Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:24 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

Probably, like me, want to be in a major city on the Left Coast, by a huge body of saltwater, but can't afford the major cities in Coastal California.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
As someone else said, get your money and get out. This is a great place to live while you're working. Once you're ready to be done with it or to take a smaller role, get out and move somewhere else. The reason this city is so perpetually "young" in vibe and culture is because once people have taken enough money from the employers here that offer the big bucks, they bail. I'll be no different, as will most people.
Which explains your posts, your lack of commitment to the preservation of the area, your anti-tax sentiment since you've said you plan to leave and return to your native land, etc.

It's fine, nothing illegal about what you're doing but definitely puts your perspective into context is all. Someone who is committed to the area may feel very differently.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Which explains your posts, your lack of commitment to the preservation of the area, your anti-tax sentiment since you've said you plan to leave and return to your native land, etc.

It's fine, nothing illegal about what you're doing but definitely puts your perspective into context is all. Someone who is committed to the area may feel very differently.
Isn't lot of what we're describing also about a "generational" difference in attitudes towards mobility, loyalty, work ethic, ambition, "meaning", etc.? For example, let's face it, all those Microsoft offices still lit up at 2 in the morning, ain't exactly about having a traditional "family life"!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Isn't lot of what we're describing also about a "generational" difference in attitudes towards mobility, loyalty, work ethic, ambition, "meaning", etc.? For example, let's face it, all those Microsoft offices still lit up at 2 in the morning, ain't exactly about having a traditional "family life"!
True enough. And if they're not in the Microsoft offices, they are working 24/7 from home. But that's true for most large companies not just Microsoft.

There are definitely generational influences but there are also those that have a mindset that the only perspective that matters is the short term and if they are here for a limited period of time, they don't care what happens to the ferries, the roads, the schools or anything else.

Last edited by Seacove; 06-18-2012 at 08:22 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylee View Post
Maryville University. They gave me a gigantic scholarship and I was accepted into their "honors" program, but because of its location (and me not driving), I had pretty much NOTHING TO DO except hang out in the student center and eat pop tarts. Vibrant it was not!
May I suggest you start on a reading list such as this one, this one, or this one?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM

84 posts, read 170,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I mean, I have not been to Seattle. But it just comes off to me as a city that a lot of people would move to if they wanted to "get away" from the rest of America and yet still live near a large city, if you know what I mean.
If you break it down that simply, that's one reason I'm moving to Seattle.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM

84 posts, read 170,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm in the Washington, D.C. area. California, Nevada and Arizona are the only states I've been to west of the Mississippi.
It amazes me all these people from D.C. moving to Seattle. I might as well stay in D.C. if everyone else is going to move. It's like graduating high school. You think you're leaving everyone you went to high school with but then the vast majority of the people you were trying to get away from get accepted to the same in state school lol. I hope I don't drive 2700 miles just to end up in D.C. again...

Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubey21 View Post
It amazes me all these people from D.C. moving to Seattle. I might as well stay in D.C. if everyone else is going to move. It's like graduating high school. You think you're leaving everyone you went to high school with but then the vast majority of the people you were trying to get away from get accepted to the same in state school lol. I hope I don't drive 2700 miles just to end up in D.C. again...
Some places do go thru "trendy" periods, but a lot of those new "immigrants" don't always "take" and they eventually end up moving on to some new "paradise". And as a friend once described Seattle and its infamous weather, "it's like being married to beautiful woman.... who always has a headache!"

Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubey21 View Post
I know the feeling. I'm from DC and want to move to Seattle, but that's so I can get away from the bull.... of DC - and for that matter - the East Coast. And if human nature runs its course, all the transplants will do is bring their "DC ways" with them. And if that's the case, especially if they're trying to make Seattle more like DC, then I'll pass. I've lived with the DMV's snobbishness, rudeness, misandry, preppishness, yuppiness, bourgieness, covert racism, and passive aggressivenes for long enough. Don't take that crap to a truly progressive part of the country and screw Seattle up (just like you East Coast and Midwest transplants screwed up SF and LA). And for God sakes Seattle residents, don't ever become like DC in any fashion.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I know the feeling. I'm from DC and want to move to Seattle, but that's so I can get away from the bull.... of DC - and for that matter - the East Coast. And if human nature runs its course, all the transplants will do is bring their "DC ways" with them. And if that's the case, especially if they're trying to make Seattle more like DC, then I'll pass. I've lived with the DMV's snobbishness, rudeness, misandry, preppishness, yuppiness, bourgieness, covert racism, and passive aggressivenes for long enough. Don't take that crap to a truly progressive part of the country and screw Seattle up (just like you East Coast and Midwest transplants screwed up SF and LA). And for God sakes Seattle residents, don't ever become like DC in any fashion.
Really? You think *that's* what screwed San Francisco up? Wow.

And Seattle has the trademark on passive aggressiveness, so that will fit right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area