Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 PM

136 posts, read 244,578 times

Advertisements

Seattle seems to be moving toward the direction of economic powerhouse.

Amazon is growing rapidly and moving to the city core.

The city is getting a much better transportation system in the next few years.

The waterfront is being redeveloped, new skyscrapers are being built, and the population is rapidly increasing.

But what does all of this mean for the city. Will it ever become a world class (Alpha) city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,051 times
Although the Metropolitan areas has something like 3 million inhabitants within its city limits Seattle has around 650K or so. As soon as you leave downtown and adjacent areas everything looks decidedly suburban with a few strip malls and chain outlets mixed in. It's going to take a long time before Seattle can compare itself to places like NYC, London, Berlin or Tokyo.

That said, its unique mixture of urban life and excellent access to amazing nature make it one of the best places to live in the world...and I hate having to leave this place at the end of July

Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle metro is up to 4 million now. I believe the census says 3.5 million? These census reports are also not 100% accurate. There has just been such a massive influx of people into the area and not a lot of people moving out. Also, Seattle is an isolated major business and industrial center for the Northwest region of the country, so the city feels much more prominent than it should for a city its size.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
Although the Metropolitan areas has something like 3 million inhabitants within its city limits Seattle has around 650K or so. As soon as you leave downtown and adjacent areas everything looks decidedly suburban with a few strip malls and chain outlets mixed in. It's going to take a long time before Seattle can compare itself to places like NYC, London, Berlin or Tokyo.

That said, its unique mixture of urban life and excellent access to amazing nature make it one of the best places to live in the world...and I hate having to leave this place at the end of July
Sorry to hear that, you'll miss the best 6 weeks of the year here.

I agree with you, and like it this way much better than if it became like those other cities.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
Seattle seems to be moving toward the direction of economic powerhouse.
Amazon is growing rapidly and moving to the city core.
The city is getting a much better transportation system in the next few years.
The waterfront is being redeveloped, new skyscrapers are being built, and the population is rapidly increasing.
But what does all of this mean for the city. Will it ever become a world class (Alpha) city?
With the inevitable cost-of-living /pollution / congestion increases this would entail?
I hope not!!!
I'm happy Seattle is a PNW-class city.
If I want "world class", I can go and visit New York, Tokio, etc etc, then return to normalcy.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
I think people in this area are afraid of having "world class" next to it's name. We all know Seattle is a great city, but alot of People look at places like Vancouver and see how change and being World Class isn't always a good thing. But I for one think seattle can be and Alpha city. As much as people try to denote change, it is necessary. Industrial Areas of downtown may not be industrial for long. Condos will pop up, and Seattle will be a true example of urban living. Yes that does come with it's downfalls, Higher cost of living, more congestion. But I think the city owes it to the next generation (my generation) to provide a platform for the city to thrive on. Stubbornness and bad planning from politicians and city leaders in the Mid-20 century, are reason why former world class american cities are now the butt of everyone's joke. I think Seattle should aim high for the future, no matter how reluctant alot of the public is.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
Eh, I don't think cities should try to be something they're not. Seattle has a lot to learn from alpha world cities, but there are also plenty of benefits to not having such status. Would you really want Seattle to sacrifice its greenery to be overdeveloped and congested, all in the name of economic progress? I'm moving from Chicago, which GaWC ranks as an "Alpha+" city, and there are definitely some things I'll be sad to give up (top notch shopping and cultural amenities, and that amazing skyline). But I think Seattle's beauty and hassle-free quality of life will offset that. Trying to be an influential city just for the sake of being influential is a bit silly.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I don't think people care what stupid ranking or listing or whatever our city is.

It's a great place for a lot of people. That's all there is to it.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:43 AM

507 posts, read 1,669,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Sorry to hear that, you'll miss the best 6 weeks of the year here.

I agree with you, and like it this way much better than if it became like those other cities.

I know,t hat makes it even worse I will have to try and cramp as much backpacking in as possible before then....but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I've been here a little over 20 years. I've talked to people who were here in the 70's and 80's, and said they liked it much better back then, when Seattle was more of a big sleepy villiage. Traffic was not really an issue, the sales tax was 4 percent instead of almost 10, and things were all-around more friendly and civil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area