Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:50 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times

Advertisements

I think the skyline of Seattle is pretty nice. Such a serene kind of beauty to it.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:55 PM

80 posts, read 193,096 times
I moved here for the weather (no, seriously) and the mountains.

And because Seattle's economy is better than Portland's (the other possibility).

Love the PNW, but I have to be near/in a good sized city for my job.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM

156 posts, read 195,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
And for God sakes Seattle residents, don't ever become like DC in any fashion.
OH! How they try! How they try!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM

83 posts, read 176,350 times
Let me give you an opinion of someone who doesn't live there and wants to move to Seattle. As well as I've never been there, but I'm saving up for a trip this summer.

I currently live in Oklahoma, but I grew up in Texas some in Dallas but mostly Houston. I've always been fascinated with major cities, skylines, and architecture. Also I love scenery, mountains, tall trees, oceans, lakes, etc... I've looked over every major city in the US and Seattle just seems to get me. I think that's the way most people feel that are in their twenties and are looking to move there. I'm also obsessed with seafood and I've heard they have one of the best markets in the US there. All around it gives me everything I want, while every other city seems to give me just part of it.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,778,682 times
Mountains, lakes, oceans, rivers, big trees. A little snow and few mosquitoes. Fresh salmon available all summer. And 6 hour direct flights to Hawaii.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
If it's unspoken, then I haven't heard of it.

Maybe some demographics? I know quite a few people that have moved to Washington to get to an area with different cultural make-up. Mostly people from California/Texas that kind of equate living in those states as living abroad. Also know a few (ex-military) that stayed because the firearms laws aren't as restrictive as other areas (one from Massachussetts and a couple from California). One guy I know is contemplating moving to WA because he can have his car registered here, but in CA it isn't considered street legal.
Those kinds of reasons?
I'd like to know what loophole allows a car to be registered in WA but not CA. I suspect it's got something to do with excessive noise, air pollution, or both, neither of which are honorable reasons.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,848 times
Default Whiteness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, what do you think? Is it something that is just not talked about openly?
Speaking for myself, the big draw of the Pacific Northwest is the high ratio of whites to other groups, plus the scenery (when weather allows).

I am burned out on "diversity" which too often manifests itself as crime and/or a culture of hanging out in the yard making a bunch of racket. Yes, I know certain types of white people do that, but there are general behaviors that closely fit stereotypes in the real world. Political-correctness sheds light on nothing.

The cloudy weather seems like the price one has to pay for escape to WhiteLand. I suspect certain ethnic groups require more sunshine, biologically, than others. Or warmer temperatures, at least. I have been long debating whether the crummy weather for much of the year justifies the escape-factor.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 PM

346 posts, read 968,531 times
nvm

Last edited by isaackko; 06-21-2012 at 07:31 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 PM

510 posts, read 889,531 times
ca_north, I'm not sure the exact reason for the vehicle. I think it was mainly emissions--something like an emission inspection is required for all cars on the roads in the entirety of CA, but in WA only in King/Pierce/Snohomish counties. The car would've had to be used on a track only if it stayed in CA. Does this sound about right?
As for the other reason you mentioned for considering a move--diversity, it is big in the cities, but not big in numbers in the rural areas--but the small amount is very visible.
In the cities, you would be getting something of everything--black, asian, middle eastern and hispanic. In the small towns the hispanic populations are the primary minority and are increasing (mostly from Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador). Washington is a sanctuary state and is one of two states that issues driver's licenses to illegal aliens. There are small advocacy groups here that hamstring immigration officials. As with many parts of the country there seems to be a portion of the population that doesn't want to assimilate. So even for a small, country town like Forks you now have special Hispanic market stores and dual labeling in the grocery store, self-segregating neighborhoods, impacts to the schools--the kids get exposure to English at school but Spanish outside. Buddies of mine played in the town soccer teams in Port Angeles and the hispanics wouldn't play on other teams, but instead formed their own, wouldn't attend the gatherings held for all the teams. Tend to be very self-excluding(?) in the community.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:37 PM

297 posts, read 1,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Speaking for myself, the big draw of the Pacific Northwest is the high ratio of whites to other groups, plus the scenery (when weather allows).

I am burned out on "diversity" which too often manifests itself as crime and/or a culture of hanging out in the yard making a bunch of racket. Yes, I know certain types of white people do that, but there are general behaviors that closely fit stereotypes in the real world. Political-correctness sheds light on nothing.

The cloudy weather seems like the price one has to pay for escape to WhiteLand. I suspect certain ethnic groups require more sunshine, biologically, than others. Or warmer temperatures, at least. I have been long debating whether the crummy weather for much of the year justifies the escape-factor.
King County and several other counties in Washington are hardly "white land" anymore and the state becomes more diverse by the day. I hear many different languages spoken on any given day. Also most of the whites in Seattle are very progressive and liberal so your views might be outside of the norm.

When I lived in CA, the conservative whites who were looking to "escape" diversity weren't even considering Washington State. They were going to places like Idaho, Montana, Texas and the Midwest. If I were you I would consider those places first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area