Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 PM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

What is the history of sports teams in Seattle? Do you feel that Seattle should have all the major league sports by now, given that some cities smaller than Seattle already have them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 10:15 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Just lucky, I guess. They tend to be parasites.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,210 times
sonicsgate.com

Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 AM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
Seattle has Soccer, Baseball and American Football. All of which I have seen sell plenty of merchandise around the area. I really don't know of that many people in the state that wear much basketball merchandise (outside of UW or the other schools). Am I missing something? I, personally, haven't seen a real market for basketball. Hockey I could see making it out here.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:56 AM

260 posts, read 757,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
Seattle has Soccer, Baseball and American Football. All of which I have seen sell plenty of merchandise around the area. I really don't know of that many people in the state that wear much basketball merchandise (outside of UW or the other schools). Am I missing something? I, personally, haven't seen a real market for basketball. Hockey I could see making it out here.

Yes, you are definitely missing something. In 2008 when the OKC Thunder franchise stole the Sonics from Seattle, people, myself included, were so embittered and upset by it that they just didn't wear their Sonics gear anymore. That, and there wasn't a team to root for of course. The whole Sonicsgate scandal left a bad taste in many people's mouths with regards to the NBA. That said, there was and still is a huge basketball market. Just recently, people, including the likes of Gary Payton, gathered together in solidarity to support Chris Hansen and his arena. The Sonics were the oldest and best Seattle sports team, and it's a crying shame they're now in Oklahoma City. We'll definitely get another team though, possibly within two seasons. It all depends on that damn arena though. Then we'll have at least three teams.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Are the Thunderbirds and Rockets still around? Seattle and Tacoma had some good minor league hockey teams several years a go - but I moved to southern California where there are two NHL teams - both of whom have won the Stanley Cup within the last six years(Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings). I went to a few T-Birds games - are they still playing? Seattle would be a good NHL expansion city - IMO.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I don't know that hockey would do that well here, and even basketball may not be the same as it was with the Sonics. Keep in mind that the big local employers have hired thousands of young people, many from other countries, and that has increased the interest in soccer enough that Sounders home games average over 40,000. There is some competition for the sports fan dollar, when there are a lot of home games. Football will always draw well because of the limited games. I'm not real confident about the new arena after reading the comments by the City Council. Sounds
a lot like a repeat of the past.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 AM

325 posts, read 787,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't know that hockey would do that well here, and even basketball may not be the same as it was with the Sonics. Keep in mind that the big local employers have hired thousands of young people, many from other countries, and that has increased the interest in soccer enough that Sounders home games average over 40,000. There is some competition for the sports fan dollar, when there are a lot of home games. Football will always draw well because of the limited games. I'm not real confident about the new arena after reading the comments by the City Council. Sounds a lot like a repeat of the past.
You are completely missing the point in regards to soccer. It has history here dating to at least 1974, and I would venture to say that young people hired from other countries (or even from elsewhere in the United States) makes up a very small percentage of those at Sounders games. And there are plenty of young people elsewhere in the country that do not support their local MLS teams. There's got to be more to it than number of young people here for the team to completely dominate the MLS attendance rankings such as history of the sport here, passion for the sport among long-time Seattle-area residents, etc.

Otherwise, I think that Seattle in general is very hesitant about putting any tax money towards professional sports franchises, and that has a lot to do with it no basketball/hockey here. However, it appears that the new deal for this arena is very friendly to tax payers, so it may pass, and the NBA may return and the NHL may make its first venture into Seattle.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
Unfortunately it just happens this way sometimes. LA doesn't have all 4 either and nobody here seems to care. USC is sort of the team around here I guess for football.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:32 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Because Clay Bennett took your NBA franchise away. Even though I'm a Philadelphia sports fans and live about 3000 miles away from Seattle, I do feel bad that you guys lost your beloved SuperSonics after I watched Sonicgate. Clay Bennett was really a jerk for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area