Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Yet another example of why I will not live in the city of Seattle. The people who run the city are IDIOTS. Pair this story with one that ran on Kiro 7 tonight about a family whose two younger kids are being forced to go to a different elementary school than their older kid because the school district lost paperwork the parents filed. Even after blaming the family, then recognizing it was the district's error, the district will not budge. And I really hope McGinn isn't reelected, because he has done a ton of damage to transportation in the city, especially SLU/QA.
Interesting this happened in Seattle. When I moved to San Diego from Berkeley, the Berkeley school district lost a year and a half of my records. I have to repeat that year and a half. I love both cities but both are known for passing some crazy legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:01 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I think this is what happens when you have no political diversity. The extremists just tend to reinforce each other and you end up getting silly stuff like this that likely would have been shot down in the meeting by others with a different point of view. When everyone thinks the same, even silly things seem normal.

Great point. I recently read a history of the Reagan admin, and Reagan deliberately included a variety of perspectives in his admin. He wanted every proposal to be argued out, and tested by fire. He had movement conservatives like Meese, libertarians like William Niskanen, Walll Streeters like Don Regan, and establishment Republicans like James Baker.

In Seattle city gov't, we have had a monoculture for the last 20 years. Great point.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,537,341 times
All I could do upon hearing this is shake my head and smile. WOW. Just when I think nothing can surprise me anymore...

Old 12-22-2018, 11:46 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,906,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
You think we should start a petition drive to change "penmanship" to "penpersonship"?
"Gingerbreadperson?"

"Omsbudperson?"

"Mailperson?"

Old 12-22-2018, 12:56 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Well, the Council, through the vote, is representative of the will of the citizenry. Do we really want to elide the fact that, as representatives, they are responsible to the voters? No, they're just magically placed there by the "voting gods"!

They have, however, been elected to serve not just those who voted for them, but the public good. While the public is inclusive of the citizenry, it is not limited to it.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:38 PM

58 posts, read 134,527 times
National Public Radio, Dateline: Dec 19, 2018

Warning To Democrats: Most Americans Against U.S. Getting More Politically Correct

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/19/67734...ically-correct

Fifty-two percent of Americans, including a majority of independents, said they are against the country becoming more politically correct and are upset that there are too many things people can't say anymore. About a third said they are in favor of the country becoming more politically correct and like when people are being more sensitive in their comments about others.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:24 PM

4,909 posts, read 2,059,477 times
Sorry, but Scr*w the Seattle's City Council and all their silliness. They can't be that stupid, because if they're are, we're in trouble... You couldn't pay me to take these clowns serious because I don't think they even take themselves seriously.

Again, proof that a collage education doesn't mean that you're smart or even a leader.

The last time I checked my U.S. Passport, it said I was a citizen of the United States. On several federal government documents, I'm listed as a resident of the State of Washington... So with that said, I don't recognize anything the City of Seattle puts out since they're way too goofy to be taken seriously by anybody. The Seattle City Council should book themselves as an "off the strip" Las Vegas comedy group, because that's what they are.

I can't believe that my once great city has come to this... Just when you thought it couldn't get anymore ridiculous... But, I know that within a few months, they will do something more silly to top this one, which the rest of the State has to pay for and suffer through.

I'm a proud CITIZEN and I'll never stop referring to myself as a CITIZEN of the United States... The country I fought and bled for. If that should hurt some ILLEGAL ALIEN's feelings, too freaking bad. Both CITIZEN and ILLEGAL ALIEN are legal terms used in the laws covering both the Immigration and Naturalization Act and the United States Codes.

If the Seattle City Council feels that the words "brown bag" is wrong, how do they feel about people using the words "tea bag?"

Last edited by bergun; 12-27-2018 at 12:38 PM..

Old 12-27-2018, 05:51 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
I'm a liberal on many things, but agree that the PC stuff goes too far. And the City Council has has at least one nutjob and a partial or few.

"Citizen" is probably too narrow though, if the writer means to include others. For example if you're talking about a park, obviously lots of other people visit them, like tourists, resident aliens, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area