - I telecommute some). As Ira mentioned, I live near Columbia City in the Seward Park area. It's not a bad commute to Bellevue. You can drive (has become a little more crowded with 520 tolls), take the bus (about an hour from my home in Seward Park to the Eastgate area) or bike (a little over an hour on the same route, depending on your prowess and I lost my prowess long ago). And, yes, check out Columbia City - it has all you want: walkable, quiet and a quick jump on I90.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 AM

72 posts, read 147,796 times
Tell me more about Columbia City - I read that there can still be some shady activity around, despite the recent revitalization? It does seem like a nice walkable neighborhood, though...

Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
Quote:
Tell me more about Columbia City - I read that there can still be some shady activity around, despite the recent revitalization? It does seem like a nice walkable neighborhood, though...
Columbia City, Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's very walkable ... many great restaurants, bars, pubs, clubs. One of the best farmer's markets (in the warmer months), right on bus line. Fairly close to Lake Washington. There's probably shady activity in every neighborhood of Seattle. I've lived in South Seattle for 25 years and never been affected or seen any shady activity. I guess if you look for it, you can find it.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
anything you guys DON'T like about living in Wallingford?
I do not like the central part at all. The areas near the lake or near Green Lake are cool, but too much traffic, too "cold" of neighborhood. I like the Phinney and Greenwood suggestions above. They have nice restaurants and decent nightlife and better / more affordable housing options.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
I like the Tanleytown neighborhood within Wallingford. Perfect for someone in their 30s. Have some cofffe at Zoka, take a walk around Green Lake. Beer at the pub. Amazing sushi place for dinner.

Hmmmm...I might have just laid out my plans for the sunny weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area